Radiator Placement...

enigmaxiv

I am new to building up a full fledged race car and in my engine bay I am confined to space for what I am gonna do and I am wondering am I able to, with out being told no, place the radiator in the trunk area as along as it is safley covered and use the appropriate coolant lines?

Well I planned on using fans directly on the radiator. I have seen quite a few race cars that have the radiator in back that have fans on them and I didnt know if that was legal in NASA or not. I plan to have them run basically as soon as the car starts so that way they stay cool. But I just need to know if it legal or not.

I cant give you a yes/no answer. But instead leave you with this:

A. Read the CCRs.You will need to know them to be a racer anyway.

B. What class are you building a car for?

C. WHY on earth would you need to move your radiator to begin with? (All the cooling air you need is in the front of the car ).

D. Did I mention the KISS method? Keep It Simple ! You will have greater reliability this way.

Best of luck.

Honestly... I am building a Time Trial Car. And for what I can see as long as I dont go tubular conversions and stuff like that I am fine. As long as I use Braided Steel Lines for the hot fluids and gas. And in order to fit the twin turbos that I am building and am going to fit in there the radiator takes up too much room. Thats why I am wanting to put the radiator in the back. I know that all the air cooling is in the front of the vehicle. But I believe that if I have dual fans on both sides of the radiator I will achieve good cooling with that. But also for the size of the intercooler I need more room.

So what are you building? (trying to get an idea how big the engine bay is)

Have you done alot of road racing already?

I still think that its best to leave the rad and IC up front and perhaps relo the turbo.

I have a 96 Saturn SL2. I know. Funny. But to tell you the truth I dont care if ne one laughs. The engine bay is small and I am going to twin turbo it. hence why I am wanting to place the radiator in back but leave the intercooler in front. Understand were I am having troubles now? I have seen some one twin turbo the exact same model saturn before but he didnt have enough room for them to fit all to well. And I am building a race manifold not a log style manifold. I mean I guess I can fit it in the were I can keep everything up front but as odd as it sounds it sounds easier to build the manifold were there is no radiator for spooling issues and stuff.

Nothing wrong with building a saturn for TT or PT for that matter.

so I ask again.....

Have you done alot of road racing already?

This is important.

If you do not have ALOT of road racing experience, taking a highly modded car to the track is going to be an expensive learning exersize. I am sure many other members here will agree. It is important to build the driving experience before spending lots of weekends wrenching your car at the track.

So with that said, I am not trying to discourage you. I only want to make sure you know what to expect, and to suggest keeping things simple.

I still think that its best to leave the rad and IC up front and perhaps relo the turbo.

I dont see any reason why you can't have an intercooler and a radiator up front with atleast ONE turbo. You really dont NEED 2 turbos.

Let me also suggest this...have you checked to see what TT and PT classes your car will end up in with your intended mods? Will you be up against a new Z06 corvette? Nothing like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Be sure to plan carefully and dont hesitate to just get out and drive what you have. You might have fun.