Which turbo for '97 miata 1.8L

bradnr

That's funny you say that because I just sold an 02 Z06. I couldn't afford to wreck the z06, so I sold it and bought a daily driver and an old miata. I want a turbo on the miata, so it can lay down the power of my old vette. Now, I just gotta figure out which turbo will meet my needs.

yeah, current issue SCC covers some of their build thus far. and the car can be seen at events around socal. but i think it said they hit 183 or so on the 1.8 with a GT25, if that helps out at all.

yeah, that was with an FM kit with a crappy tune at 9 psi and 91 octane. With a boost logic kit on a built stroker motor, they got 250-260 something at 7 pounds with a gt28 something, maybe a disco, not sure.

Hey Brad -

First, you're in Indy so if you want to make a Miata go fast talk to Shane Benson. In addition to Spec Miata work, he is currently campaigning a super fast Miata in one of the top TT classes, TTU or TTR. I can't remember which, he passes me so fast the class letters are just a blur...

Second, my personal recommendation for a turbo would be....none. I know it might be a little harder coming from a high HP car like a Z06, but I think you really can enjoy a Miata without FI. Look at the Spec Miata lap times - those guys are moving at a pretty good clip out there and having alot of fun. I have a 1.8l in my Miata and I'm having a blast in TTE, you could do a little more to the car and still have fun in TTD even.

If you do decide to go with turbo - I'd look at the TTS class. It is based on weight/power ratio. It is also the slowest of the unlimited (TTU, TTR, TTS) classes which means it's fast and expensive but not insanely expensive. So when considering a turbo, I'd figure out your car's weight and try to stay in this class range.

Hope that helps,

- Mark

I would recommend a GT2860RS (Disco Potato turbo) but with a 0.64 A/R turbine housing (SCC tested the larger 0.86 housing on the SR20DET). The smaller housing would work great on a 1.8L engine. The part number is 739548-5. If you plan on running less than 12 psi then you will also need the low boost actuator 759498-1, which is good for as low as 6-8 psi. Good luck.

I'd recommend supercharging your Miata.... lower intake temps, instant response, fantastic area under the curve with the right kits

or skip that all together and learn to go fast by cornering instead of horsepower

I'd recommend supercharging your Miata.... lower intake temps, instant response, fantastic area under the curve with the right kits

LOWER intake air temps?? I think not, unless there is an intercooler of some sort involved. The SC cars have much higher IAT's which is why a Jackson Racing-equipped Miata can easily ping at 6psi on a hot day, and a turbo running 15 psi is nowhere near the knock threshold. Your other comments hold true, but for a serious track Miata I would almost always pick a turbo.

I've got something special in mind for Brad's car...

d'oh, I neglected to mention that, I'm so used to hanging around the guys with the hotside MP62s and FMICs that I forgot to mention the FMIC

HOLY SMOKES Shane and I talked yesterday, and he has some amazing stuff planned for my car. I had a rough idea what I wanted to do with the car, and he had a very similar but MUCH better plan. All I can say is you guys are going to want to check out the black miata with the red top on it. I'm sure AIM tuning will be posted on the car somewhere.

Thanks Shane and thanks to everyone for your feedback on this blog!

I do love a well set up, big SC system... MP62's have great power potential!

Brad has been kind enough to extend his car to AIM for us to evaluate a custom in-house system for track-dedicated Miatas... He will be test driving and competing with the car in Time Trials this year. This will provide us with valuable feedback in our development of a possible turbo Spec Miata class, hopefully soon coming to a NASA event near you!

We hope to have at least one car available for drivers to sample very shortly (the first will be a 1.6 car that is further along the development path than Brad's car!)