hyperdrives

jon dawes

so i'm signed up. is this multiple laps around the jefferson circuit? what if i decide i don't want to drive any more and i'm only half way around? can i just turn on the hazards and walk back

yes, infact you can lay down in the middle of the track, just over the hill approaching T5 and meditate on it.

The next car through will eliminate any future questions you may have of this sort.

[my .02]

typical HPDE sessions are 20 minutes in length.

[/.02]

If you budget approx 60 minutes to include:

_ time on pregrid

_ on track time

_ debrief with your instructor afterward

... that should be fairly accurate I would think.

Classroom could be 30-45 minutes, not included above.

Have fun and listen to your instructor.

ok.

now i figure i'll average 47.132 seconds per lap, so that's about 24.5 laps in 20 minutes.

Typical Hyperdrive lap around Jefferson is more like 80-90sec.

Jon

awe come on! i was hoping you'd play my little game with me. the fastest time i could find was a run by ???? in 1999 in a Reynard that was 47.133 so i figured i'd best him my first time out!

honestly my goal is simply to stay on the track with the car pointed 'forward' at all times.

You can DO it! Reynards are showcars compared to Mustangs!

Not that you should even be thinking about times, but a fast lap around JC in a street legal car is somewhere between 58 and 62sec from what I recall.

Just be safe and have fun,

Jon

i've been reading over the CCRs in my spare time [insert guffaw] and am wondering what 11.3.6 means by "safety glass":

It is recommended that any corrective eyeglass material used be made of safety glass type that meets U.S. Government standards.

i realize this says "recommended" not "mandated", but hell i need a new pair of corrective glasses so might as well do what's recommended, right?

i've been reading over the CCRs in my spare time [insert guffaw] and am wondering what 11.3.6 means by "safety glass":

It is recommended that any corrective eyeglass material used be made of safety glass type that meets U.S. Government standards.

i realize this says "recommended" not "mandated", but hell i need a new pair of corrective glasses so might as well do what's recommended, right?

No reason not too.. Since you have to run windows down, a bug in the eye at speed may not feel too good.

You can pick up safety sunglasses at Home Depot for $10...

sorry, let me clarify. we're talking "corrective eyeglasses" here not just safety glasses. it appears the reg suggests that prescription lenses be the same grade as safety glasses. i'm just wondering if this was the intent or if it meant wear safety glasses over my regular glasses. . . but that doesn't make sense cause there's not a lot of room in the helmet for any more than my regular prescription eyeglasses.

does that better explain my question

sorry, let me clarify. we're talking "corrective eyeglasses" here not just safety glasses. it appears the reg suggests that prescription lenses be the same grade as safety glasses. i'm just wondering if this was the intent or if it meant wear safety glasses over my regular glasses. . . but that doesn't make sense cause there's not a lot of room in the helmet for any more than my regular prescription eyeglasses.

does that better explain my question

Ah, I see the reason for the suggestion.. Even with the visor down, your corrective lenses, if they aren't safety glass quality, could in a rare instance shatter and do bad things to your eyes..

You know the risks and likelyhood of an incedent occuring where your glasses may be shattered. Judge for yourself the impact (no pun intended) of the situation and make choice.

Having worn prescription glasses most of my life I feel comfortable contributing to this discussion. Most of the lens made today are plastic and not glass. Those lens that are glass are tempered so that if the lens shatters that it is not a sharp edged pieces that gets in your eye.

awe come on! i was hoping you'd play my little game with me. the fastest time i could find was a run by ???? in 1999 in a Reynard that was 47.133 so i figured i'd best him my first time out!

honestly my goal is simply to stay on the track with the car pointed 'forward' at all times.

So did you have fun? And did you learn something?

Jon

i certainly hope i learned some thing/s. i guess i won't find out til the next time i go out on a track.

one thing i've been learning is that a "fast" car doesn't necessarily mean a "fast" driver. after getting whooped in autocrosses by a hyundai accent and getting passed handily by several "not as fast as my mustang" cars on the hyperdrive, it's settling in that the driver is the first thing that matters.

i'm just anxious to get out on the track again. i'm saving up for the supplemental insurance policy so i won't have to worry. after all those collisions this weekend [is that normal?] i'm sold on getting the mustang insured for HPDE.

i'm just anxious to get out on the track again. i'm saving up for the supplemental insurance policy so i won't have to worry. after all those collisions this weekend [is that normal?] i'm sold on getting the mustang insured for HPDE.

Not really. You have to remember there was A LOT of people at hyperfest. None of the other events are anywhere near that crowded.

that's sorta what i thought. the guy i was "spectating" next to in the tower [instructor, name??] said the same thing. lots of cars on the track and the probability of collisions/off tracks naturally goes up. i just didn't expect to see HPDE cars banged up [the red Evo taken out on a flat bed and the blue WRX damaged on 3 of 4 sides].

regardless, i'm moving forward!!!!

there are alot of people typically at VIR as well

I heard it was alot of DE3 and 4 guys not following pointby procedure and getting together... is this true?

unfortunately, i left my personal-sized blimp at home so i couldn't get an aerial view of the entire track all at once and, as you could imagine, most of the action happened wherever i wasn't! i think that's what i heard though [that it was DE 3/4 drivers].

there was also an engine fire in one of the 944s according to the pictures i saw.

I heard it was alot of DE3 and 4 guys not following pointby procedure and getting together... is this true?

Not true. There was one minor incident that was the result of a mistaken point-by, but both cars/drivers continued throughout the weekend. Meanwhile the red Evo driver lost his brakes and the blue Subie driver got into some oil (all separate incidents in various sessions.)

I had no issues myself and witnessed normal driving in HPDE4 all weekend as well as the three HPDE2 sessions during which I was an instructor and the two HPDE3 sessions during which I was a passenger.

YMMV of course...

Jon