hyperdrives

jon dawes

unfortunately, i left my personal-sized blimp at home so i couldn't get an aerial view of the entire track all at once and, as you could imagine, most of the action happened wherever i wasn't! i think that's what i heard though [that it was DE 3/4 drivers].

there was also an engine fire in one of the 944s according to the pictures i saw.

that 944 was a race car. Looked like it blew the motor downshifting for 5, as it appeared to leave some oil on the track. Then a big cloud of white smoke from the exhaust as he tried to refire it in the infield of the caroussel.

HPDE 1 & 2 had no major incidents. I saw a WRX wagon and Miata go off at one. The Miata had to be pulled out, the WRX drove out. The last session there was, an FFR Cobra off at 10 (with broken suspension) and a separate car spun at 3 on Saturday. No damage to anyone's car that I know of.

In HPDE 3, there were two cars smoking badly which likely led to the WRX hitting the wall. Reports were that there was fluid (coolant) laid down. Another car had spun in one a few laps before the crash. I don't know what it takes to black flag someone, but a constant plume of smoke behind the car should be enough to signal him in for a closer look

See pics here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282911&page=5

Also, there are a few nice Hyper Fest pictures here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1291498

If you track your daily driver, and can get that insured, great. Both incidents ( WRX and Evo/Mustang) show that it doesn't matter how carefull you are as a driver, you cannot control everything else that may happen out there. Just like on the street

Gonz.

anybody know whose mustang it was that was involved with the Evo incident? just curious as a mustang driver. . . it HAD to have been the Evo's fault [KIDDING of course]. i feel bad for the owner of the evo but am glad s/he is ok. no airbag? it looks like a total or near total loss:

broke.jpg

Edited by Guest

without really looking at whats broken, car value, and parts costs, you might as well flip a coin to tell if a car is totaled or not unless its much much much much worse than that

anybody know whose mustang it was that was involved with the Evo incident? just curious as a mustang driver. . . it HAD to have been the Evo's fault [KIDDING of course].

Yes, a CMC hopeful for the VIR SuperComp school. And no need to kid. The Mustang turned in at T1 and the Evo hit him in the right rear. There was some mention of brake failure (shut up, Chad ). Besides some body damage, it broke the rear rotor and axle. I suspect the wheel too, didn't notice or ask. He thrashed late into the night on Saturday and with help from the Thunder racers was back out on Sunday. For him, I guess you could call it good practice for making races.