FNG ? HPDE

ajobrien

Howdy

I am going to my first NASA event. I have a cage in the car, race seat, and five point.

1. Do I need a window net?

2. Do I need a seat back brace?

Thanks for all your help.

No window net. You actually can't have on in HPDE due to the requirement for a point by for passing.

I would have to double check the CCR, but I don't think that a seat brace is required for HPDE, and in racing it depends on the type of seat if it is required or not.

Hey there.

I hope the cage, seat and 5 point are installed and not just loose in the car....All loose items have to be removed.

HPDE is not racing, timed or of any competitive nature. HPDE one ( I am assuming that is what you are registered for ) will be similar to spirited driving on the street. As you move up through HPDE the average speed of the session will greatly increase.

All the answers you seek regarding procedure and rules are available here.

Be sure to read everything atleast 3X and read the CCRs as many times if not more....you'd be surprised how many new things you will find reading the same stuff again. Be sure to have the flags memorized. Make a bad mistake with a red flag or waving yellow and you might be sitting the weekend out in the penalty box.

Have fun....and what region are you in and what track are you going to?

Thanks, No window net.

The seat is aluminum Kirkey. I will be puting a seat brace in, but not for this event, I want to make sure the seat it in the best place.

...I don't think that a seat brace is required for HPDE,...

you are correct !

BUT....in the CCR it does say that the same level of safety should be available for the instructor as what is installed for the driver. (seat, harness, padding, etc.)

BUT....in the CCR it does say that the same level of safety should be available for the instructor as what is installed for the driver. (seat, harness, padding, etc.)

No it doesn't.

I will be running in the HPDE 4/TT license test in nor cal.

I have been an instructor for the Audi club for the past 6 years.

I have been doing track events for 10 years or so. The car has just too many track mods so time to get more involved, I have read the CCR, and know the flags very well.

Oh and I did weld the cage in and the seat is bolted down

No it doesn't.

LOL...Chad is right.

If you modify the car from stock, you then do have to comply with the CCR

So a moded car need to meet the CCR's but will not have a window net?

That is why I am asking you guy, I don't want to show up and get sent home for not haveing what I need.

The car is gutted, Caged and no pass. seat, holes in the fire wall plated off. and so on.

Thanks

That is why I am asking you guy, I don't want to show up and get sent home for not haveing what I need.

The car is gutted, Caged and no pass. seat, holes in the fire wall plated off. and so on.

Thanks

no window nets in HPDE so you can give a point by

Thanks

If the seat is out of date (SFI) then it needs a back brace. Are the kirks even SFI certified? If not they must have a brace.

15.6.22 Seat Back Support

A seatback support must be made to hold the seat from going back in the event of a crash. A plate should be used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects should be placed in such a manner that could lead to a possible puncture of the driver in a high impact crash. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is recommended that the driver employ the services of a professional race car builder for this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may be made for those

seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance, with FIA 8855-1999 standards.

Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999 set of regulations. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old. Please reference the FIA regulations. http://www.fia.com/

No window nets are requiredm but yes, anything you modify should follow the CCR to be 'legal'. Fuel Cell, Cage, Belts, Seat, etc.

Thanks all, you have been a great help.

The CCRs are a great tool, but interoperation is a hold different story.

How do I get a mentor? (I could use some help loading and unloading)

Thanks

If you have no passenger seat, where will the instructor sit?

Thanks

Thanks

DOH!!! My bad, saw FNG and thought first timer (HPDE 1)....

contact the regional director where you're going to run to get the straight scoop. Some regions have slightly different procedures - e.g. some charge extra if you want to get a tech insp done at the track.

cheers,

bruce

Here in NASA-SE there is a tech form that you can down load. Before each event you need to have it filled out. Either go over the car yourself or have a mechanic do it for you. I do my own most of the time. I have had it looked at by a mechanic when I was having other work done on the car. They will also go over your car at the track. Normally the tech is done Friday night at the track after you pick up your registration packet.