DriverGT5

Who wants neck restraints?

DriverGT5

I'm taking advantage of my new Charlotte digs and heading over to the showroom of Safety Solutions on Friday. These are the guys that make the R3, Hutchens, Hutchens Hybrid, etc. I think all told they have 5 different restraints, and they are the only group that makes SFI approved units other than Hanns. If anyone wants to come Friday afternoon around 3-4ish let me know. Otherwise I plan to get a whole slew of info and pass it along to you guys, including any possible group buys.

Obviously I'm interested in something for the race car, but I'm also planning to ask about instructor devices as well. What she said on the phone already was the R3 is the best unit in a 3-point belt and harness configuration. I'm going to try them all on and see how they rate on comfort, ease of use, ease of removal, interference with getting out of the vehicle, and portability from car to car. Any other questions you want me to ask, post here.

Rob

kbrew8991

fwiw, noticed alot of professional drag racers chose the R3 or Hybrid X (assume thats the Hutchens Hybrid...?) over the Hans... around 3 to 1. Late night TV boredom. They see alot of glancing crashes, probably the biggest factor in that choice to them is how they protect in that instance.

doesn't look like there is really much choice for an instructor other than the R3, but I would be interested to see if there was anything else made that might work with any seatbelt config...

Falcon

I've got the R3 and have used it for a couple of years. No issues at all. There was a GP over on the Corvette Forum for either HANS or R3's a couple of weeks ago, I don't know whether it's still in effect or not?

Bruce L.

they're not shipping yet, but the Leatt brace MOTO-R also has SFI 38.1 clearance.

bruce

Lemming

I have an R3. Main reason for choosing it over others was for instructing.

McGyver

Rob

You must have read my mind as I've been looking for an R3 and wrote to

LFT Tech about using the R3 with my G-Force helmet's existing points.

Also asked if they would be interested in a GP for NASA. Never got a reply at all! Hope you have better luck there.

I found a brand new one on RacingJunk.com from a source in Washington (state) and it arrived today. Paid $900 for the complete package with release hooks, foam liner insert etc and it was here in three days.

So you now live in the Charlotte region leaving your Clemson buddies behind?? Not nice!

McGyver

DriverGT5
fwiw, noticed alot of professional drag racers chose the R3 or Hybrid X (assume thats the Hutchens Hybrid...?) over the Hans... around 3 to 1. Late night TV boredom. They see alot of glancing crashes, probably the biggest factor in that choice to them is how they protect in that instance.

Have you ever seen a drag racer hit something just once? They tend to hit a wall then spin into a few more walls or start flipping and hit the ground a few times. I suspect that is the reason the R3 and hybrid are so popular.

they're not shipping yet, but the Leatt brace MOTO-R also has SFI 38.1 clearance.

bruce

I guess I should have said "the only SFI approved devices that you'll be able to purchase for the next 6 months." The Leatt brace has been on hold for a long time and even then, has no proven record yet.

Fred Crawford

Have you ever seen a drag racer hit something just once? They tend to hit a wall then spin into a few more walls or start flipping and hit the ground a few times. I suspect that is the reason the R3 and hybrid are so popular.

bruce

I guess I should have said "the only SFI approved devices that you'll be able to purchase for the next 6 months." The Leatt brace has been on hold for a long time and even then, has no proven record yet.

You planning to wear one while you are putting your car back together

Fc

Safety Inspector

HBennett

Driver, it's good you've made a decision to use a HNR. Both the Hybrid and the R3 are pretty good devices.

Fred, yes, the Leatt-Brace is still on hold. A lot of people don't know their smart tether system (SSS, I believe it is called) is required to pass SFI. Their lowest priced version looks to be $400 up to $1,000 for their Pro version, not including any duties or shipping, when it ships. They also recommend it be replaced every 3 years. Not such a bargain after that.

kbrew, your numbers are a little off. With our new involvement with NHRA/IHRA, I've been doing some informal at the track surveys while working with racers. A lot of the pros have switched to the R3. Some are even migrating on to the HybridX, but the HANS Device still has a majority of the pro drivers, something like 50% (I guess we need to get some faster racers). I attended the NHRA event in Englishtown last weekend to work with the sportsman racers. I'll reference two classes, alcohol funny car and dragster. In funny car, 18 entrants, 1 Hybrid, 17 HANS. In dragster, I couldn't find anything other than HANS Device users.

McGyver, I don't think you will be able to use the GF SRS-1 mounting points. I use to be with GF. I know a lot of the drag racers are using their old HANS Device anchors for the R3. I understand they are close enough according to SS.

I am planning to be at CMP next month (my first actual race in AI and it will be as a novice). I have been running TT with SCCA and a couple with NASA in the past.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

McGyver

Howard...guess I'll know better when I open the box on my birthday Saturday and try it with the GF points. Leave Sun PM for VIR so want to get it correct by then.

The R3 calls for mount points 4.75" from center and 1" up.

My GF helmet are 4.375" from center and 2.5" up.

Close, but thats only good in horseshoes, not life!

McGyver

HBennett

I know one of the issues with their SRS-1 is it wants to rotate the helmet back off the head in an impact. The HANS anchor points are 6" from center and 1.5" up from the molding edge. This is supposedly close enough for the R3 users to use. The GF points seem closer than our points.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

Mberglo

I am planning to be at CMP next month (my first actual race in AI and it will be as a novice). I have been running TT with SCCA and a couple with NASA in the past.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

Howard,

Did you get a new toy? I know you've been trying to sell the Mustang. What did you get?

I actually bought YOUR old Mustang from Scott Loudenslager. I hope to do comp school next year and join you and the others in AI.

Mark

Ed M.

Howard,

I'm glad to hear you're gonna make our CMP event and even more glad that you'll be running with us in AI! We should have a pretty good field. I'd like to chat with you a little about H&N restraints if we get the chance. Will you, by chance, be bringing several of your HANS devices (different sizes/models) for those of us who are shoping to try on?

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Ed

kbrew8991

Howard - my data wasn't very scientific, just saw what they were taking off as they hopped out of their cars to be interviewed, but what I saw was the ratio I stated... but based on that I think your number of "others" is low

Rob, I'd like to know what the makers of these devices think the most common type of impact is at our level (glancing, straight on, multiple hits, etc)

HBennett

Mberglo, no, I don't any other toy right now. I had my eye on a little Lotus clone (Locost????) with a rotary engine out of Huntsville. I would have to sell the Mustang first. I saw the posting on another website about you buying Scott's car which was mine. I'm not sure what else he did with it except Brembo's up front but that was a pretty good car.

etm, I will try to bring a few devices with me for you to try. I look forward to seeing you again.

kbrew, the numbers for the pro classes are based on talking with drivers in the pits and standing in the grid lines checking off each driver and which device they were using. When I said informal surveys, no one was confirming my findings and I was merging info gathered from our drag racing rep that supplies me with reports after each event. A lot of the more visible pros (Force, Capps and several others that get a lot of TV time) are using the R3 or the HybridX). That's why I said we need to get some faster drivers.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

kbrew8991

for drag racing, find the faster crew chiefs

drdisco69

As an instructor, I am very interested in the R3 device, although there are a couple more strap systems that allow use with any restraint system. The drawback I see to something like the Hutchens or D-Cel is that the straps have to be replaced after 3 years, which makes the R3 system pay for itself right there. Jason Peck is also very interested, as are several other people I personally spoke with that instruct and would like a neck restraint system that allows them to use it in any car. My track cars all have 3 point belts anyway, as do my friends.

Rob, you have PM.

jhall1957

Any word on Group buy for R3's????? My brother and I are both looking and leaning towards R3 also because of the intructor advantage. He is instructing and I plan to asap.

McGyver

Just received information about a group buy and here are the details:

We will honor a group buy in for NASA racers. If you have a group of 5 we will give you $50 off the Retail Price of $995 and a group of 10 we will give $100 off. The order must be submitted via email or fax with all the model/sizing information and shipping address along with proof of NASA Licenses. The payment (i.e.: credit card) information can be given over the phone. We will drop ship them individually, as long as the information is supplied in the order.

How we know how many orders are received is up to their honesty. It appears they are not asking for someone to collect the money, information, sizes and handle shipping. Do you think we should pursue this as instructors or DE drivers are not eligible unless we can 'use another competition driver' to buy two or more each, which would appear strange? Rob, are you ready to buy two? Randy, FC, Jim, Tom...

McGyver

DriverGT5

Well, my trip is in the books and I've learned more about H&N Restraints than I ever could have on my own.

The first thing you'll notice when you visit Safety Solutions is the high level of service. I guess it's the womans touch, what with 4 of the 5 employees being female. They were awesome, walking me thtough the pro's and con's of each device, explaining how they all work, and going into details about safety systems in general. These guys know their stuff too. I have heard they have made over 200 sled runs with various devices in all kinds of configurations. All in all, it was a good way to spend a few hours of my day.

Before I get into H&N Restraints, I think I really need to touch on something else here. If you are a racer with $1000 to spend on a H&N Restraint, but don't have a really good seat yet, don't bother. The one thing I've learned this trip (and at Rockingham) is how important a good seat is. They would rather you go buy a nice seat (that they don't even sell) than spend money on a neck restraint. A good seat is a solid metal unit with tight rib supports, a solid halo, and shoulder restraints are a good idea. A seat like this is going to out preform a neck restraint like crazy in every direction but forward. More importantly, what kills drivers is not one injury, but usually a combination of injuries. The seat protects the head, neck, internal organs, and extremities. Given this information, I have a new respect for Hanns devices that fail in side impacts, because with a proper seat, that issue is all but eliminated in a true racecar making the Hanns a good choice with the other equipment in place.

Ok, now the goods because lets face it, almost none of us has a $1200 seat and only races. For us racers only, the Hutchens Hybrid is an awesome device that outperforms everything else Safety Solutions makes, as well as competing devices. It directs the load path behind your back and into the harness system. Because of this, it spreads the force along several areas and will only work with a harness. If all you do is race, this is definitely the one to buy. You're going to see a lot of pro-drivers switching to this in the near future.

For those of us who want to instruct, the R3 is the only choice. Right now it's the only restraint that will work without harness belts. More than that, the belts don't do anything for the device, it's all self contained. The R3 is a bit longer than the Hybrid, and using this lever action to counter the force by the helmet. The chest strap directs the force over your rib cage via a thick belt. The R3 will work in the race car, or in your students 350Z. It comes with a high density pad that you attach to your seat, or for $72 more, you get a nice portable case that you can put in a students car. The surprising thing for me and the R3 is how thin it was. They look so big in pictures but I doubt it's more than .75" really. It's comfortable in a padded seat, but aluminum needs the pad for sure. The new design also features a lower back. People were concerned with the bill digging in as you tried to get out upside down. With the new model, it should be very easy to get in and out.

Finally, if you are tight on cash, but want something that works, the D-cell is a great device for $425. This unit is a self contained webbing that many 1/4 midget's and karters wear. It is not SFI approved but if you do a lot of instructing, it will greatly reduce the forces in the car. It's not nearly as good as the R3 or Hybrid, but it's less than 1/2 the cost too. It looks a lot like a parachute rig when you look at it.

After my visit I'm sold. I'm going to place my order for the R3 on Monday so I can have it by CMP. If you guys have any questions, just let me know. There is probably a lot more info I'm not providing.

DriverGT5
Just received information about a group buy and here are the details:

We will honor a group buy in for NASA racers. If you have a group of 5 we will give you $50 off the Retail Price of $995 and a group of 10 we will give $100 off. The order must be submitted via email or fax with all the model/sizing information and shipping address along with proof of NASA Licenses. The payment (i.e.: credit card) information can be given over the phone. We will drop ship them individually, as long as the information is supplied in the order.

How we know how many orders are received is up to their honesty. It appears they are not asking for someone to collect the money, information, sizes and handle shipping. Do you think we should pursue this as instructors or DE drivers are not eligible unless we can 'use another competition driver' to buy two or more each, which would appear strange? Rob, are you ready to buy two? Randy, FC, Jim, Tom...

McGyver

Do they want a comp license or just a NASA Membership ID? Seems like they'd sell to instructors and racers alike.

DriverGT5

BTW if anyone is interested in the group buy, SS is collecting orders and when they have 5 or 10 they will place it. They get a discount in production when they order a large batch, which is where the $100 off we're seeing comes from. I have been informed that if I want to set foot behind the wheel of a car at CMP, I need a neck restraint. (That's what happens when Mom sees you hit a wall)

I went ahead and ordered mine, but those of you who can wait should be able to save $50 or $100.

McGyver

So how much weight have you knocked off...bad part is the aero package is shot to hell!!

Hurry and get another beast to use for the remainder of the season!!

NutDriverRighty

Does anyone here have any experience with the ISAAC H&N restraint? Personally, I have a HANS. However, after the stuff I've seen about the ISAAC for the full 360* range of impacts, I wish I would've gotten one of them instead.

scott

HBennett

If anyone is interested, I expect to be at CMP this weekend. I'll be glad to help anyone with HNR issues or questions. I will probably bring a couple of devices with me to fit people with. Jim Pantas and the NASA crew should be able to direct anyone to where I am. I will probably have a HANS shirt on also. I won't be racing since I sold my car last weekend and have not found a replacement yet.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance