When is it not an "R" tire?

Jan in Omaha

Where is the cut off between an "R" tire with point value of +5 (treadware of 100+) and a "street tire" that will not receive a points assessment? 140 treadware? 160? 180?

• National Staff
Where is the cut off between an "R" tire with point value of +5 (treadware of 100+) and a "street tire" that will not receive a points assessment? 140 treadware? 160? 180?

Good question, Jan. In general, anything over 200 would be a street tire. If you have a particular tire in mind that is less than 200, I can take a look at it and give you a ruling.

Good question, Jan. In general, anything over 200 would be a street tire. If you have a particular tire in mind that is less than 200, I can take a look at it and give you a ruling.

You should know that I tend to find these type of questions by now.

Did you mean 200 and over would be generally considered a street tire OR treadware 201+? (all those guys with Falkens/HankookZ212/and BFGKD's would like to know)

Here's a number of interesting tires with treadware ratings between 100 and 200

Yokohama A022 = 120

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position = 140

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A = 140

Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A = 140

Bridgestone Potenza S-02 = 140

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 = 140

Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 = 140

Pirelli PZero System = 140

Avon Turbospeed CR228-D = 160

Yokohama A008/A008P = 160 (they still make these?)

Yokohama ADVAN A043/A046/A10B/AVS S1 = 160

Sumitomo HTR Z = 160

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R = 180

Yokohama AVS Sport = 180

Yokohama ADVAN Sport = 180

Pirelli eufori@ = 180

Falken AZENIS RT-615 = 200

Falken RT-215 = 200

Hankook Ventus Z212 = 200

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD = 200

I believe the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and the Nitto NT-01 are both rated at 100 as well.

The Sport Cup is 80 so it would be a +7 tire. The Nitto is 100 so it's a +5 tire.

I was looking for tires that were not catagorized as competition/track tires by the Tirerack but may still be considered as such by the TT regs. I'm trying to discover where the treadware upper limit is for +5 competition tires. Right now there is no definition in the rules.

The Sport Cup is 80 so it would be a +7 tire.

Yah, I went and check and corrected my error on the Michelins (you beat me to it though ).

funny I was wondering the same thing the other day.

Khumo MX - 180 treadwear rating?

220 from the list at Tirerack

if you could run it in the street tire classes for SCCA autocrosses, its probably a street tire here as well

SCCA Street Touring Solo classes require treadware 140 as its minimum.

That was my thought as well... but I don't make those decisions

140 is the cutoff for SCCA.. in addition, it seems most "sporty" cars these days come with 140TW tires. ex. 350Z stock Bridgestones are 140TW.

if you could run it in the street tire classes for SCCA autocrosses, its probably a street tire here as well

SCCA Street Touring Solo classes require treadware 140 as its minimum.

That was my thought as well... but I don't make those decisions

they also have an exclusion list to catch most of the Yokohama r-comps

140 is the cutoff for SCCA.. in addition, it seems most "sporty" cars these days come with 140TW tires. ex. 350Z stock Bridgestones are 140TW.

so if I make a car that come stock with V710s or Hoosiers can well call those street tires? They're DOT legal....

so if I make a car that come stock with V710s or Hoosiers can well call those street tires? They're DOT legal....

It's easier to penalize one or two cars that come with V710s (for example), than about 60 sporty cars that come with 140TW or higher. 140TW doesn't necessarily mean "good tire".. drive a 350Z on RE040s and you'll see what I mean, but that does seem to be the standard these days.

I can think of only one car (Elise) that comes with tires below 140TW. The base Elise (C car) already gets 7 points back due to size, so you won't see any sympathy coming from me.

Are you honestly going to penalize a 350Z running on stock OE Bridgestones? There needs to be a defined cutoff point for street tires (0 points) vs. race tires (5 points).

I was actually wondering about this the other day.

EVO, STi, 350Z, S2000, G35 and probably a ton more have 140TW tires from the factory.

The rules currently assess points for "R Compound" tires.. they don't make any mention of "Street Tires". Going by the literature either on Tire Rack or the manufacturer's website, it's pretty easy to define R Compound, or which is or isn't an R tire. Everything else that isn't (not including non DOT approved) would get zero points.. that's how I read it. It would be easier just to add on the back in the free mod section "140TW or higher get zero points" etc.

i guess those soft street tires make the manufacturer numbers look real good in the magazines

why throw any extra money at suspension development or weight distribution when you can just toss a stickier tire on it

You should know that I tend to find these type of questions by now.

Did you mean 200 and over would be generally considered a street tire OR treadware 201+? (all those guys with Falkens/HankookZ212/and BFGKD's would like to know)

Here's a number of interesting tires with treadware ratings between 100 and 200

Yokohama A022 = 120

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position = 140

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A = 140

Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A = 140

Bridgestone Potenza S-02 = 140

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 = 140

Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 = 140

Pirelli PZero System = 140

Avon Turbospeed CR228-D = 160

Yokohama A008/A008P = 160 (they still make these?)

Yokohama ADVAN A043/A046/A10B/AVS S1 = 160

Sumitomo HTR Z = 160

Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R = 180

Yokohama AVS Sport = 180

Yokohama ADVAN Sport = 180

Pirelli eufori@ = 180

Falken AZENIS RT-615 = 200

Falken RT-215 = 200

Hankook Ventus Z212 = 200

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD = 200

Awsome list and a great thread! 5xewiub.gif