HC rules discussion

KIWI

If you see any gross errors please feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] and we will take a look at what we overlooked. .

Congratulations guys, good job...

However... A couple of gross errors... I fail to see the reasoning in not allowing Adjustable cam gears? (I bet almost everyone has them on now!) and insisting on Stock Rods and Pistons for Hybrids??? This is false economy! You are allowing all the other stuff- Cams, Porting, compression, that are going to create HP and strain on the stock rods and pistons. Why not save everyone a huge amount of expense in the long run by freeing these two items also? Apart from that were happy.

Congratulations to everyone for a great effort.

Kiwi

Hmm, actually my main issue was with the CF fenders & bumper covers.

I'm with you on the cam gears, but I don't understand the problem with stock bottom ends. The entire season I never had a bottom end failure with either the 1.6 or the 1.8. The engine blow-up at CMP this september was from a broken valve.

In the World Challegne Prelude that we campaigned for 3 years the only time we had a bottom end let go was WITH aftermarket rods. The stock ones seemed to be able to take anything as long as you were meticulous enough on the engine build.

Like what's already been brought up, the only oversight that I see is not allowing cam gears on a hybrid. This would also instantly kill any fear of K motors being race worthy, as the stock cam gears have variable VTEC and must be ditched before using aftermarket cams.

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

If its allowed for H2 then i would like the rules applied to all classes. My battery is in the way of everyting.

HEHEH

I would give anything to be able to relocate the battery for H2. It is an extremely cheap modification, and I don't understand why it is not allowed.

• 5 months later...

The Hybrids of H1 are obviously the most prepared vehicles in HC. The cars from outside are stock looking but with the allowable removal items for the interior they are anything but stock in appearance. I know some drivers would love to be able to remove more to help them with weight. I probably won't have a problem getting my weight down under the current rules (as long as I myself loose a few lbs) but there are many vehicles that won't come close to the minimums. The allowance of different material for body panels will help in this regard however, this defeats the goal of keeping costs down. This brings me to my request which I hope other H1 folks will like and the board will seriously entertain.

The stock dash:

First we are already allowed to remove the heating and A/C stuff. The gauges are worthless to us. The dash gets hacked up to clear the roll cage tubing. But most importantly there are 2 major safety concerns. First when you try to position your butt as low in the car as possible to move your center of gavity down and to gain headroom your vision is somewhat restricted due to the dash board around/above the instrument cluster. Second, in the event of a fire, the dash will generate toxic smoke and will be dangerous to the driver and safety workers.

So, I would propose allowing the stock dashboard to be removed but it would have to be replaced with a sheet metal version that would be full width with a front face to aid in gauge installations.

On a side note, I believe an onboard fire system should be mandatory, since you'll never stay seated in the car to fight the fire around you. With a system one hand releases the belts and the other pulls the cable. We would never think about racing without belts or a helmet you guys should really start thinking about the consequences of sitting in the middle of a fire.

Then why not make FUEL CELL's mandatory too since the cars are so fast.

Its the money people have to dish out to buy fire systems and fuell cells.

Thats why its recommended.

The Hybrids of H1 are obviously the most prepared vehicles in HC. The cars from outside are stock looking but with the allowable removal items for the interior they are anything but stock in appearance. I know some drivers would love to be able to remove more to help them with weight. I probably won't have a problem getting my weight down under the current rules (as long as I myself loose a few lbs) but there are many vehicles that won't come close to the minimums. The allowance of different material for body panels will help in this regard however, this defeats the goal of keeping costs down. This brings me to my request which I hope other H1 folks will like and the board will seriously entertain.

The stock dash:

First we are already allowed to remove the heating and A/C stuff. The gauges are worthless to us. The dash gets hacked up to clear the roll cage tubing. But most importantly there are 2 major safety concerns. First when you try to position your butt as low in the car as possible to move your center of gavity down and to gain headroom your vision is somewhat restricted due to the dash board around/above the instrument cluster. Second, in the event of a fire, the dash will generate toxic smoke and will be dangerous to the driver and safety workers.

So, I would propose allowing the stock dashboard to be removed but it would have to be replaced with a sheet metal version that would be full width with a front face to aid in gauge installations.

On a side note, I believe an onboard fire system should be mandatory, since you'll never stay seated in the car to fight the fire around you. With a system one hand releases the belts and the other pulls the cable. We would never think about racing without belts or a helmet you guys should really start thinking about the consequences of sitting in the middle of a fire.

Then why not make FUEL CELL's mandatory too since the cars are so fast.

Its the money people have to dish out to buy fire systems and fuell cells.

Thats why its recommended.

You make a good point even though you don't agree with it. The one good thing about the stock gas tanks is where they are located, you couldn't have a safer place.

My car will have a cell and fire system though. I feel that the rules don't limit the amount of money one can "really" spend on these cars. The cylinder is completely open and more money can be thrown at a head than any other part of the engine. So what's more important, a cylinder head or keeping one's skin on your body?

Just like you have to learn to walk before you run, I believe you need to build a safe car before you start running 140+mph on a race track.