HPDE 1 Thoughts

STRINGER

Well...what can I say other then just an awesome weekend.

I drive a 91 N/A 1.6 miata(and still a street legal daily driver), and I think I was the lowest powered car in all of HPDE 1 this weekend. First session on Saturday was a blast for me cause I used it with the knowledge of the track via video's to be the passer. If you don't remember the car...the following pic is me

tdms1.png

Well, it didn't take long before the rest of the students learned the track and I was getting passed a lot. But...hey, I can say I passed a porche lol

But seriously....

This weekend I learned a lot. I also want to commend my fellow students on how well they progressed. They defiantly did a great job. I only had 2 times that concerned me a little. One was with a white vette that in my opinion got a little too close but i am sure that was just a judgment in braking. The other concern was a spec miata racer that was within a foot or two from me through 3 or 4 turns. It may have been a situation where I look like other spec racers on the outside. I will say I did get a thrill from it, having someone right in my mirror that knew what he was doing. I will say also that I gave a proper hand signal letting him know I knew he was there and he backed of a bit until I was allowed to let him pass. Of course when he passed...he just left me lol. The only thing in this situation is maybe someone may panic in this situation and damage both cars because of it.

But all in all it did not bother me since I have learned to not let the actions of the driver behind me bother me and just drove my line.

But it was a great pleasure to run with all of you this weekend and hats off to all of NASA-MA for a blast of a weekend. Although I was kinda bummed out that we did not have a red flag drill cause I was curious as to what I would do on certain parts of the track since there was such an elevation factor

I also had a great time this weekend. I think I got progressively faster with every session. I think my worst session was the second one on Sunday because I kept expecting the red flag drill!

I had a great time also and learned I have a lot to learn. Just wish I could buy some skill -- otherwise could take another 1,000 hrs of track time for me to get the hang of it.

NASA runs a first class event. Dan was great in the class room. I accidentally sat in on the end of a HPDE 3 session, it gets better.

My in-car instructor was a really brave guy, it's gotta be hard sitting in the passenger seat with a newbee especially the first time they mow the grass. He kept his cool and ust kept encouraging me along a step at a time. He took me for a ride in his maxed out 350Z during a HPDE 4 session, that was a thrill worth the price of admission (thanks again to Brett!) I'll be grinning for a week.

The "red flag drill" worked for me opening my vision and seeing much more of the track. I expected them to sneak it in during te last session so it worked there yet again.

Doing touring laps before lunch Sunday helped a lot also. I did 45 min of no braking laps at low speed which gave my old brain more time time to process the track. This should be considered the first timers schedules, or maybe as an early lead follow session.

I really liked your MX5 Stringer (I was the guy who stopped by and talked to your Mom and later you said hello). Hope you didn't pick up too much paint damage at the track. North course would be tough in a Miata with that hill climb at the cut-through. That was about the only place I could close on the Spec Miata and I have about 230 HP at the wheels. The stripes made me think you were a beginning Miata Spec racer so your assumption on the Vette may be correct.

I'm not sure what the issue stopping on a hill was about (at least for a street car). Just stop it, put it in 1st, shut it off and take your foot off the brake so you don't imprint the pads on the rotor, or worse, warp the rotor.

The group with the Porches, Ferarri?, Vett and Spec Miata got really fast in the afternoon. I had trouble figuring out how many point byes to give to let that fast train by.

I was the Grandpa in the silver 4dr automatic Infiniti sedan, hope I didn't hold ya'll up too much. My autostick wigged out and wouldn't let me downshift once my speeds went up (I never got slow enough for it to downshift on command). So I ended up running in 3rd gear the entire course.

How did you guys tires and brakes hold up?

Plan to return in the future with a '06 MX5 if I can find someone who knows how to put a proper roll bar in a NC.

why was a spec miata racer out with you in an HPDE 1 session, and why was he getting so close to you? Never be afraid to mention things that don't seem right to you to the officials at the event - they can deal with it right away and possibly avoid a serious incident as you point out (with a more nervous driver). Sounds like you handled it well.

cheers,

bruce

... The other concern was a spec miata racer that was within a foot or two from me through 3 or 4 turns. It may have been a situation where I look like other spec racers on the outside. I will say I did get a thrill from it, having someone right in my mirror that knew what he was doing. I will say also that I gave a proper hand signal letting him know I knew he was there and he backed of a bit until I was allowed to let him pass. Of course when he passed...he just left me lol. The only thing in this situation is maybe someone may panic in this situation and damage both cars because of it.

But all in all it did not bother me since I have learned to not let the actions of the driver behind me bother me and just drove my line.

I was in the gray 06 Civic Si. I also got to ride in my instructor's car (the black Integra Type R with the painters tape front end!) and it was an eye opener, I have a lot to learn.

Try not to sweat it when other drivers are riding your bumper. There are some instructors that will push their students to do that in order to maximize the chance of getting a passing signal as early as possible. It's likely that student was just following instruction.

That said, following on a guy's bumper going into braking zones and through turns is a bad idea. In a braking zone, it's kind of obvious why it's bad. But in turns, the lead car can check up mid turn and you have nowhere to go. It's better to leave some space and get a run on them coming out of the turns.

I didn't get the sense from the original post that the tailgating spec miata was a student-with-instructor car (otherwise, why would stringer assume he knew what he was doing?). An instructor or other solo driver out with the HPDE 1 cars shouldn't be driving like that ...

bruce

Try not to sweat it when other drivers are riding your bumper. There are some instructors that will push their students to do that in order to maximize the chance of getting a passing signal as early as possible. It's likely that student was just following instruction.

That said, following on a guy's bumper going into braking zones and through turns is a bad idea. In a braking zone, it's kind of obvious why it's bad. But in turns, the lead car can check up mid turn and you have nowhere to go. It's better to leave some space and get a run on them coming out of the turns.

The group with the Porches, Ferarri?, Vett and Spec Miata got really fast in the afternoon. I had trouble figuring out how many point byes to give to let that fast train by.

I know what you mean on point by's. I was pointing as many by as possible until it was clear behind me and then tried my best to chase them. When I have someone to chase I compress my braking zones a lot more like my instructor wants me to do. You didnt hold me up. It was kinda nice catching someone and passing them. Does not happen much.

If you mean the silver and the red cars that were out there...they were Nobles. They all were averaging 153 in the straights I hear. Fantastic car.

I was another first timer out on the track. It was great getting to meet quite a few of the drivers during the classrooms and while in paddock. I felt pretty uncomfortable first time out on Saturday but by the last session on Sunday I was ready to put my learning to the test. I really had a great time and felt that everybody in HPDE 1 overall did a great job in being respectful throughout the weekend and never did I feel worried about harm to myself or the car. I did have a few incidents of Porsches spinning or almost spinning in front of me but nothing a little pucker moment didn't fix. I had a great run going with a black Porsche that gave me a great idea of what pace I was moving around the track and increasing exit speeds.

Stringer, I remember your car and you did a great job of giving very solid point-bys (I really appreciated it). You were really running great out there. I agree there were some cases of some close chasers but I admit I caught myself doing it to some other cars when I realized my mistake and backed off accordingly (sorry if you were one of them, I specifically remember a miata).

I can't wait to get out there again and start stretching the limits of the car now that some of the basics are covered. Hope to see you guys out there again sometime.

By the way this was me: '05 Aspen STi

178656757-1copy.jpg

Stringer, I remember your car and you did a great job of giving very solid point-bys (I really appreciated it). You were really running great out there. I agree there were some cases of some close chasers but I admit I caught myself doing it to some other cars when I realized my mistake and backed off accordingly (sorry if you were one of them, I specifically remember a miata).

Now the question is since there were several miata's on the track...what color? LOL, just checking your observance on the track. This was my second weekend and thats one thing I am trying to force myself to do. Observe whats around me.

But back to reality...you never crowded me. I knew the basic capability of each car in our group and I rememeber each time they came up on me. One of the things I tried to practice was late point by's based on the power the vehicle had behind me. Someone like you I would actualy brake a lot sooner on the later parts in the straights to get you and other high powered cars by out of respect of the power of the car. Then I would go into chase mode. That was the best for me. Trying to chase someone. Watching what they were doing and trying it. Some things worked..some things didn't. I learned that if you were not using all of the track then you were not running the turn fast enough. I picked up a lot of time working on this. Turn 4 was my challenge turn...but I got the right line into it down to turn into 5 the way my instructor wanted me to. I have been scored highly always on having very smooth wheel control. But this weekend surprised me when my instructor told me to be more agressive in certain turns. It was a great feeling.

I can't wait to get out there again and start stretching the limits of the car now that some of the basics are covered. Hope to see you guys out there again sometime.

I hope that maybe some of you will be at Roebling Road at the end of September. Thats my next event. I am signed up for HPDE2. I cant wait!!! Have some things to do to the car to get ready though. I caught a rock from someone and have to replace the windshield. WAR wounds from the great arena. Just another story lol.

I know several instructors and they have always been a HUGE help everywhere I have gone. For example...we had in car video from our lotus team mate and reviewed it saturday night with an instructor friend. He pointed out a lot of things about the track and the line that helped all of us. I want to work my way up to be an instructor one day to be able to give back what I have learned.

Turn 4 was definitely tricky for me as well. It took me a few sessions to get the confidence to brake late enough into the turn and discover the amount of grip that was available through the turn. Another turn that was tough for me and I only think I hit it right a few times was down 16 and through 17 to the straight. I could really feel the difference in being able to put the power down much earlier with a correct line but consistency was not quite there yet, something I need to work on in later events. As with you I have a few things I want to do to prepare the car better for the next event which I think will be the August TrackDaze event for me, perhaps the NASA Summit event in October... not sure yet. Good luck to you.

ah...16...for some reason i didnt have a problem with that and 17. But I will say my tires didnt like it as they were yelling at me the whole way through there. That was a great combination corner to gain a lot af straight away speed. If you hit 16 right it gives you a brake point and a setup to power through 17 and 17a. I was full throttle through both. But i do have a 1.6 N/A miata. I would love to pucker up with something that has a bit more power though that turn.

The guy in the white "Spec Miata" has 5 or 6 weekends under his belt and honestly, I can speak for him and say that he was not intentionally trying to intimidate anybody...like JIMGOOD said, he was getting a run on the driver coming out of the turn.

The only reason that the car is listed as a spec miata is because the car has a full cage and he doesn't want NASA-MA to assign an instructor that will not fit in the insanely small passenger side seat.

Anyways, I had a great time this weekend. I was told that I'm ready to sign up for HPDE2 and I was allowed to go solo the last session (in which I went a little to hot into Turn 1 and ended up driving off track)

I was in the blue 2000 Civic Si #71.

I think everybody did great this weekend managing traffic.

I was another first timer out on the track. It was great getting to meet quite a few of the drivers during the classrooms and while in paddock. I felt pretty uncomfortable first time out on Saturday but by the last session on Sunday I was ready to put my learning to the test. I really had a great time and felt that everybody in HPDE 1 overall did a great job in being respectful throughout the weekend and never did I feel worried about harm to myself or the car. I did have a few incidents of Porsches spinning or almost spinning in front of me but nothing a little pucker moment didn't fix. I had a great run going with a black Porsche that gave me a great idea of what pace I was moving around the track and increasing exit speeds.

By the way this was me: '05 Aspen STi

178656757-1copy.jpg

What all have you done to it?

What all have you done to it?

Very minor modifications to the car, very grassroots here.. have to pay tuition somehow.

Goodridge SS lines, Motul 600 RBF, Ferodo DS2500s (will be upgraded for next event), RCE Yellow Springs, PDE Front camber plates, Group-N rear mounts, and Sway Bars. Stock power/drivetrain and injured pocketbook from all the events I'm signing up for as I'm in need of driver mods.

All in all I felt the car held up well and performed well. More track dedicated parts will be a necessity as limits are tested.

Were you at this event? There were quite a few Subies out there but I was the only one in HPDE 1 that I know of.

Sounds like a pretty nice set up to me. I'm down in the east area but I'm thinking about hitting up a event @ summit point next month.

Sounds like a pretty nice set up to me. I'm down in the east area but I'm thinking about hitting up a event @ summit point next month.

You definitely should. I know that the August 25-26 event is full for NASA but there are several events in October including the NASA one at Summit Point on the 13-14th which I hope to attend. Perhaps I'll see you out there. Its a blast.

[i know that the August 25-26 event is full for NASA

I just registered last night and friends registered this morning. Give it a try, I am sure there is space available.

Hope to see you out there

Interesting, says its full except for a wait list... but even wait list means you normally can get a spot. Unfortunately I had previous plans for this weekend so I couldn't make it anyways.

August Registration: http://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/show/?event_id=589

and now October Registration: https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/show/?event_id=598

I am impressed with all of the people that ran at VIR in HPDE 1. I was there in April, and passing then was a luxury, when it seemed none wanted to give a signal. The group in July may be one of the best HPDE 1's groups evah. I hope to see you all again, though I will not be making it to Summit Point.

One lap from my in car video

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=914652

I am impressed with all of the people that ran at VIR in HPDE 1. I was there in April, and passing then was a luxury, when it seemed none wanted to give a signal. The group in July may be one of the best HPDE 1's groups evah. I hope to see you all again, though I will not be making it to Summit Point.

One lap from my in car video

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=914652

Was nice meeting you at the track Paul. Had a few good laughs about a nice save of yours . I won't be making the August Summit event but I am now signed up for the October event. Hope to see you out there again sometime. Thanks for the video.

I know several instructors and they have always been a HUGE help everywhere I have gone. For example...we had in car video from our lotus team mate and reviewed it saturday night with an instructor friend. He pointed out a lot of things about the track and the line that helped all of us. I want to work my way up to be an instructor one day to be able to give back what I have learned.

Thanks for the props - I would have stayed a little longer, but I was exhausted. Hit me up for a ride next time, and I can talk you through the laps at speed (although being able to pause, rewind, and point at the screen helped). As you saw, bringing your vision up and out really allows you to use more landmarks for braking, turn-in, and track out. You will find yourself using more and more of the track as you progress, and recognizing that all of your markers have to be adjusted with speed, temperature, tire temp, passing, etc.

I have seen you drive. I will ride with you any day any time. You take the car safely to its limits. Although the ride with your dad at VIR full course was a blast and was all I needed to see that this is what I wanted to do.

Your knowledge with the help of video was a great and most appreciated help to all of us. With that help and the help of what I learned from different instructors helped me achieve my target goal of a 2:09 at VIR North. After my first times I told my mom I would hit that time by the end of the weekend. In after thoughts though. I know I could do a lot better. It just takes seat time. And most importantly...this is not a race or a timed event. But its amazing how much faster you can be when you take a turn the right way.

Ken has been a great instructor for me, I hope I have him at savannah also. He knows my weak points and my strong points. I would like to have him again as we can start right off working on my weak points. He knows as well as I do that hard short braking is my weakest point. I drove big trucks for years and its hard to tell my mind not to brake. I will be working on that the most.