Thunderhill Roll Call!

DaveWright

You all crack me up. This was very entertaining to read! I haven't seen so much action on these forums ever. I like it. Shows that more people are interested and care about the series again. Maybe we will get more cars out there with us.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrie

• slammed_93_hatch

• DaveWright

• Redstone

J-Mer, I haven't run that motor yet because I would like to have a ported head for that set up. Besides, the stock b18 is doing okay for now. Maybe next year when I have money again. It may appear at nationals again next year.

p.s. If you get Andries car then I got dibs on your's. New motor included!

Poke holes in each other's bumper?!?

It has been quite entertaining to read all these post. The only conclusion that I can draw from our migration to H1 so far is that H1 does favor the the B-series that can get down to the 2250lbs min weight.

And if anyone knows how to shed 250lbs on a DC chassis, let me know.

it is easy to see why EF + B16A would appear to the best H1 combo to have. and actually the cheapest... to build... but the chassis is just out of production for so long that for sponsorship/marketing purposes it doesn't make as much sense. ahh it's never the perfect world.

it is easy to see why EF + B16A would appear to the best H1 combo to have. and actually the cheapest... to build... but the chassis is just out of production for so long that for sponsorship/marketing purposes it doesn't make as much sense. ahh it's never the perfect world.

Donnie, you're out of you element...

• 2 weeks later...

Donnie, you're out of you element...

are you disputing the car that EF can make the b16a 2150 lbs weight while it is darn impossible for EG/EK to do so? are you also disputing the fact that lighter is better?

Frank,

Mike is alluding to the fact that you jump into the discussion without knowing all the facts, but make assumptions.

Autosport car that was driven by Dave Brown is an EG. It didn't have trouble getting down to minimum weight.

Autosport told me at Infineon when the car was wrecked in the rain that it was acid dipped. Damn, I wish I did that. Almost a must with an EG to get down to weight and make it possible to put weight back into the car where you want it. Hind sight is 20/20.

IMO dipping isn't the best.

If you want to get serious bust out the wire wheel and go at it under the car. You will have to prep and paint it really good though.

It does take A LOT of time, i have done it, but well worth it. I actually might end up doing it in search of getting weight out of my car.

Yeah I have been avoiding it for a while but Graham and I are going to most likely do it to all 3 Redstone cars. Can't wait to get wire wheel shards in my arm. Let me know how much weight you get out of your car.

There are shops out there that will sand blast the chassis real cheap, but it is best to do it during early build up before paint. It is a pain to do it when your car is complete. We have done that to a couple of drag chassis, it is worthwhile especially for a porker beast like our DC2!

Wirewheel shards!!! The things we do to be light!

San blasting is reasonable, cost wise. Getting the sand out is another story. We had one car that still have sands coming out of the race car mid season!
And you probably can find more of it in the car. That stuff is hard to get rid of. Looks like it's going to be a long day with the wire brush.

San blasting is reasonable, cost wise. Getting the sand out is another story. We had one car that still have sands coming out of the race car mid season!

Do they still allow in CA?

I remember on one of those hot rod shows that they were using almond shells or something like that because it was more better for the environment.

You guys in H1 should have an easy time getting down to minimum weight. You can use carbon, and lexan.

Us lonely H4 cars aren't allowed any of that stuff.

Tommy on your 4 door have you guys considered pulling the door skins off and really gutting the rear doors?

Tommy on your 4 door have you guys considered pulling the door skins off and really gutting the rear doors?

We thought about gutting the door on the 4-dr, and it would save about 10 pounds. If we put in lexan for the rear window and rear side doors, it would save another 10. We listed the things we can do to reduce weight, but we only got down to the high 2300's.

I think the problem for us is that the chassis is just too much beef. The DC is great for K-motor weight, but not B. We are seriously considering a EG chassis with a torquey B20 motor for next year. But with all the talk about 300hp at the wheel with the K24, I am not sure what we want to do next year.

But with all the talk about 300hp at the wheel with the K24, I am not sure what we want to do next year.

Who in God's green earth has a 300 hp K24????

If you're referring to Bernardo's SC'd 4 door...well then I guess I know who you're talking about, but it's not HC legal w/ the Jackson

See the thread on honda-tech. 280 WHP normally aspirated K-24.

But with all the talk about 300hp at the wheel with the K24, I am not sure what we want to do next year.

Who in God's green earth has a 300 hp K24????

If you're referring to Bernardo's SC'd 4 door...well then I guess I know who you're talking about, but it's not HC legal w/ the Jackson

I spoke with a rules commitee member yesterday and this person said that the manner in which they got the s2000 piston in the K24 is NOT legal. We did not go into details about why, but the currently the interpretation is that it is NOT legal.

Bummer for bernardo, but I think it is the right choice. I believe that a rules clearification is in order to prevent future misinterpretations.

I couldn't help buy look at the math to see how the K24 with S2k piston (K2K)rank against what's the "typical" H1 setups look up:

Motor Weight HP wt/hp

B16 2150 190 11.32

B18,B20 2250 210 10.71

K20, H 2400 230 10.43

K24 2450 240 10.21

K2K 2450 280 8.75

S2000 2700 240 11.25

The rules work quite work with the top four setup with this simple check. Glad to hear the K2K is not legal, because I was ready to order my BTCC K motor