radiator

Chuck T.

Yup, I bought an aftermarket but original size new one and my car runs uber cool now that I moved that oil cooler out from in front of it.

Sorry to hear about your issues at the track too.

• Members

Several of us were having temp issues this last weekend at ECR...running bumper to bumper results in not so much air. I have no idea how old my radiator is, but I did try to clean it as best I could using compressed air from the back side prior to this weekend. I have the stock oil/water exchanger plus an external oil cooler.

So, when you guys say a new, stock radiator is fine, are we including running nose to tail lap after lap?

The hottest my car got running nose to tail at ECR with Kevin before my off was the midpoint on the stock temp guage. When I'm in clean air it's closer to the 1/4 tick mark.

When I took out the old radiator, there was a TON of deposits and junk in the water channels, so I'm sure a new radiator, stock or turbo will show a marked improvment on temperature.

Running bumper to bumper not only denies your radiator of normal ambient cooling air- you're also getting the pre-heated air from the car in front of you, unless his exhaust pipe is pointing right at your radiator. Then, you're getting a 6 billion degree blast furnace right into your rad.

• Members

Nobody overheated, just had temps too hot for comfort. I cant run multiple laps tucked under someone...and I need to! lol So the question remains open, does the stock rad work well enough for that duty or does it just work well enough if you're following a couple of car lengths back.

It would seem that you have answered that question, Al.

The turbo radiator is only about 1 inch taller than the stock NA radiator. It will give some additional cooling because of the larger surface area, but will it give enough as the increase is a small percentage.

Big Dog

Al, down there, I'd go with a turbo radiator, but even more importantly, make sure all of the factory ducting to the radiator is intact. There is a piece that seals the front spoiler to the bottom of the radiator, and some curved pieces that direct air up into the top of the radiator behind the bumper. These often get lost or broken in rae car builds, but are really critical to proper cooling.

Al,

Eric is right. All the air guiding pieces have to be there. I would include the belly pan!

The early 944's have a spoiler that includes a bottom shelf that goes all the way to the base of the radiator bottom mounts. The later 944's have a short spoiler shelf and an extra piece that fills the gap between the spoiler and the bottom of the rad.

The turbo radiator is BOTH taller and thicker.

Have you made contact with Marc Sexton? Customer of mine who just moved back to Dallas. We're standing by to ship him his 944 Spec car.

• 11 months later...

For the late cars the lower radiator shelf can be unbolted and changed out for the 951 version and the rad drops right in. For my 83 I added 1" to the bottom of the radiator surround, changed the hose and used zip ties to attach the stock fan housing ( now too short) to the bottom of the 951 rad. Worked perfect. What I found when running the stock rad was that if I drafted someone for more than a couple of laps the temp gauge would go just short of the 3/4 mark and suddenly I couldn't stay in the draft anymore. I went to the dyno and verified that the ECU must take timing out or add fuel when the water temps get high as there was a significant drop off of power. Greg F.