When do I need a log book and where do I get one?

RacinDave

I drive a 1995 NA, stock, and I do mean stock, from top to bottom, Miata. I find it very interesting to see how I and a completely stock Miata can get around a racetrack. I have done one HPDE last year at Mid Ohio and I am getting ready to do my second on Friday. Eventually I want to do TT but I am doing HPDE til' I have enough skill, finances, etc. to do TT.

Should I get a log book? If so, we talkin' just a spiral notebook or should I do something more formal? What does everyone else do?

PS. Looking at July pics at Mid Ohio it seem there were some race prepped cars running HPDE1/2. Folks, expect to get a lot of wave bys from me if you are running a race car. I can't imagine a person driving a race car would need to be in HPDE1 but heck, it's fun to hear 'em whiz by.

Thanks,

• National Staff

Dave,

Just because someone is driving a racecar doesn't mean that they are not just as new as you. Many new participants come out and realize very early that they love the sport, and then decide to purchase a dedicated track (race) car. The benefits include getting all of the safety equipment that a racecar has, getting a car that has already been modified for road course use, and having a car that if it breaks, you still have a street car to drive to work on Monday morning.

Anyway, as for the log book, you cannot get one for TT until you have a TT Competition License. Now, you should be keeping a log of the events you do, any special setup specs that you are trying (like tire pressures) at different events, and when you do maintanence on the car. The TT (and race) log books are really more for NASA to keep track of the safety items, and track readiness of the vehicle.

Mid-Atlantic region, at least, issues "HPDE Passport" logbooks to all HPDE1/2 drivers so their instructors' comments can be noted for future reference. Your region may be different but that's what we do here and people seem to love it. I have been to other events and seen students whip out their NASA HPDE Passport to have their non-NASA instructor fill it out as part of their permanent track record. This is also very helpful when applying for anything further (TT license, instructor school, comp school) because you can use it to list exactly where/when you ran - tracks, groups, instructors, signoffs, etc.

A separate logbook - small spiral notebook works great - for car related details never hurts either. Date, track, temperature, conditions, tire pressures, and notes about how the car felt or did... for starters.

Jon

Great ideas, thanks getfast! I think an informal book is a great idea to ... 'get faster' and have more fun. This HPDE stuff could get dangerously addictive.

This HPDE stuff could get dangerously addictive.

I hate to tell you this, but it's already too late for you. To quote a wise man: "By comparison, heroin addiction is like a vague desire for something salty." You have contracted a progressive disease for which there is no cure. It will require lifelong treatment, but you will likely never be able to lead a "normal" life again.

I have run Mid Atlantic (my home) and Southeast...both issue a passport log for HPDE. My first event was a Southeast event and I am a Mid Atlantic driver. My first event is in a southeast passport...so thats the one I keep. I use the same passport everywhere I go. That way everything is in the same book.

Hope that helps