Paddock Vehicle Clarification

John Graber

Please clarify exactly what is allowed within the grass and paved paddock and if there is a cost for a vehicle pass. As you know we had some issues at the last event concerning this.

Bicycles

Scooters

ATV's

Golf Carts

Thanks, John

Good point John - I agree. We need clarification on what is allowed. As an official and a racer, my ATV which has always been my pit vehicle, as well as my way to get from racing to working quickly, was all of a sudden not allowed because it wasn't a "plated" vehicle. No ATV has plates in Ohio!! In the past, Mid-Ohio's rules were no unlicensed vehicles outside of the paddock. I was behind garage #7 when I was told I had to park my ATV - and it had a vehicle pass attached to the handlebars.

They want you to rent their golfcars.

Which we did last year.

They also didn't say anything about our 125cc 4 stroke dirtbike.

jb

Can you get my Mom and Bev around on that?

I'm taking the moped also.

Looking for an extra pass as I'll get a golfcar for them.

jb

My ATV had more miles on it last year than my race car did. It was invaluable as it pulled the car up the hill twice after having mechanical problems on the dyno. Pushing it was out of the question. I hope ATV's are allowed as they really help at times.

From the Mid Ohio website:

"Personal golf carts (those not rented from Golf Car & Equipment) require a $100 vehicle pass, purchased separate for each event, that must be displayed at all times.

All golf carts must be operated by a licensed driver. No golf carts can be driven on spectator mounds.

No spectator bicycles permitted anywhere on Mid-Ohio property.

No spectator personal "off road" vehicles, dirt bikes, ATVs, mopeds, minibikes, scooters, etc., are permitted on Mid-Ohio property."

We are/were not spectators. Not sure what set of rules they are trying to enforce.

Yeah, I went and double checked those rules after I was told to park the ATV. I don't know what the guy was thinking either.

FYI, I spoke to MO's corporate office today. I was told that the $100 Golf cart fee is only for non-racers at a spectator event. There will be a $25 fee for NASA racers at the Nationals. There is no fee at our regular events as they are considered non-spectator events. A golf cart is allowed anywhere at the track.

ATV's will only be allowed in the paved paddock. I'm not sure they realize that the paddock at Nationals stretches into the grass.

Full sized road legal scooters are allowed anywhere.

If you have further questions I suggest that you call MO's coporate office at 1-800-589-8833. Mary was very helpful.

You didn't happen to find out about bicycles did you? In the event regs it says they are not allowed but I just can't figure out why? As an official, I'll need to get around to lots of places. I guess I should just use my tahoe? doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thanks

Jason

From the Mid Ohio website:

"No spectator bicycles permitted anywhere on Mid-Ohio property."

We are/were not spectators.

You didn't happen to find out about bicycles did you?

As an official, I'll need to get around to lots of places. I guess I should just use my tahoe? doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thanks

Jason

I think your credential takes you out of spectator space and into official space.

That would be my guess.

You didn't happen to find out about bicycles did you? In the event regs it says they are not allowed but I just can't figure out why? As an official, I'll need to get around to lots of places. I guess I should just use my tahoe? doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thanks

Jason

Jason, thanks for asking, as that was the main reason I called MO. Unfortunately bicycles are absolutely not allowed. Apparently some bicyclists were a problem to some race cars at last years Championships.

Thanks

Jason

Jason, thanks for asking, as that was the main reason I called MO. Unfortunately bicycles are absolutely not allowed. Apparently some bicyclists were a problem to some race cars at last years Championships.

Tahoe it is then... Yay! Save the planet!

Thanks

Jason

Bicycles have not been allowed at MO for a long time. There were problems several years ago with people not paying attention, running into things, and running over people walking. It wasn't our championships last year that caused this. It has been a rule for years.

As an official and a racer, my ATV which has always been my pit vehicle, as well as my way to get from racing to working quickly, was all of a sudden not allowed because it wasn't a "plated" vehicle. No ATV has plates in Ohio!!

What about what is on the ohio bmv website here:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/misc/apv.htm

Ed

Ed - that's info on an APV, not an ATV. All Purpose Vehicles must be registered. A strictly off-road ATV does not.

But good looking out!!

This is from the ohio revised code. The definition even includes "vehicles commonly known as all terrain vehicles:

375.01 DEFINITIONS.

As used in this chapter:

(a) "Snowmobile" means any self-propelled vehicle designed primarily for use on

snow or ice, and steered by skis, runners or caterpillar treads. (ORC 4519.01(A))

(b) "All purpose vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle designed primarily for

cross-country travel on land and water, or on more than one type of terrain, and

steered by wheels or caterpillar treads, or any combination thereof, including

vehicles that operate on a cushion of air, vehicles commonly known as all-terrain

vehicles, all season vehicles, mini-bikes and trail bikes. All-purpose vehicle

does not include a utility vehicle as defined in Ohio R.C. 4501.01 or any vehicle

principally used in playing golf, any motor vehicle or aircraft required to be

registered under Ohio R.C. Chapter 4503 or Chapter 4561, and any vehicle

excepted from definition as a motor vehicle by Section 301.20 of this Traffic

Code. (ORC 4519.01(B))

Watch your inbox for a complete run down of parking passes, equipment passes, golf cart passes, security regs, and so on.

I'll get out a mass email by Monday sometime.

Thanks for your patience as things are changing almost daily!

In the Supps ...

http://www.nasaproracing.com/nc/supps.pdf

16. Pit Lane and Paddock Specific Rules

1) Two wheeled vehicles are prohibited from entering the pit lane. This includes bicycles, scooter, pit bikes, etc. They may be parked in the grassy area inside the center pit lane entrance.

2) Bicycles are not allowed outside the paddock area.

Can we get an official word on this?

Some of us are going to have to park pretty far out in the boonies and it simply isn't realistic to have to walk the entire way from paddock down to grid. We have support vehicles for towing cars and moving equipment that are allowed on every track in the Midwest that are essential to our effort.

I understand limiting what spectators are on, however pit-support vehicles are an common and necessary part of a race-program and as such need to be accomodated. I doubt that the pro-car teams, etc.. are banned from using ATV's, in fact I KNOW they are not...

So to aleviate the concerns of the competitors I'd love to get an official word from NASA on this.

Bryan Cohn has already stated that he will be posting information regarding this issue by Monday or Tuesday of next week. As I see it, pit support vehicles should not be a problem and never have been in the past.