HPDE & Seat Belts...

BretD 88GTA

Newbie considering joining NASA and checking out an HDPE event in So Cal. I want to make sure my car is set up properly.

Specifically, I want to make sure my seats and harnesses are acceptable. Car is a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am T-top with Sparco Torino reclining racing seats. Factory belts are still in place, but I also have a Schroth 4 point harness installed on the driver's side. No roll bar of any kind in the car.

Will this set-up pass tech?

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Newbie considering joining NASA and checking out an HDPE event in So Cal. I want to make sure my car is set up properly.

Specifically, I want to make sure my seats and harnesses are acceptable. Car is a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am T-top with Sparco Torino reclining racing seats. Factory belts are still in place, but I also have a Schroth 4 point harness installed on the driver's side. No roll bar of any kind in the car.

Will this set-up pass tech?

Thanks.

I drove my Accord with factory seats and belts. I was moving all around the cabin, but passed tech. They don't require racing seats/belts. Just make sure your seatbelts are in good condition.

Are you going to Willow Springs in July?

I drove my Accord with factory seats and belts. I was moving all around the cabin, but passed tech. They don't require racing seats/belts. Just make sure your seatbelts are in good condition.

Are you going to Willow Springs in July?

The factory belts can be sloppy since the shoulder restraint doesn't do much until you're actually involved in an incident.

The Schroth belts are far superior to the factory belts and do have an anti-submarine feature. The model I'm using is mainly designed for Autocross, but I figure for an HPDE event they should work very well. Especially when combined with the Sparco seat. I shouldn't be moving around in the seat at all.

The Schroth belts are also street legal and DOT approved. If the factory belts are acceptable for HPDE, then my Schroth belts should be fine. My only was concern was that the NASA rules say that harneses should have an anti-sub belt. I'm hoping my Schroth belts will fall into the "grey" area.

As for the July event, I'm undecided. I recently upgraded the front brakes on the car and am not happy with the brake balance. The fronts grab a tad too hard now so I may install a Wilwood adjustble prop. valve to help balance the brake bias. This is something I may want to do before taking the car out on the track.

I'm going to try to make the June AI event and help crew for a friend who will be racing.