HPDE Car Number question

pdogkilr

I have registered for the June HPDE at Road Atlanta. Is there a size specification for car numbers. Thought I might go to Edecals.com and order a couple, instead of taping the car.

Thanks,

Jerry

I use painter's tape. $3/roll @ Home Despot. Just make sure the door is clean, and put it on, its low-tack and comes right off at the end of the weekend.

Save money and get magnetic material. It looks a lot better and is cheap. Different sources: Walmart, Michaels, Home Depot. WM has it with the printer paper, Michaels ask for magnetic sheets, Home Depot or Lowes have the best, they are called air duct covers and are very thick and paintable! Good luck. Post a pic when finish.

Save money and get magnetic material. It looks a lot better and is cheap. Different sources: Walmart, Michaels, Home Depot. WM has it with the printer paper, Michaels ask for magnetic sheets, Home Depot or Lowes have the best, they are called air duct covers and are very thick and paintable! Good luck. Post a pic when finish.

Magnetics are great....IF you don't have an aluminum car.

We (Northeast Region) do not allow shoe polish for HPDE. We discourage it for autocross. Magnetics are fine AS LONG AS you can keep them attached. Painters tapes seems a great comproomise.

NASA-VA also strictly forbids shoe polish, 10" numbers required. I got thin magnetic sheet from Michaels, good pull. The thinner stuff is more flexible and less likely for the air to catch the leading edge. I put a couple tiny pieces of used duct tape on the leading edge anyway. Keeping the number towards the back of the door seems to reduce the likelyhood of it flying off, more of a non-turbulent boundary layer (I think ).

Rather than cutting out numbers (the only one of those we've ever lost was too far forward on the hood), a friend made numbers with a word processor and printed them on adhesive-backed paper (?) from the office supply store. Then the paper is attached to a large square of magnetic material. I think he put clear adhesive-backed plastic sheet over it for water resistance. He makes our monthly club event dash plaques pretty much the same way.

Corvettes will want static sling numbers, of course.

• Members

I have made #'s out of many things over the years, but the best I have found is colored Duct tape. You can wipe off any residue with rubbing alcohol. You'll find that it works best when your car is completely clean.

Shoe polish is a definite no-no, we need larger #'s to allow the corner workers to spot your vehicle at speed, and the faster your car is the larger they need to be...

ps. I remember an event at VIR-South a few years ago where everyone had static cling #'s and each pass down the straightaway someone would lose their #'s !

ps. I remember an event at VIR-South a few years ago where everyone had static cling #'s and each pass down the straightaway someone would lose their #'s !

I could not find anything particularly to HPDE, BUT in Time Trials I found this.

8.1 Numbers and Class Designation

All NASA TT cars must display a three-digit number on both sides of the car. Numbers must be of a contrasting color to the car or otherwise clearly visible, 10-inches high with a 1.5-inch stroke. NASA TT cars must also display a class designation on both sides of the car in a four-inch height in contrasting color to the car. Class Designations shall be TT followed by the group number. For example, an A Group competitor would display “TTA” as a class designation.

I would recommend following this guideline (you don't have to put a class on your car tho).. it will make it so the corner workers can identify you. It would really suck to get black flagged because they cannot read your #.

If you plan on doing a few HPDE's I would have some numbers made. I had an oval made and put my number on the oval. before I go on track I put a small piece of tape on the leading edge of the oval to prevent it from coming off at high speeds. [/b]

Hey Mike,

what's that thing I see in your pic near the front edge of your door with the wire or tether attached to it? It don't think it's a Walmart blue light special signal is it?

nick 95 6sp - that's my Cone Cam stuck on the side of the door.

CaptainWho - yea, sometimes it gets clean, like driving thru the rain to get to the track, usually.

We (Northeast Region) do not allow shoe polish for HPDE. We discourage it for autocross. Magnetics are fine AS LONG AS you can keep them attached. Painters tapes seems a great comproomise.

It seems like different regions have different rules. Is there an authoritative resource for Northeast and Virginia rules on this and other issues?

The rules are posted on the VA site, as are the tech forms. Might be the same for NE. If you got here, I know you can find the regional sites.

• 3 years later...

I've been looking, not sure if its elsewhere but; do you get assigned a number as a NASA member? I was wondering because I liked the idea of getting decals made for my car, or the magnetic number route.

Andreas Barbiero

2005 CTS-V

New Jersey

no number assigned beyond your membership number... with those in the 6 digit range that'd be a real PITA to deal with as a corner worker

pick 3 digits that you could re-arrange (magnetics) or talk with your regional registrar about reserving a number (permanent decals)

• Members

Pick a three(3) digit # and always register for an event early... that will assure you that you won't have to change your #.

Thanks guys, my wife registered me as a present in March, so I don't think she knew about the numbers.

i will ask in the NE area!

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...
I have registered for the June HPDE at Road Atlanta.

There's a HPDE at Road Atlanta in June?

In 2004 when the post was new

FYI,

In the MA region there is no such animal as a reserved number for HPDE.

it is first come -first served. Please fill all 3 number fields in when you register so I have something to choose from if I need to change your number.