#2 NASA AIX Championship Race Incar Video

Ernesto Roco

Parts 2&3 are on the way.

I can't wait for the roof cam footage to come out from Speedcastproductions.com also..

Thanks Paul Bird for doing this..

out drove the camera, huh? that must be some fast driving?

guess there wasn't enough front bumper. might use one of those CHP front bumpers next year that will clear the road hogs.

i took out my padding out in the front bumper and don't think there is much holding it together either. only in TT now but might advance to AIX or change the motor and get into AI.

do you think the pass in the grass may have caused the damage?

good going anyways!!!! appreciate the video!!!!!!!!!

maybe one of these days i'll figure out how to post some videos??????????

i'm going to install some seals it spring thing-a-madugers (you know what i mean ) before my next outing to barbers. got to find about 2 seconds to try to compete in ttu (1:38ish).

The grass pass did'nt hurt the front bumper at all. It was the contact with 17 on the carousel before the front straight, Iwas on the gas and he was on the brake

Screw that CHP bumper, I am getting the Caterpillar dozer front end for next year, you watch..

I also propose that ALL cars must have brake lights.

i would have definetly thought that brake lights would be mandatory not just for you but for the safety of the guy in front. especially when the cat front end is going to be installed.

i guess i don't have the true racing bug yet, but i would have let you by to handle your business. can't wait to see griz's video and see how well his camera held up to the" friendly nudges" you were giving him.

Cool video Ernesto. Much appreciated that you and paul put this together for those of us who were not able to attend. Missed another one damn it!!!

[edited for personal attack]

-V

Aw c'mon Vageli, Dawg's just commenting how he'd not brake-check a faster car. It's not muddied to me.

And E - aren't brake lights required? Or does AIX have a superceded rule to this one in the CCR:

15.15 Lights

All non-formula cars must have at least one (1) operating red brake light visible from the rear of the car, unless otherwise stated as optional (or prohibited) by the specific class rules.

That's messed up...

Yes brake lights are required in the CCR. I did'nt say anything before because I did not want to ruin his joyful celebration.

I hope NASA checks this going forward and does not allow this type of behavior.

And E - aren't brake lights required? Or does AIX have a superceded rule to this one in the CCR:

You mean this one?

7.4.12 All vehicles must start a race with a minimum of two functioning brake lights.

That looks like a very frustrating race. Especially when you got Chris "The Chop" Griswold in front of you parking it in the apex and chopping every run you get on him. Next year we will bring a titanium (light weight and strong) dozer front end. If your going to brake check at least give us a light to know when it is about to happen.

Ryan Walton

I saw brake lights (in Ernesto's video) on the #17.

TTU guy: in Nationals racing you don't let a guy by. #17 wasn't going to let #2 by. It was up to #2 to execute a clean pass for position, which he eventually did. In Time Trials you guys aren't racing for position, so it makes sense to let a faster/better handling car by for sportsmanship. We're in "different" groups OK?

I also think #17 jumped the start--that's why #2 is on the gas as soon as the pace car pulls off, before a green flag is seen. If that's the case, #17 has a position unfairly.

#2 (in hindsight) could have driven a *maybe* cleaner race, not hit #17 and therefore not lose his nose and retire, and then protest the jumped start after the fact.

All conspiracy theories and regional loyalties aside, #2 was the faster car but #17 won the National race.

FYI, we had quite a few "jumped" starts in the AI race by guys who had probably missed the driver's meeting where JWL informed us to not start on the AIX flag. However, I'm happy that the guys who missed the "memo," and jumped the start, falled back into their positions before the start of our race.

I've gotta find out how to compress my in-car video so I can put it online!

Christine

I saw brake lights (in Ernesto's video) on the #17.

TTU guy: in Nationals racing you don't let a guy by. #17 wasn't going to let #2 by. It was up to #2 to execute a clean pass for position, which he eventually did. In Time Trials you guys aren't racing for position, so it makes sense to let a faster/better handling car by for sportsmanship. We're in "different" groups OK?

I also think #17 jumped the start--that's why #2 is on the gas as soon as the pace car pulls off, before a green flag is seen. If that's the case, #17 has a position unfairly.

#2 (in hindsight) could have driven a *maybe* cleaner race, not hit #17 and therefore not lose his nose and retire, and then protest the jumped start after the fact.

All conspiracy theories and regional loyalties aside, #2 was the faster car but #17 won the National race.

FYI, we had quite a few "jumped" starts in the AI race by guys who had probably missed the driver's meeting where JWL informed us to not start on the AIX flag. However, I'm happy that the guys who missed the "memo," and jumped the start, falled back into their positions before the start of our race.

I've gotta find out how to compress my in-car video so I can put it online!

Christine

Christine,

You are implying as if I had a choice in the matter. The 17 car was tapping his brakes in the part of the track where you supposed to accelerate. It's plain and simple a dirty trick.

I did everything I can to not touch the 17 but without brake lights and the brake checking what am I to do.

Where did you see brake lights?

BTW, I have done over 60 AI/AIX races and not once have I caused a contact.

...and now since we're delving into name calling and other nonsense, this one gets the lock and I have removed some of the taunting above as it is embarassing to see. As the racers in this series, we need to be leaders and rise above the pettiness and "you don't know what you're talking about" arrogance that seems to plague many racing series today. It's disappointing to see this as we're supposed to be the role models for guys and gals out there aspiring to race in AI in the future.

As to the substantive issues here:

> No paper was filed at the conclusion of the race regarding brake lights, blocking, unsafe passes or yellow flag passes. If there was an issue, protests should have been filed and not hidden.

> Because no protests were filed, the Monday morning quarterbacking is just that and is beyond worthless.

> The CCR was enforced during this race and will be enforced consistently when I have the helm. Period.

> Before some of you start calling "chops" and "blocks" you need to read the entire CCR instead of just quoting selected chapters on brake lights.

> We need to lighten up and knock off the high school locker room antics. Nobody is going to kick anyone's teeth in and it's silly to spend time debating who has the better lap time or more skill on track on the Internet. Come out and race, enjoy the experience, and head home with some great stories to tell instead of racing to the keyboard to snipe off some clever remarks off about how dirty this guy is, how fast you were, or how much the officials suck. It gets really old to see this stuff and I hope we can find a way to rise above it.

So, great video, great racing, and let's try to remember we're all supposed to be friends here.

-JWL

[edited as well as I think more about this]