Enduros in 2008 ?

Jim P.

What format would you like to see for an Enduro in 2008?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What format would you like to see for an Enduro in 2008?

• 60 mins - no mandatory stop
    • 60 mins - (1) 1 min mandatory stop
    • 60 mins - (1) 3 min mandatory stop
    • 60 mins - (1) 5 min mandatory stop
    • 90 mins - no mandatory stop
    • 90 mins - (1) 1 min mandatory stop
    • 90 mins - (1) 3 min mandatory stop
    • 90 mins - (1) 5 min mandatory stop
    • 120 mins - no mandatory stop

• Members

Folks,

I wanted to start a topic specifically about Enduros in 2008. We will do our best to schedule them at various events, and we will also schedule them as the finale of the Saturday or Sunday festivities. I wanted to poll folks and please only post if you TRULY plan to participate in the Enduros!!!.

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fred Crawford

• chumpy36

• robbodleimages

• Jim P.

• Members

Some things to consider: (http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/enduro.pdf)

8.5. Refueler attire

Refuelers must wear safety equipment equivalent to the driver as per the CCR (i.e. Nomex suit, gloves, shoes, and helmet) during refueling. There is no limit to the number of refuelers provided that each is donning the proper attire. All over-the-wall crewmembers in contact with any fueling device or catch pan will be considered another refueler and subject to proper attire. All refuelers with open faced helmets must wear a balaclava (head sock) while refueling whether they have any facial hair or not.

8.5.1 Exception to the refueler’s helmet requirement: Refuelers may, utilize a Snell SA90 or SA95 rated helmet, for refueling providing that it is clearly and permanently marked with the word(s) “FUEL,â€

robbodleimages

I cast my vote for 90:00 with one stop, but would probably modify it to 60 with zero stops. Fueling means 2 person crew minimum and I wonder how many guys can bring a 2 person crew to many events.

Call me an optimist, but I think that with the group of people we have it wouldn't be too hard to find help. Also, unless everyone was coming in at the same time (which could happen with a full course yellow), I think a "pit crew" could help serve more than one car. I know I'd be willing to help (until I get my comp license of course). I don't yet have a fire suit, but I'll hold a fire extinguisher.

Fred Crawford
Call me an optimist, but I think that with the group of people we have it wouldn't be too hard to find help. Also, unless everyone was coming in at the same time (which could happen with a full course yellow), I think a "pit crew" could help serve more than one car. I know I'd be willing to help (until I get my comp license of course). I don't yet have a fire suit, but I'll hold a fire extinguisher.

In PCA there has never been a problem, everybody helps each other, you kinda work in teams, friends helping each other out.

Again I will stress, all cars are built different when it comes to fuel / tanks/ cells, if we expect to get folks from other clubs to come and run with Nasa ( even us ) we need to have manditory stops to level the field. As I said on another post, for those who do not need gas, you WILL still have an advantage because you come in pause for 5 minutes ( timed perfictly ) and then haul butt out and continue racing, us other guys have to get out of the car, help refuel ect ect.

In Nasa " run whatcha brung " we have spec cars/ stock tanks,,,, we have Thunder Roadsters/ 5 gal,,,, we have Porsche 911 stock 17 gal,,,, Porsche 911 W/cell 10 gal on and on................

Fc

Exxon

• Members

To clarify a "Mandatory Pit Stop" - it would be the time from when the driver enters pit lane to when they can leave pit lane.

If they choose to refuel or repair it would be inclusive of that time. The clock starts when they enter pit lane, whatever they do while on pit lane is their choice as long as they don't interfere with other competitors.

..with a lot of the regular Clemson crew sitting this event out , Id advise everyone not to get too carried away with complicated details this time around. A fair number of the grid folks and so on may be relative nOObs to this stuff.

Suggest using the KISS principle at BMP, and save the complex gymnastics for 2008.

robbodleimages

We are going to run a 3 hour enduro in November and however they configure this enduro, we are going to enjoy it as an experience and a test session.

Like big Jim said. Its for fun.

In fact we are only racing the Saturday Thunder race to finish clean and learn the track. We've considered pitting during even that race to adjust the car as we want to stay out of the way of those racing for triple points in the championship.

laps and fun in.

armco and body work out....no stress either.

I am just really excited about the prospect of actually racing next year and feel that a few enduros will help get me up to speed faster= more track time!

I assume the enduros would be open to "rookies"?

It would be nice to have one night enduro to bring another level of excitement to it. Like during August when it's 110 degrees during the day we could have a race start late like around 7pm, sell some beer and have a really good time.

I'm pretty much out on the idea stopping for a pit break or like I have seen in other enduro where they make you take on x amount of fuel. It also adds to the cost of the event when you now have to buy a suit & helmet for your crew cheif and hi flow gas jugs.

90 minutes would be just about right imho.

mpowers

Fred Crawford

The ones I have run..... 90 minutes, 5 minute stop. 5 minutes starts when you cross into pit lane and out at exit. You have to fuel 5 gallon jug( at atime) and out of car, so it takes all 5 minutes plus, it is a important part of the race, again non fueling racers sit there, time their exit perfectly and just go back out on track, In Falcons case he can wipe him self up......... during that time, get refreshed.

Fc

Exxon

In Falcons case he can wipe him self up......... during that time, get refreshed.

Fc

Exxon

Now why would you say that? Falcon is one cool in control guy. He never breaks a sweat.

Knowing ol Falcon he would use that time to sign autographs

Fred Crawford
In Falcons case he can wipe him self up......... during that time, get refreshed.

Fc

Exxon

Now why would you say that? Falcon is one cool in control guy. He never breaks a sweat.

Knowing ol Falcon he would use that time to sign autographs

You are correct, don't know what I was thinking///////

FC

I think the only way to do this right is to have a 90 minute enduro with one mandatory stop. Any more or less and you get problems with sharing a car which most of us will want to do.

make it a 5 minute stop and keep people honest by taking your fastest lap, add the traverse time of the pit lane at a certain speed limit and you get your pit stop time. Check laptimes to make sure that there's a laptime that is equal or greater than the sum of the fastest lap plus traverse time plus 5 minutes.

That's really the only way to keep people from fudging.

Jason

I think the only way to do this right is to have a 90 minute enduro with one mandatory stop. Any more or less and you get problems with sharing a car which most of us will want to do.

make it a 5 minute stop and keep people honest by taking your fastest lap, add the traverse time of the pit lane at a certain speed limit and you get your pit stop time. Check laptimes to make sure that there's a laptime that is equal or greater than the sum of the fastest lap plus traverse time plus 5 minutes.

Jason

That won't work b/c you cross start/finish in the pits at most tracks. You'd have to take the two longest laptimes (which should be consecutive), add them together, and subtract fastest lap X 2.

Jason

That won't work b/c you cross start/finish in the pits at most tracks. You'd have to take the two longest laptimes (which should be consecutive), add them together, and subtract fastest lap X 2.

it works at every track. I promise. Last three years at the ARRC. Multiple times at Roebling and at several other tracks.

You have to figure the traverse time for this to work though.

J

Fc

Exxon

I might take that time to read a book or watch a movie, and maybe take a shower.

Fred Crawford

Fc

Exxon

I might take that time to read a book or watch a movie, and maybe take a shower.

Make sure to pit close to me......... I'll loan you my soap

Fc

On a Rope

Lucid Moments

Fc

Exxon

Make sure to pit close to me......... I'll loan you my soap

Fc

On a Rope

Just don't drop it with Fred around you never know what will happen.

Jason

it works at every track. I promise. Last three years at the ARRC. Multiple times at Roebling and at several other tracks.

J

The traverse time is split across two laps if you cross the timing beam in the pits.

Jason

J

The traverse time is split across two laps if you cross the timing beam in the pits.

the traverse time should be only on one lap. The start finish line should always be either at the beginning of the pits or at the end. At Barber and roebling it would be at the end. At Road Atlanta, at the beginning.

J

the traverse time should be only on one lap. The start finish line should always be either at the beginning of the pits or at the end. At Barber and roebling it would be at the end. At Road Atlanta, at the beginning.

J

Well, this isn't worth arguing over, but I think your "pit lane" will start before the timing beam at most tracks. Would you want people at race pace in pit lane until they got to S/F at Road Atlanta?

But anyways, it is easy enough to make a mandatory 5min pit stop for an enduro. No reason not to have one (this coming from someone that could probably run 120 mins w/o stopping).

Fred Crawford

PLEASE GUYS,

lets not complicate things ............... the question is and the point is ..

Do we want enduro's with manatory pit stops, if so how long. All the else can be worked out.

And the reason for this is.... to make a race fair for all types of race cars regardless of fuel cell size.

One should ask whats not in my best intersest, BUT, whats best for the RACE group. Not that I'll lose 5 valuable minutes of racing, BUT, what would be a fair race for ALL racers........ to go out there and have a fair competitive , great, fun time.

Fc

Rodney King of Nasa

J

Well, this isn't worth arguing over, but I think your "pit lane" will start before the timing beam at most tracks. Would you want people at race pace in pit lane until they got to S/F at Road Atlanta?

But anyways, it is easy enough to make a mandatory 5min pit stop for an enduro. No reason not to have one (this coming from someone that could probably run 120 mins w/o stopping).

At Road Atlanta, the pitlane actually starts much earlier, at the top of the hill but there is no speed limit until you reach start finish. Just like in Formula one. It's up to the competitor to go at a speed that makes sense through there.

my only point was, it's easy to figure out and there's no need to split over different laps. The timing loop at all tracks will either be at the end or the beginning of the official pit area.

There's no reason not to have a 5 min pit stop in my opinion.