Cleaning slag off tires between events

JamesS

I don't drive the car much between events so much of the slag stays on the tire when it gets to the next event. Do you guys clean your tires of the clag between events and have any of you found any difference when you do or do not clean it off?

My car is typically a handful for 4-5 laps of the first session and my primary intent for these laps is to stay as far away from other cars as possible. I'm trying to find ways to reduce this initial tire clean/warmup time to maybe 2laps instead.

img2776un8.th.jpg

I don't drive the car much between events so much of the slag stays on the tire when it gets to the next event. Do you guys clean your tires of the clag between events and have any of you found any difference when you do or do not clean it off?

My car is typically a handful for 4-5 laps of the first session and my primary intent for these laps is to stay as far away from other cars as possible. I'm trying to find ways to reduce this initial tire clean/warmup time to maybe 2laps instead.

img2776un8.th.jpg

You can always bring a heavy duty wire brush.

As soon as you pull in, put your car on Jack Stands, and scrub away.

Of course this may make you late for your download sessions. It easiest to do when your tires are still hot. You can also use a heat gun.

Do you guys clean your tires of the clag between events...?

are you serious?

NO, I dont know of ANYONE who is the least bit concerned about cleaning the 'extra' rubber off their tires.

i've seen folks doing that for autocrosses for whatever reason, but haven't heard that it is of any benefit or detriment for HPDEs. . . i'd say don't worry about it

It will clean itself off next lap. I use to clean it off before pulling in the garage b/c it would fall on my head while I was working on it between events.

There is no need to worry about it. After the first few corners they will clean off. I have never cleaned mine and it was never an issue.

Drive your track tires for 50 miles on the street and it will be gone. However it is not really necessary. I usually pick at it just to pick at it but have experienced no problems on track

get a quart mason jar like me and pick off what you can and put it in the jar. Do this for each event and you have a season long jar of track boogers. Its a great conversation piece for people like me that have no life other then the car.

get a quart mason jar like me and pick off what you can and put it in the jar. Do this for each event and you have a season long jar of track boogers. Its a great conversation piece for people like me that have no life other then the car.

Now that is funny, sad but funny.

The only thing I do is wipe off the rubber fragments that collect on the the inside of the rim. I do this at the end of the day. Prolly not necessary, but in my mind it may throw off the wheel balance.

The only thing I do is wipe off the rubber fragments that collect on the the inside of the rim. I do this at the end of the day. Prolly not necessary, but in my mind it may throw off the wheel balance.
I do that at the end of the day when I rotate my tires. You should rotate them at least once during the weekend so they all wear the same.

. . . i don't have this problem. granted, my tires are street tires with a treadwear rating of like a hundred thousand or something ridiculous like that. let's just say they're VERY VERY communicative

I do that at the end of the day when I rotate my tires. You should rotate them at least once during the weekend so they all wear the same.

Absolutely, Dave. I rotate on Saturday night.

. . . i don't have this problem. granted, my tires are street tires with a treadwear rating of like a hundred thousand or something ridiculous like that. let's just say they're VERY VERY communicative

Wow! All-season tires?

chad i always knew your tires were possessed!!!

yeah mine are the good ole narrow, hard, stockers that came with the car. everybody screamed and hollered to use the streets til HPDE3 which is what i intend to do. . . mostly cause the tires have lots of life left and i don't want to buy new tires and/or new wheels just yet.

Drive your track tires for 50 miles on the street and it will be gone. However it is not really necessary. I usually pick at it just to pick at it but have experienced no problems on track

There's around 200miles worth of street driving on the tire pic I posted. Maybe my alignment settings cause it to stay stuck to certain parts of the tire longer?

My last event, it was an "interesting" feeling having these raced out vipers swarming all around me when I'm trying to deal with my squirly green tires through a corner. I suppose I'll clean it all off to see if there is any difference at the next event. Otherwise, there's always the "N" on the rear windshield for the first session.

Thanks.

track boogers!!!! eeewwww!!!!!!

lol