Lemming

NASA SE 2008 Schedule

Fred Crawford
Fred, I am not sure why you don't understand the need to win.

I understand not having the need to win. Some people are happy participating and being in a social situation with people that share their interests. Thats cool. I understand how that be a mindset.

On the other hand this is competition. There are many people that just don't feel right competiting at any less than their best. The need to excel is part of their personality. That is why they race. Some guys drive and some guys race.

I can't tell you how hard it was for me at Barber after running second in class for most of my laps at Roebling to be content with running in the back because I needed one more clean finish.

I personally, would not feel comfortable at the Nationals without proper preperation. That means traveling up there at least one other time to get some laps.

Now, thats just me. But its a mindset that is not unique to me.

There is a 50/50 chance that I go to Nationals this season. But for me it would mean cutting back from 7 or 8 SE races to 4 or 5 and it depends a lot on the quality of my driving.

I understand to need to win, I think I'm a competitive guy, sometimes my wins are personal, like 2006 at the Nationals, never been on the track only knew a couple of people, everbody faster than me, I just wanted to learn the track, not look like a rookie, make all races , maybe win something.all accomplished. If one must always come in first, there would only be 1 car in the race....

Fc

Flock of Geese

Jim P.

I agree w/Fred I have been to the Nationals twice, both years I was at the back of the pack riding around (AI '06, E30 '07) affectionately calling myself "pack filler". But every nite we found a new group of new NASA friends to hang out with and enjoy the social atmosphere. I know that we have awesome weekends at our events but escalate that to the National level and you see what I mean... BTW- That's how we came up with the idea for the MadBrew folks to come to Barber!

If you are worried about the "home track advantage" sign up for the "supersize" option, I did this past year and can vouch that I was jumping in the car 6 times a day to go back out on track (when I wasn't on track I was filling the car w/gas!)

My advice is as soon as the Nationals '08 registration opens, sign up, get your car ready and go, you won't regret it!

Fred Crawford
I agree w/Fred I have been to the Nationals twice, both years I was at the back of the pack riding around (AI '06, E30 '07) affectionately calling myself "pack filler". But every nite we found a new group of new NASA friends to hang out with and enjoy the social atmosphere. I know that we have awesome weekends at our events but escalate that to the National level and you see what I mean... BTW- That's how we came up with the idea for the MadBrew folks to come to Barber!

If you are worried about the "home track advantage" sign up for the "supersize" option, I did this past year and can vouch that I was jumping in the car 6 times a day to go back out on track (when I wasn't on track I was filling the car w/gas!)

My advice is as soon as the Nationals '08 registration opens, sign up, get your car ready and go, you won't regret it!

Jim your always last..............

Fc

robbodleimages

Not look like a rookie. Lets start with that one since all my recent experience has been with orange stripes on the rear of my car(wondering what the reaction will be next season to my orange #55 AI car).

For me to feel comfortable on that track I will have to get some laps and that means at least one extra trip. Thats expensive.

And you did say maybe win something. The chance to win is important. For me chances would be more than slim.

If I could run between the back quarter and the middle of the pack in my first attempt, I would be satisfied. But its part of a process to be competitive.

robbodleimages

supersize? what is that?

Skeen
supersize? what is that?

Running in your race group and another group (like TTx or Ptx--whatever else your car fits in). Great way to learn the track. It would be cheaper to take that whole week off, attend a Mid-Ohio practice day, and supersize to get the extra practice on Thursday than it would be to make two trips.

Falcon
supersize? what is that?

Running in your race group and another group (like TTx or Ptx--whatever else your car fits in). Great way to learn the track. It would be cheaper to take that whole week off, attend a Mid-Ohio practice day, and supersize to get the extra practice on Thursday than it would be to make two trips.

I agree with that. You will get as much or more track time doing it that way than 2 trips. Plus it'll all be fresh in your memory muscles for the race.

I heard someone describe the nuances of driving well at Mid Ohio like learning the game of chess. You can learn to play chess in a day, but it'll take you a lifetime to master it.

That's like Mid Ohio. The more you drive it the more the little secrets reveal themselves.

Fred Crawford
Not look like a rookie. Lets start with that one since all my recent experience has been with orange stripes on the rear of my car(wondering what the reaction will be next season to my orange #55 AI car).

For me to feel comfortable on that track I will have to get some laps and that means at least one extra trip. Thats expensive.

And you did say maybe win something. The chance to win is important. For me chances would be more than slim.

If I could run between the back quarter and the middle of the pack in my first attempt, I would be satisfied. But its part of a process to be competitive.

OK

Fc

Geese and Ducks

robbodleimages

Ok, Falcon. I see your point there. Maybe that is a better way of looking at it.

I can take the week off as well.

1LapSRT

Running an event at Mid-Ohio is no more expensive than a local event, it's just bit longer drive.

To prepare for One Lap and Nationals this year, I decided to skip the April trip to Rockingham and headed to MO the following weekend instead. I left my house in SC with the car on the trailer about 7 am on Friday and got to the track about 4:30pm. Plenty of time for tech inspection and getting a place to paddock for the weekend. I went and checked into my el-cheapo room (offset the gas money spent to get there) and had a nice casual dinner.

I ran Saturday and Sunday and between session 2 and 3 on Sunday I packed up everything so that after I pulled off track from session 3 about 2 or 3 pm. I drove straight onto the trailer and headed home. I pulled in sometime after midnight (it's a little blury).

That weekend helped us to secure our 1st Place position in One Lap by beating everyone in our class by upwards of 5 seconds or more (and 80+ cars that weren't in our class as well).

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend Nationals this year, but I will likely make a MO trip next spring as well to continue to prepare for September '08.

Fred Crawford
Running an event at Mid-Ohio is no more expensive than a local event, it's just bit longer drive.

To prepare for One Lap and Nationals this year, I decided to skip the April trip to Rockingham and headed to MO the following weekend instead. I left my house in SC with the car on the trailer about 7 am on Friday and got to the track about 4:30pm. Plenty of time for tech inspection and getting a place to paddock for the weekend. I went and checked into my el-cheapo room (offset the gas money spent to get there) and had a nice casual dinner.

I ran Saturday and Sunday and between session 2 and 3 on Sunday I packed up everything so that after I pulled off track from session 3 about 2 or 3 pm. I drove straight onto the trailer and headed home. I pulled in sometime after midnight (it's a little blury).

That weekend helped us to secure our 1st Place position in One Lap by beating everyone in our class by upwards of 5 seconds or more (and 80+ cars that weren't in our class as well).

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend Nationals this year, but I will likely make a MO trip next spring as well to continue to prepare for September '08.

Thats the way to do it....

Fc

Nobody No Title

Jim P.
I heard someone describe the nuances of driving well at Mid Ohio like learning the game of chess. You can learn to play chess in a day, but it'll take you a lifetime to master it.

That's like Mid Ohio. The more you drive it the more the little secrets reveal themselves.

I'll agree w/that, from my first session on Thursday to Sunday's final race I knocked off 8 seconds from my laptimes... 6 sessions a day, 4 days... you can't get any better seat time than that

Falcon

One of the problems with Nationals is there are no El Cheapo Motels. Most everything doubles in price and some require a 5 day minimum stay.

The Hampton Inn went from $88 ~$160 per night. So did everyone else.

Fred Crawford
One of the problems with Nationals is there are no El Cheapo Motels. Most everything doubles in price and some require a 5 day minimum stay.

The Hampton Inn went from $88 ~$160 per night. So did everyone else.

Maybe you did not know this but.......... The Deere Barn was pretty comfortable, if you were a nice guy, you and your monkey could stayed in my guess quarters......

Fc

Motel 6

Jim P.

We stayed at a Super8 (Mansfield) for $60/night - but I know that Julie made the reservations a year in advance

Sidney

Great discussion.

Listen...Mid-Ohio is technical but you guys run Road Atanata and in my opinion just as difficult to learn and hold the pedal down. If you're comfortable at RA you will be just fine at MO.

There are very few racing NASA with the budgets to run test days. For you first timers, just look at the Nationals as another race and track you've never been at. There will be lots of cars to play with no matter how fast you think you are or not. Several guys in AI have very limited experience at MO and were in the top 10. Again, consistency pays dividends at Nationals.

For those who have to win...how hollow is a victory at a regional race when you know the really fast guys are at MO that weekend? Racing at Nationals will make you step up your game and prove to the local guys that "Yes you really are fast!".

No excuse for expensive hotels. I got a room for Saturday night when the temps dropped too low for my sleeping bag/trailer. I paid $89 at the Country Inn in Mansfield with a reservation made Saturday morning.

Didn't mean to highjack your 2008 schedule thread with all this Nationals talk and definitely didn't imply to skip regional races. Just look at the Nationals as another race on your 2008 schedule and plan to have fun.

Sidney Franklin

AI #64 (11th at 2007 Nationals...been to MO 3 times)

Falcon
We stayed at a Super8 (Mansfield) for $60/night - but I know that Julie made the reservations a year in advance

I made mine early, too, but they changed the rates on me in an email notice sent in May. I called around but couldn't find anything that was any different.

Can I stay with y'll next year?

Maybe you did not know this but.......... The Deere Barn was pretty comfortable, if you were a nice guy, you and your monkey could stayed in my guess quarters......

Yea, when you were on track Ellen asked me to stay, but I declined. I figured that was bad form and everything.

Fc

1LapSRT

I was in the Knights Inn. Had a McD's across the street and a rib place in front of it. I think it was $42/night.

Fred Crawford

I made mine early, too, but they changed the rates on me in an email notice sent in May. I called around but couldn't find anything that was any different.

Yea, when you were on track Ellen asked me to stay, but I declined. I figured that was bad form and everything.

Fc

Not with that little momkey, I know your lying...

Fc

robbodleimages

I'll agree w/that, from my first session on Thursday to Sunday's final race I knocked off 8 seconds from my laptimes... 6 sessions a day, 4 days... you can't get any better seat time than that

OK...I am in. Just watch out for all that orange stuff.

Falcon

Fc

Not with that little momkey, I know your lying...

Fc

Falcon

Trust me, a few of us from the SE have been to both Nationals that have been held so far and they have been a blast. You'll enjoy yourself thoroughly.

Falcon
I was in the Knights Inn. Had a McD's across the street and a rib place in front of it. I think it was $42/night.

I thought you didn't go to Nationals this year?

Fred Crawford

Trust me, a few of us from the SE have been to both Nationals that have been held so far and they have been a blast. You'll enjoy yourself thoroughly.

I will second that..... met great folks got lots of pointers on and off the track, this year I ran competive, pulled about 6 seconds off my2006 times.

Fc

Brad Pitt of Nasa

tonycook

So, when are the dates for 2008 Nationals?

Tony