AWD (no flaming please), and no mention of the Audi

heavychevy

At the very least, they should take away the four-door credit that makes me compete against Evos and STIs with 55 more hp.

Get off the four door credit. It's there for a reason and very legitimate. Not all 4 doors have AWD too!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StealthTT

• slowoldpoop

• 1LapSRT

• heavychevy

there is no point penalty in A-H so to speak, its taken care of in base classing.... but in S and U there is a correction factor in your power:weight

Not sure if this is what you're implying but some don't know that the base classing takes into account AWD, RWD, or FWD. Therefore the base classes would potentially change if there is a change in the AWD penalty and likewise with the 4-door credit. A change could be enough to move a car into another base class.

Someone once posted a snapshot of the Excel file with all the cars, but I have never seen this Excel file available for download and I can't find that post when searching. It's too bad that's not available. It displayed the hp used for classing as well as all the other 'factors' used in base classing each car.

At the very least, they should take away the four-door credit that makes me compete against Evos and STIs with 55 more hp.

Get off the four door credit. It's there for a reason and very legitimate. Not all 4 doors have AWD too!

Sorry SOP, he got ya there. He used the debate tactic of stating his opinion that it's there for a very legitimate reason. Not just a reason, but a very legitimate one.

there is no point penalty in A-H so to speak, its taken care of in base classing.... but in S and U there is a correction factor in your power:weight

That I know!

But does the "correction" factor in TTS & TTU equal the weight penalty that was previously given in GTS? In other words, if GTS added 200 pounds (Im guessing) to the car, it that the same amount of penalty that is applied via the "correction"?

GTS is done in a eerily similar way to S & U, so I would say so...

Sorry SOP, he got ya there. He used the debate tactic of stating his opinion that it's there for a very legitimate reason. Not just a reason, but a very legitimate one.

Lest I refresh your memory!

2005EVOLUTIONRS.jpg

Lest I refresh your memory!

2005EVOLUTIONRS.jpg

Alright, I looked it up.

Coefficient of drag numbers

Dodge SRT4: 0.35

Mitsubishi 3000GT: 0.33

the sleak looking Viper: over .40!

the boxy Scion xB: .32

the Audi A2: .25

Now the frontal area:

Dodge SRT4: 19.54

Mitsubishi 3000GT: 20.7

Drag = Coefficient of drag x Frontal area in sq ft

SRT4 = 6.839

3000GT = 6.831

Man that's even closer than I though it was going to be. Looks like you can't just judge the drag by the way the car looks, huh?

Then throw all these numbers out the window when we:

a) run windows down

b) add front air dams and/or splitters

c) add or remove the plastic underneath the radiator and engine

d) put vents in our hoods or change the whole shape of the hood

e) add or change rear spoilers

f) lower the car

g) change springs altering the height and angle of attack at speed as well

etc. etc.

Then we can't discount the benefits of higher drag, namely the reduction of lift. The trick is to achieve low lift or even downforce and low drag. This is where teams like F1 and NASCAR spend millions of dollars in development.

You can't simplify something like this. Fluid dynamics does not work like it looks like it should. Turbulent flow will sneak up and give you a smackdown.

aren't you the guy that probably has a TTA car if you'd total up your points to be sure?

It all depends on the 2008 rules, which I am waiting for as fast as I can. When they get finalized, I'll add up my points and see where I fit.

As for the four-door rule, that probably applies in TTF-TTA, but not in TTS or TTU where the Evos and STIs roam around with aero kits. It's not a point thing, it's a deduction that negates the AWD hp/wt penalty. If youi've ever seen the AMS Evo, with its splitter, body kit and two-stage wing, you'd realize that it is no longer hampered by having four doors.

A-H is a completely different animal that S/U/R, I've really only seen the base classes be off on 2-3 cars in the almost 3 years I've been around TT as either a competior, regional director, or both

With S and U being run under a different and completely new idea this year I'd expect there to possibly be some changes that need to be done, but in A-H, that stuff is solid and well done...

Then throw all these numbers out the window when we:

a) run windows down

b) add front air dams and/or splitters

c) add or remove the plastic underneath the radiator and engine

d) put vents in our hoods or change the whole shape of the hood

e) add or change rear spoilers

f) lower the car

g) change springs altering the height and angle of attack at speed as well

etc. etc.

Don't forget this one....

h) Leaving your front license plate on the car during track days.