National Series Idea for 2008

Red Tornado

I was told last week that the SVTOA Sebring event will be Memorial Day weekend in May rather their traditional April date, but since I put that date on my schedule its not an issue for me.

I could commit to the first 6 dates.

No one should take offense at this, but how about a little reality?

We had a crossover event in 2007: NASA Rocky Mtn and Ohio met at MidAmerica. Quite a few people towed from Colorado/Kansas/etc to MAM, and quite a few people came from Chicago/etc.

Those of us in the Rocky Mtn region sort of expected the Ohio region folks to come to Hastings, NE as a reciprocal event. Didn't happen. Why? Probably for the reasons already listed: two much travel time, too much expense, too much... This is NASA folks. If you want to spend lots of $$, and your life on the road, there are several choices which already exist.

Several folks have already said it: stop trying to FIX something that isn't BROKEN.

-chris

(yes, a lowly CMC'er)

I am with Robin but it seems like a compromise may be what everyone wants.

Perhaps just a few cross over events (excluding nationals) that we are allowed to count 1 or 2 for our regional season and have the cross overs count as double points.

VIR/Road Atlanta/Sebring/Barber

Watkins Glen/Summit Point/ Mid-Ohio/Mid-America

etc..

So maybe you don't get folks having to travel cross country unless they want but it encourages big groups at regional events.

This way the folks that want to do it can motivate and go to the big events and if you don't no big deal.

May get alot of those folks who only go to a few events a year coming out more often also.

Folks-

As has been pointed out above, heading out on a cross-regional tour requires a great deal of resources and time that few of us have. I know I ended up somewhat tapped out after doing this for years when I still had my "day job" and I imagine that many of you all would face the same challenges.

However, if there is enough interest for some selected events, hit up your local RD or AI Series Director and see what can be done. RD's are often able to work out the revenue issues to make things less painful and to ensure that the regions both see an equitable benefit, so wait for the 2008 dates and fire off your thoughts to your local guys to see what is possible.

Of course, I still expect to see all you jokers at the Nats...

-JWL

I never tire of racing Jason, he is a true class act.

I dont think anything official should be done if a bunch of us fools want to run at all of the premire tracks east of the Mississippi. I dont want to draw people ($'s) away from the regions. I would like to know that if I make some long tows that there will be someone to race with when I get there. Let's see how the schedules work out and plan some fun "challenge" events. If the regional directors can cross region advertise then that would be cool, if not no big deal. In no case should these events keep people from coming to the Nationals. The "Nationals" is the premeir event of the year, don't miss it. It's a blast, cool format, great people and that Jay Andrews guy. ARGHHHH!

Robin out..............

I never tire of racing Jason, he is a true class act.

I dont think anything official should be done if a bunch of us fools want to run at all of the premire tracks east of the Mississippi. I dont want to draw people ($'s) away from the regions. I would like to know that if I make some long tows that there will be someone to race with when I get there. Let's see how the schedules work out and plan some fun "challenge" events. If the regional directors can cross region advertise then that would be cool, if not no big deal. In no case should these events keep people from coming to the Nationals. The "Nationals" is the premeir event of the year, don't miss it. It's a blast, cool format, great people and that Jay Andrews guy. ARGHHHH!

Robin out..............

Robin, Well said, I'd be interested in making at least one long tow to a premier track, but, as you said, it's a matter of schedule and time. Robin and Chris appear to be the lead on this idea, and it would be pretty cool to race with you guys and any one else interested. So, once the schedules are posted, perhaps we can revisit this idea. The east coast tracks I'd like to race at are VIR, Road Atlanta, Barber Motosports and Watkins Glen.

I would love to see you guys down south. Chris Desalvo came to the March VIR this year, and we had a great race. Bill Headley came to Summit Point from the Northeast region, and gave me a run for my money on Sunday. I plan to go run with the Southeast at Road Atlanta in March next year, and hope to make a Ohio\Indiana event as well. We would all welcome more competition from the great white north at some of the Southeast, or Mid-Atlantic events next year. I am very loyal to my region, but I have always tried to make some other region races.

Come and play

Great idea Robin on running tracks on the "Gotta Go There" list. Once the schedules are out I will seriously consider making a few long hauls to VIR/Glen/Atlanta. I would probably do the Feb, March, maybe april out of region, but also do a few in Midwest/OH-IND.

I would love to see you guys down south. Chris Desalvo came to the March VIR this year, and we had a great race. Bill Headley came to Summit Point from the Northeast region, and gave me a run for my money on Sunday. I plan to go run with the Southeast at Road Atlanta in March next year, and hope to make a Ohio\Indiana event as well. We would all welcome more competition from the great white north at some of the Southeast, or Mid-Atlantic events next year. I am very loyal to my region, but I have always tried to make some other region races.

Come and play

Hey Beau,

Thanks for the kind words. I had a great time at Summit Point. I am also planning to do a few double weekends at Mid Ohio this coming year. I hope one of the locals could show me around the track a few times, since I've never been there before.

I would like to see other regions come and race at some of the Northeast tracks, too.

Bill Headley

2007 Northeast Iron Series Champion

Sorry I missed the Nationals, couldn't get the time. It sounds like you guys had a blast. Maybe next year!

I love the gotta go to that cross-over event list.

If we could count one or two a season in local points that would be even more of a bonus.

I will commit to VIR and Mid-Ohio definetly at the least. If directors but up even some token jesture cross-over event trophies (add $10 in cost to the normal trophy and call it something special) and tease us with bragging rights I think many of us would travel to these events.

JWL, but it in the hands of each director to name there 2 big events of the year and hype them and then leave it to us to show up.

The Mid-Atlantic must attend race(and this is with three VIR dates on the schedule) is the June Hyperfest at Summit point. This is the wildest race weekend that you will ever attend. But, if you want to go, you better sign up as soon as registration opens. The race groups actually filled up, and were closed this year. You race all day, and then go to the drift contest, daisy dukes contest, and live band, before turning in to rest up for the Sunday race. Great fun!

As someone who raced in a total of 3 different regions this year ( RA w/NASA-SE, Iowa w/NASA-Midwest, MSR-H w/NASA-TX, and Barber with NASA-SE again...does anyone ever tire of Jim Panties?? ), not to mention racing at the Nationals for the 2nd time, I'll say this.....

Regardless of whether or not a "national AI series" ever comes to fruition, racing with a region other than your home region is a freak'n hoot. There's nothing like making the tow to a completely unfamiliar track, racing with new folks, in a region you've not raced with before, to get yer blood going.

I personally made a few pretty hard-core tows ( ~13hrs to RA, ~12hrs to Iowa, ~10hrs to Barber and 22hrs to Mid-Ohio ), and each one was worth every minute. Some tracks I liked better than others, but nothing, and I mean nothing could beat racing and hanging out with a bunch of like minded nut-jobs.

If you ever find yourself in the position to race in another region...do it.

If directors but up even some token jesture cross-over event trophies (add $10 in cost to the normal trophy and call it something special)

plenty of Rock Creek Hillclimb mugs left, no waiting!