Someone reccommend me a good book

Mac11

Carrol smith has a series of books that is next on my list. Engineering to win, fasteners, and engineer in your pocket ( or very close to those titles).

Prepare To Win, Tune To Win, Engineer To Win, Drive To Win and Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook ("Screw To Win").

quote]

I've read all but the Fasteners, and he was a very detailed man. I'll have to reread them several times to absorb it all. I suggest starting with Drive to win and Tune to win as they lay a strong ground work for the others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not Ross,

I'm John, part of the Speed Secrets team. Interesting conversation. If anybody has any questions, let me know. I can forward them to Ross for the answer if needed!

Don't be afraid of the Inner Speed Secrets stuff. When we work coaching our drivers, those techniques bring out the big improvements. It's cool to see in action. Mind over matter, sort of thing.

I fully agree with the various mental and physical aspects / how it impacts racing. There are some books I prefer out there regarding the mental athlete which may not be specific to just motorsports which I like more. I simply wasn't a huge fan of the inner speed secrets book edition in the Speed Secrets series. But hey, that's just my opinion. I have found some of the writings that Phil Jackson has done very insightful including how Michael Jordan got into the "zone" and other various mental approaches.

All that said, I've done my share of promoting the other books in the series including listing it a couple of times in the book I wrote / published. Those along with Going Faster are fantastic for learning driving and racing techniques. (PM sent to ya.)

[While it might not seem to be directly related to racing, I also thought Phil Jackson's Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior was helpful. This discusses some of the mental aspects of sports, and how to approach things in a good manner. He also talked about Jordan and how he got in that "zone"; same things can easily be applied to racing.

I don't remember where it was first recommended to me as a book to help driving, but The Inner Game of Tennis really looks at the mental aspect and how to get into that "zone". I've never played a game of tennis in my life, but I highly recommend that book to anyone that competes, regardless of the sport.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to know whats going on inside my brain. If you knew me, you wouldn't either.

Not Ross,

I'm John, part of the Speed Secrets team. Interesting conversation. If anybody has any questions, let me know. I can forward them to Ross for the answer if needed!

Don't be afraid of the Inner Speed Secrets stuff. When we work coaching our drivers, those techniques bring out the big improvements. It's cool to see in action. Mind over matter, sort of thing.

At any rate, nice to meet you. I've got inner speed secrets sitting here waiting to be read right after I finish the first 2 books in the series, multivariate/multirivitive calculus, driving 15 hours across the country to pick up a car and a supercharger build. I guess I should go to work too. Drag.