GTS opinion poll 2007 1

bmw22

Should GTS expand to include all European cars?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should GTS expand to include all European cars?

• Yes, allow any European car
    • No, not at this time
    • No, never
    • Maybe some, but not all

If GTS was expanded to include all of Europe, why would we even need GTS? Seems to me that ST already exists with that option. The distinction between the two would become too small for my taste.

Interesting idea Mark. I'm drawing a blank though, what other European makes are running currently? ST, PT, and TT have Mazdas, Nissans, Mitsubishis, and one Subie at nationals.

Mark are you hiding a Ferrari in your garage for next year?

A couple of people have asked me about it recently, so I decided to hear what the masses have to say. It would give a place to all those Ferraris in the MidAtlantic region to come and play.

Bring on the 2CVs!

I don't think allowing all European makes is that bad, but the engine should be required to be from that make. If not, it will just be a battle of who can put the best suspension under a (relatively) cheap Corvette/Viper/Mustang engine.

A couple of people have asked me about it recently, so I decided to hear what the masses have to say. It would give a place to all those Ferraris in the MidAtlantic region to come and play.

In Texas, Ferrari runs in the ST classes. A couple of old Challenge cars ran at MSR-Cresson in March. Would that not work in MidAtlantic? We share the same run group so we still race one another. I enjoy competing with the Ferraris and can do so since we share the track during the same race but I would not want to change the distiguishing characteristic that created the series in the first place.

I also agree with the earlier comment, the engine should come from the same manufacturer as the chassis.

I was about to write that I agreed with the engine and chassis thing but then realized that one of the reasons our series is becoming so popular is that people that have done all sorts of wild things to thier cars have a place to race...

Also...in Texas we already run with the ST cars which include italian, english and what not...so it'd drive the same...but I'd have to say that the competitive nature amoung german cars makes the series what it is...if not we'd just be ST and SU minus japanese and american...why stop there.

• 1 month later...

i am unsure of letting all euros in the class. however there has been a rapid loss of drivers in gts to spec e30 and 944 classes...leaving the midwest gts field short...esp gts1 and 2

i would love to go against any car in my class just to have more competition however it would have to be called the ets...euro touring series

• 2 weeks later...

I have only run one GTS race so far so take my vote for what it is.... and GTS is weaker here on the West Coast but...

The rule set is by far one of the stronger ones in NASA so (The torque averaging rule is the only serious error and seriously affects those torquey BMW I6s.)

MY VOTE is YES!!!!!

Joe Craven

NorCal PT Director

Ok, to further the discussion I'd like clarification on a few things.

1) Define a German car

2) Define a European car

Given the broad intertwined ownership of the auto industry today there are very few clear lines in this area.

Is Chrysler a German car? Maybe only cars produced under Daimier's ownership?

Volvo?

Saab?

Opel?

Truimph?

Lotus?

Peugeot?

Is it the Corporate Ownership that determines origin or the assembly plant location? Either way it gets more confusing.

The bottom line is we want to attract more cars to GTS without dramatically changing the intent of the class. Opening up the rules to accomodate some of these makes will help a little, but the biggest boost would come from the poaching of cars from PCA, POC, SCCA & BMWCCA.

To answer the original question I think it should be opend up to include other "traditional" European cars. Perhaps Bryan Cohn will bring his Peugeot out.

• 5 months later...

There will be no expansion of GTS to other Euro makes. When I started this thread, I also joined several car club forums including Ferrari, Volvo, Lotus and Fiat. After multiple posts and inquiry emails sent to group leaderships, there has been very little interest. Certainly not enough interest to make the additional work and risk to upsetting a level playing field worth while.

Wir bleiben unverändert!

Mark