Congrats to JME

pederb

Thank you Peder, NASA and everyone that helped us with our testing earlier this season. We are excited about it and honored about the SEMA award. We will have a unit on display in our pit at the races this weekend at Buttonwillow for anyone interested in seeing it in person and getting more info.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

JME1

• Members

We had the privelege of hosting their shop at out shop while the fires were raging down here in Dan Diego. This gave a few of us an up close and personal look at the car and their suspension design. Great stuff and credit to you and your team for the long hours at our place and still (but barely) getting to SEMA on time.

I still never did see the BOSS 0770 car completed! Post up pics from SEMA!

Great job guys!!

In regards to gr42ai. By the rules this firewall is legal by the rules 7.3.

This firewall has not been relocated it has been skined to eliminate the swisscheese that was once open to the inside of the car.

Terry

I also saw the car at SEMA and it is a beautiful car. I also see multiple things that concern me wouldn't be legal for AI/X. I think that the people who are bringing up specifics are only doing so to help JME. We want the car to run and be legal without having to modify the car after it's already built. Many cars have been built for AI and have been turned away because they weren't built to the letter of the rules. Better to listen and verify now than to have to rebuild. I hope to see it out soon.

In regards to gr42ai. By the rules this firewall is legal by the rules 7.3.

This firewall has not been relocated it has been skined to eliminate the swisscheese that was once open to the inside of the car.

Terry

Is that legal? I understand why you did it but I don't see "reskinning" as legal mods as listed in 7.3 Sect A-I.

JME

The Stang looks great .

Thanks for spending time with me at Buttonwillow telling me about your new stuff , got me jazzed about the 66 agian .

Regarding the AIX rules , I would like to see the rules opened up a bit

allowing more engine setback like 5'' or whatever from block face and notching the firewall . Ditching the shock towers on the 65 to 73 cars for exaust work .

Is this for Vintage Mustangs only?

No. It is available for 1964-1/2 thru 1970 and 1979 thru 2004 Mustangs. We hope to have the 2005 thru 2008 done early in 2008.

Regarding the AIX rules , I would like to see the rules opened up a bit

allowing more engine setback like 5'' or whatever from block face and notching the firewall . Ditching the shock towers on the 65 to 73 cars for exaust work .

It sounds like Super Unlimited (SU) would be a perfect place to run a car like that.

Is that legal? I understand why you did it but I don't see "reskinning" as legal mods as listed in 7.3 Sect A-I.

I believe what he means is that he put a plate on top of the firewall instead of making a bunch of little patch panels. Hopefully JME can clarify more.

I believe what he means is that he put a plate on top of the firewall instead of making a bunch of little patch panels. Hopefully JME can clarify more.

Thank you to everyone for your interest and your comments.

This is basically what we did. The car that we started with was a 1970 Sports Roof Mustang that had a considerable amount of rust but the floor pan, frame rails, rockers, roof and front fenders were in surprisingly good shape making it a good candidate for an AIX car.

The quarters, rear body panel, doors, hood, deck lid, hinge pillars, cowl, and firewall had some pretty bad rust and we repaired what was feasible and replaced everything that was possible based on parts availability and cost practicality. The firewall we could not but we did follow the rules in that it has not been relocated just re-skinned. A 1969-1970 specific replacement is not available just a 1967-68 which requires a considerable amount of work just to make it fit "half a--". As those that have seen the car, we are not half a--ing anything.

The goal here is to make use of what we have available without cutting up another car that is hard to find due the it's age and make it work while keeping the costs to a minimum. When viewed from the inside of the car you can still see a 1"-1.5" flange all the way around the perimeter that is the original firewall so it is easy to see that it has not been relocated which I believe is the intent of the rule.

Thanks again!

JME1

After seeing the car I was under the impression that everything behind the panel was cut away.

After seeing the car I was under the impression that everything behind the panel was cut away.

Everything except the 1"1-1/2" flange which is the mounting point for the replacement panel. This flange still has the original pinch welds from the factory.

You guys have to realize that building a car like this is not like starting with a brand new body in white that has zero rust and defects and all of the parts are just a call away from your local Ford dealer, it's a 37 year old car. In cases like this one is sometimes left without a reasonable alternative so you have to make due with what you have and keep the intent of the rules as your guidelines.

Just for clarification, the only part of this car that is from a late model is the front bumper cover. Everything else is 1970 except the wide body mods and aero mods of course. We did this for several reasons and wow factor is one of them but functionality was the determining factor. We will be making composite replacement panels for the complete body kit for our own replacement needs and make them available to anyone else that want them. It is a lot easier and lighter to use the modern nose than to go with the vintage one. Production will be a lot easier too.

How did this thread go from a congratulations on a job well done to a bitch fest about rules in AIX? They actually went to SEMA with NASA stickers on there car (they did not have to) and helped promote a series that has next to nobody running in it! SEMA is a huge show that is usually full of 24 inch chrome wheels and mufflers with neon tips and JME grabbed a TON of attention for NASA. What are the JWL thoughts on that one?

How did this thread go from a congratulations on a job well done to a bitch fest about rules in AIX? They actually went to SEMA with NASA stickers on there car (they did not have to) and helped promote a series that has next to nobody running in it! SEMA is a huge show that is usually full of 24 inch chrome wheels and mufflers with neon tips and JME grabbed a TON of attention for NASA. What are the JWL thoughts on that one?

The thread went that way because pictures of JME's car were posted. Promoting NASA is a great thing, as is promoting AIX, but don't promote a series with an illegal car. Wasn't there already a TV series that said they were going to build an AI car then cut the floor out? Huh?

Cutting out a steel firewall and replacing it with an aluminum panel is not allowed in Rule 7.3. Leaving the steel firewall in the car and covering it with an AL panel would be legal, but not replacement.

Cutting out a steel firewall and replacing it with an aluminum panel is not allowed in Rule 7.3. Leaving the steel firewall in the car and covering it with an AL panel would be legal, but not replacement.

Once again BITCH FEST!!!!!! The car has NOT been presented for tech to NASA so JME can do any and ALL modifications on the car they want to it until that day! Congrats to JME for a job well done (better than some on this thread) I hope you get the car done as per the rules and have a great 08 season.

The car has NOT been presented for tech to NASA so JME can do any and ALL modifications on the car they want to it until that day!

Good point. Until it has a log book and has passed tech, it's not an AIX car, it's just a show car. So what's the big deal?