GTS Videos from Nationals

001GTSM3

I know many of us were running video cameras (for incident review if nothing else) but I'm suprised that more in-car footage hasn't been made available. I know there were some good battles out there in all classes - so let's see them guys!

To prime the pump, here are Scott and my videos:

ScottyB

SeanT

-Sean T

#001 GTS3 ///M3

Gret videos. I always wondered what went on up front.

Anyone know if they dyno'd the 305 car? Just wondered since even the commentators were commenting on how he had more car.

I went to the dyno once; Saturday I think. I was suprised that we didn't get called more often considering that GTS3 cars were consistantly near the front. In 2006 I was on the scales and dyno after each session it seemed.

I know my car is not the best prepared GTS3 M3 out there. Neither is Scott's. Randy always has a well prepared motor/chassis combination and he reset the bar of where we need to build/spend to be at the front. And the numbers cetainly show that Randy was quick. He ran better than my "theoritical best lap" as computed by my G2X. It was a very impressive run for Randy and Scott and I overdrove trying to keep up.

-Sean

Anyone know if they dyno'd the 305 car? Just wondered since even the commentators were commenting on how he had more car.

the car was dyno'd at nationals...not sure if it was sent there after a session or not but i do know it spent some time on the dyno there...

the motor was tuned for gts and had a wider usable power band (more area under the curve)...the car met the wt/whp requirement just like everyone elses car but there is a lot more to power than just peak hp and tq numbers

Randy also worked very hard on getting the car/suspension setup dialed in for the track.

Dave,

I'm guessing you are running a S52? If you don't mind sharing, what kind of power is your car putting down? Considering the spanking you gave me at the last CCA race I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get a second mortgage now.

Cheers,

Sean

Dave,

I'm guessing you are running a S52? If you don't mind sharing, what kind of power is your car putting down? Considering the spanking you gave me at the last CCA race I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get a second mortgage now.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

I am running an S52. It has a fresh stock bottom end, sunbelt cams, SS euro headers, and nothing super tricky.

Randy helped me with the motor/tuning and probably does not want specifics disclosed. I will say this though, I am pretty sure it is not as much power as some tend to think.

I will also say that I think most of the speed differential in the last bmw races can be attributed to getting the car setup dialed in for the track/conditions. Everyone seemed to be fighting handling issues (including us) and I think our time spent on setup work really showed on sunday.

-Dave

Everyone seemed to be fighting handling issues (including us) and I think our time spent on setup work really showed on sunday. -Dave

I couldn't believe the difference in handling from the NASA weekend to the Pumpkin races. I had a nasty push (key hole, carosel) all day Sunday which I attribute to the cold and the lack of race rubber. Maybe we can get the DE guys to run DOT-Rs so they condition the track rather than scrub it off.

I have some video from the enduro but only about 40 minutes of it as my battery died. You looked smooth from the little time that I was able to stay with you.

-Sean

I couldn't believe the difference in handling from the NASA weekend to the Pumpkin races. I had a nasty push (key hole, carosel) all day Sunday

exactly! i honestly thought something was broken on my car it was handling so bad on friday morning...it was just awful! The setup we ended up with was completely different than what i ended up with the last time i was there (june)...

Huge thanks to Randy for all the setup work and for keeping my head in the game (i was really stressed out about how bad the car was handling).

I have some video from the enduro but only about 40 minutes of it as my battery died. You looked smooth from the little time that I was able to stay with you.

thanks!

did you get my email from yesterday? i included a link to my video from the enduro...

Nice battle with the 64 car. Were you running that close throughout the weend?

We finished 1-2 in the championship race and both Q races. The Q races weren't quite as close as the championship race. On Sunday he got me at the start and opened up a nice gap. The video starts at the point where I start to reduce the gap. What you can't see in the video is Carl Picelle attached to my rear bumper the entire time. The three of us finished Sunday's race 1-2-3 separated by only 1.4 seconds.

• 2 months later...

That was a great race to watch...Videos are great , thanks for posting them...Unfortunatly we did not make the championship race we had an ignition coil go bad right before the race everybody was down on grid and we were out of luck, hopefully things will go better for us this year!!!!!!!

Every time my ulcer starts to die down that video pops up again John.

I keep meaning to write a nasty-gram to the weather service that said it would be 55 that day, finalizing my decision to run soft tires... ...and it was 80. I had my hands so full with the E46 I hardly saw you coming untill it was too late.

I went to the dyno once; Saturday I think. I was suprised that we didn't get called more often considering that GTS3 cars were consistantly near the front. In 2006 I was on the scales and dyno after each session it seemed.

-Sean

I am hoping you are not saying that you preferred 2006 when you were on the dyno that much.

I am also of those GTS3 cars that is way behind those guys but I am very glad we were not over dynoed. I know my E46 hates to be dynoed (the computer goes crazy and she gets very unhappy with me) and I know we are still that far behind those guys for many reasons (lack of time with the car, lack of experience at M-O, and less hp at lower rpm, ext., ext) and not because anyone is outside of the rules.

I am not saying that the dyno should be put away either, but conservative use and liberal threat I think is the best use of the dyno, and I am absolutely against the same cars being dynoed multiples times on the same weekend.

Weigh the car as mush as you like if you want, they don't mind (the cars) and so neither do I.

-Sean

I am hoping you are not saying that you preferred 2006 when you were on the dyno that much.

I am also of those GTS3 cars that is way behind those guys but I am very glad we were not over dynoed. I know my E46 hates to be dynoed (the computer goes crazy and she gets very unhappy with me) and I know we are still that far behind those guys for many reasons (lack of time with the car, lack of experience at M-O, and less hp at lower rpm, ext., ext) and not because anyone is outside of the rules.

I am not saying that the dyno should be put away either, but conservative use and liberal threat I think is the best use of the dyno, and I am absolutely against the same cars being dynoed multiples times on the same weekend.

Weigh the car as mush as you like if you want, they don't mind (the cars) and so neither do I.

You would expect the top two cars in each class in the National Championship Race to be dyno'd and check for compliance after the race. Especially in a WT/HP based series. Things change from Fri. to Sun and it would definetly eliminate any thought of inpropriety.

Damien

Edited by Guest

As terrifying as it is to see your car up close on the dyno, is there a higher risk for the car running on it full bore vs. on the track?

It sure LOOKS scary, but IS IT?