CCR Clarification Please

jimgood

I'm going for my comp license in Feb and I've been studying the CCR.

The passing rules appear straightforward enough but Appendix A got me a little confused. I'm not sure I can concisely explain my confusion but I'll do my best...so, please turn to page 128 in your hymnal...er...CCR...

Figures 1 - 7 are fine. I get it.

Figure 8 says that, even though Car B has a right to the line, he is at fault for the collision because a "driver that is attempting to make a pass has the responsibility to complete that pass safely". Okay. No problem.

Say that with me, "A driver that is attempting to make a pass has the responsibility to complete that pass safely".

Skip to Figure 10. Looks to me like fault should be on Car A because he repasses Car B, knows he's there and cuts across his nose anyway. But that's not the case. Why wouldn't the same reasoning be applied as in Figure 8?

Now, part of the problem may be the rudimentary nature of the diagrams. But to me it looks like, in both cases, one car altered its line to cut across the path of the other car, at which point a collision occured. In both cases, the car altering its line has a right to the line. So 'splain me why in one situation this car is exempted from having "the responsibility to complete that pass safely" (fig. 10) whereas, in the other, he is not exempted and is at fault for the collision (fig. 8 ). Is there some sublety I'm missing?

I appreciate any enlightenment.

Jim

First off I applaud you taking the licensing seriously and studying months in advance.

Here's my two cents on the question:

In the wording for figure 8 they say:

There are two different rules that govern this situation, and it is up to the Race Director to make a determination. The first rule states that Car B has a right to choose any line because Car A no longer has a wheel next to the driver of Car B. Therefore, Car A must relinquish the lead. However, there is another rule that says that the driver that is attempting to make a pass has the responsibility to complete that pass safely. In this case the overriding rule would be the latter. That is why Car B would be at fault. Car B failed to complete a safe pass.

In other words, Car B needed to go to the right in order to make the turn after the pass. However, in doing so, they had to run into Car A. The resulting contact violates the rule that the passing car has to complete the pass safely. It's not an uncommon incident and I'm glad they show this example. Having the right of way, doesn't give you the green light to make contact. In Figure 8, Car B should've stayed left, hit the brakes harder, settled the car, and hoped it held going around the corner. The same way with Figure 10 except staying right. Car A only has to leave 3/4 width of a car on the inside which they do. This is similar to Figure 2.

Everyone wants to go home with an undamaged car. You can not only damage another person's car, but you can put yourself out of the race as well. A damaged fender can cut a tire. That'll ruin your day in a hurry. You could be on your back pounding a fender back out when a race official comes by to tell you you're now on probation.

This also shows how placing the blame after car to car contact is so difficult. Avoid it at all costs. Even though you have the 'right of way' you could end up getting the short end of the stick. The race officials can only see so much.

First off I applaud you taking the licensing seriously and studying months in advance.

... The race officials can only see so much.

Agreed. Hats off.

The second statement above is why it is so important to run video.

I think that in the figure 10 example, the overtaken car (B) new that carA was there, but at the same time carA should see that carB was slowly coming across track. It looks like carA is taking the nose off. I can see the confusion and I agree with it.

Bottom line is that if this incident was to really happen it will be the determination of the race officials.

Dont hit anyone and you'll be fine. I have seen drivers have to go back to comp school again after having contact while still in provisional status. They were lucky they werent just given the rest of the season off to think about it.

If you're talking about the Figure 10 in version 2007.23, it looks very clear to me:

Figure 10

This is a similar situation to Figure 9, however Car A regains the lead and control of the line after point 6. Car B makes contact with the side-of-the-nose of his/her car to the side-of-the-tail of Car A, thus spinning Car A. This is clearly illegal contact as described by under section 25 On Course Conduct of the CCR. Therefore fault is assigned to Car B.

The way I interpreted it is that Car A doesn't "come across the nose" of Car B, Car A has control of the line and is tracking out - though maybe not completely so as to "pinch off" Car B's exit, forcing him to lift and fall back . Instead, Car B tracks out into Car A, nose to rear quarter, and spins Car A. Car A has clearly given Car B room (since he knows he is back there, even if he can't see him now in a blind spot). I think the confusion may be the way it's drawn. Car A is shown turned to the inside, which I interpret to be because of the contact. Note that the final point drawn on most of the other figures is post-contact.

Of course since Car A has control of the line at that point he's entitled to move back to the right (perhaps to set up for the next turn) and Car B must move over and/or back off if necessary to avoid contact. If that is what the final point drawn is intended to show, then my favorite passing rule also applies - the comment at the end of the Figure 7 example:

Remember that, even though you have the “right of wayâ€

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Yes. I take this very seriously. This is a sport in which people die or get seriously injured when there's confusion or indecision. I aim to be as clear as possible.

That said, Appendix A and much of the section for Rules for Overtaking are more about the penalties than the actual rules for overtaking. I prefer to keep the two separated because one is about one's conduct on the track and the other is about the aftermath of that conduct.

I hope there aren't many drivers that hit the track and think, "If I execute this maneuver and there's contact, will it be my fault?" or "Wonder if I can punt this guy and get away with it?". At least, not at this level of racing where the prize is a trophy and a picture with the hootchy girls.

I summarize the Overtaking Rules this way:

- Do what I must to ensure that my car occupies only its own space.

- If a driver gets his wheel along side me, he is overtaking me. I'll leave him at least 3/4 car width racing room (at least 1 car width if there's a K-wall) and I'll yield the line.

- If I get my wheel along side another driver I should execute the pass safely or don't execute it at all.

- Assume that no one will move out of my way just because I have a right to the line.

I like to focus on what I need to do NOT on what I shouldn't do. Am I missing anything?

• 1 month later...

I have another question:

19.4.2 Safety Car (with lights on)

At most events a Safety Car is used for a wide variety of reasons. It is used to bring extra emergency personnel to a scene when needed. It could be the Medical Director, or another Official. Regardless of its intended mission the Safety Car, when driven on course with its lights on, shall be treated like every other safety vehicle. That is to say the drivers should expect to be alerted to its presence with the proper flags, and they're free to pass it with care. A Safety Car with its lights off may be treated like any other car.

What does this last statement mean? We can pass the Safety Car with the same gusto we'd pass another racer? Use it as a rolling pick? Yikes! Just doesn't seem prudent.

NASA-MA does not use a safety car. Help is brought to the scene in tow trucks and ambulances. If the safety crew feels that they are placed in danger by the antics of the racers, they report it and conferences are held with the drivers.