HPDE, lots of questions!

gokimigo

Most tracks have fuel available ontrack, ....

Actually NONE of them do. You may find fuel for sale in the paddock how ever.

If you are budget minded and can travel with fuel jugs.....bring 2 5 gal jugs to the track. Fill them up in town just outside the track. Go off site again to refill them for day 2.

If the jugs are a problem, then plan drive off site to refill. The caveat is that not all tracks have fuel stations close by so you might just consider increasing your fuel budget if carrying additional fuel is not an option.

Edited by Guest

Not only does bringing your own fuel save you money as Renntag just mentioned, it also eliminates the worry of pumps being closed when you need it. I've seen many people plan on getting fuel, but forgot the pumps closed at X p.m.

Dang Aaron that instantaneous 200ms passing setup poses a tough snap decision. If that was to happen, I can only think of turn 2 to 3 at Cal Speedway and I'm throwing my hand out with palm extended and tapping the brake lights to warn the fast closing car of the debris/fluid danger and wondering how that beast closed in on me so fast without me anticipating it! heh heh

Yeah a Ferrari or a Vette or a ragged F-body with 5X the HP facilitating a 30 MPH (~ 50 fps) closing speed goes from a little spot on the mirror to a total eclipse in ~ 3 seconds.

You being da man probably haven't been on the receiving end of that kind of thing very freqently!

Ain't it better to give than to receive!

Happy New Year and see you at the banquet.

the running out of gas provision is in the CCR. I am sure that penalties are more related to how often you do it and your attitude about having done it. You can put event personnel in jeopardy if they have to tow you quickly to keep the session running. It is also an indicator of whether your head is in the game.

6.5 Running Out of Gas

Any driver that runs out of gas on the track will be excluded for the remainder of the day.

Please fill up before the session starts.

cheers,

bruce

I'm pretty sure, at least for NASA Rocky Mountain, that if you run out of gas on the track, you are done for that day, and possibly for the weekend.
That's strange. I know several people who have run out of fuel on the track (race and DE) and none have been penalized.

Most tracks have fuel available ontrack, ....

Actually NONE of them do

VIR

Barber

CMP has a gas station right outside the gate

Roebling has one within a mile of the gate

etc

sounds like "most" to me

granted "track gas" is ususally 25-50% more expensive

Can we fuel-up at the race track?? Also I wanted to know where we would park our cars at the race track if we're driving those for the day..

And where are the tech inspection places?? These are all the things that seem the most confusing of a whole HPDE day.. I can understand registering & all but just getting inspected, where to park, where to get gas (if at the race track), etc..

gokimigo,

Here is the "tech inspection places" for NorCal:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/events/hpdetechstations.htm

The HPDE tech forms are here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/form_hpde_tech.pdf

Suggest to get the tech inspection done prior to the track day.

Which event are you planning to register for?

Grumpy, I thought that was obvious. Nice write-up in Grassroots by the way, "20 things that rocked their world in 2007" pg.82 .

Later guys, gotta wrench for the opener next month

PS Oh yea I really meant "at the track . . ."

Grumpy, I thought that was obvious. Nice write-up in Grassroots by the way, "20 things that rocked their world in 2007" pg.82 .

Thank you.

I was going to go to the Infineon HPDE in early Feb. But I can't get all the funding yet. So I'm probably going to have to hold off till later in the year at Infineon & Laguna Seca.

You can do a "Hyperdrive" at Infineon.

HYPERDRIVES:

NASA Hyperdrive is a way for a non-members to experience HPDE 1 (with an instructor), without having to commit to an entire event. Hyperdrives are one 20-minutes session, on track, at speed, with an instructor riding in the passenger seat.

Cost is only $49.

Oh cool.

But if I am a member of NASA, can I still do hyperdrives? Also, where do I sign up for the hyperdrives?

One more thing, would they let you pass HPDE 1 if all you do is one 20mins session (say you're really good.. though I'm not & I won't know how long it takes for me to pass HPDE 1, & I'm not saying I will first time around either, I am Just Wondering)?

On the schedule it says this :

07:30AM

SHARP!

MANDATORY HPDE/ Open Track DRIVER'S MEETING IN THE DRIVER'S LOUNGE.

FAILURE TO ATTEND WILL RESULT IN LOSS OF TRACK TIME.

If I am driving the Hyperdrive ONLY, would I need to attend this meeting? Or can I just get to the track anytime after the 7:30am Meeting but before the 12pm Hyperdrive Meeting? Also, do I need to get my car inspected for the Hyperdrive? And get it done a day before the event? Thanks.

Oh yea, 3 more questions.. which gate do I drive through when I get there & what do I bring to show that I'm participating there? Where do I park (race car lot, regular parking lot)? And could I just use normal brake pads or should I get high performance pads? I probably have lots more to ask, so stay tuned!

Here's the Participant Information Page:

You can see the Hyperdrive info.

http://www.nasanorcal.com/eventinfo2008/feb/index.htm

Allot more information can be found at the Norcal web page:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/

Brake pads: In my opinion, you don't have to have "High Performance" pads for one 20 minute track session.

Also, please study the flags in section in section 7 of the CCR here http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Oh cool.

But if I am a member of NASA, can I still do hyperdrives? Also, where do I sign up for the hyperdrives?

One more thing, would they let you pass HPDE 1 if all you do is one 20mins session (say you're really good.. though I'm not & I won't know how long it takes for me to pass HPDE 1, & I'm not saying I will first time around either, I am Just Wondering)?

I'm just a beginner so take the following accordingly.

The Hyperdrive is just a quick intro that includes some initial class instruction and to get out on the track and get a taste of the fun. Your instructor may even ask you to keep it below a given speed if this is your first time on the track. If they offer lapping time at lunch, take it to help get familiar with the track. Doing low speed no braking laps in 3rd gear is a good way to get an initial feel for the line.

A HPDE weekend includes 6-8 track times and at least 4 classroom sessions over two days. If you have no track experience, plan on at least 2-3 weekends before even thinking about moving out of HPDE 1. There is so much to learn and each instructor you brings something new. Beginners who want to rush to progress through HPDE 1 can be an instructors worst nightmare. Also invest time on the skid pad when ever possible. Buy "Speed Secrets" by Ross Bently and read it at least three time.

For the HyperDrive, be careful, pay attention to the instructor in the classroom and car, have fun and be prepared to become addicted.

I have actually done a High Speed day of driving through a police sanctioned organization. We had cones to run like slaloms, making quick right or left turns when the signal light turned green on whichever side, had to learn how to back up through cones, a quick & fast right hand turn while looking far ahead, & the skidpad at the end which I learned very well.. started "drifting" like the best Jap drivers. Anyways, that's one thing I've done along with many indoor and outdoor karting track days with shifter karts & sprint karts, along with a track day at Altamont raceway in a Nascar Truck. And I'm still very young, ready to race!

I just had those questions about Hyperdrive.. do I have to attend the first meeting at 7:30am for HPDE drivers? Or can I just attend the Hyperdrive meeting that's held in the afternoon? Also the other questions I earlier posted on page 4 at the very end.