2008 PT/TT Classing Rules Published

Greg G.

Hey Guys,,,

Does anyone have an Excel spreadsheet built with these point values in it?

Every time I try to class my car in TT it makes my head want to explode.

So many numbers, too many variables.

If there were more class options I'd just do the HP / Weight classing as that takes alot of guesswork out of it, but its just too wide of a gap in TT.

Trying to class a DM / GTS 3 BMW E30 M3

Cheers

jimmy p

Ouch! +7 is heavy-handed for two items that accomplish the same thing. A wastegate can increase boost by itself, but I also know some cars come with terrible stock wastegates that need to be replaced in order to hold boost steady with no increase in peak power.

I would propose that there should be no points for 19 if you're taking points for 18. That's much fairer. There's no reason or performance gain to run both unless the stock wastegate is junk.

+7 is worthy, and it makes sense for reasons you said yourself. A boost controller won't necessarily increase the boost to whatever setting you desire, especially if the stock wastegate is "weak", which in a sense limits HP. More often than not, an aftermarket wastegate/actuator will allow more boost, thus increasing power.. it should take points.

Those two items together could gain 100hp on some car.. easily worth a +7. I'm taking +5 for a full exhaust on my car, which probably adds 15hp.

• 4 weeks later...
  • National Staff
What is the base class for a 1969 Camaro?

It is PTE** for the Z-28:

The 1969 Chevrolet Z28 Camaro remains one of Americas most desirable Muscle Cars of all. With just $458 to the base price of $2,726 of a Camaro coupe, the Z28 included twin rally stripes, quicker steering and the F41 handling suspension with E70x15 raised-letter tires on seven-inch wide rims.

With a solid-lifter 302 V-8 and four-barrel carburetor the ’69 Z28 wasn’t the fastest but definitely packed plenty of power for most performance seekers. Another option unique to the ‘69 Z28 was the cowl-induction hood with a valve that opened to draw in cool air from the base of the windshield. The Hurst-shifted close-ratio four-speed was standard.

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Specifications included; 3765 lb. Weight, priced at $5207.00, 290hp; and 0-60 mph in 7.4 seconds.

If it has one of the optional engines, send me an e-mail, and we will probably just class it based on actual Dynojet hp, and minimum competition weight.

969 Chevrolet Camaro

1969 was a great year with many changes and additions for the 69' Camaro. Among several of the body changes included a new deeper set grill, new tail lamps, new fenders, door skins, and rear quarter-panels. Inside, the Camaro received a redesigned dash and more comfortable seats. Endura rubber bumpers were available on the Camaro as well as two ram air induction systems for the SS. Performance seekers where offered an abundance of choices from the low end new 307 V8 rated at 200hp to a new 350 V8 rated at 255 hp and even a new Yenko 427!

PRODUCTION NUMBERS 1969 CAMARO

* 37,773 RS Camaro's Produced

* 33,980 SS Camaro's Produced

* 19,014 Z-28 Camaro's Produced

ENGINE OPTIONS

* 250 I6 155hp

* Z28: 302 V8 290hp

* 307 V8 200hp

* 327 V8 210hp.

* 327 V8 275hp.

* 350 LM1 V8 255hp.

* (SS350) 350 V8 300hp

* (SS396) 396 V8 325hp

* (SS396) 396 V8 350hp

* (SS396) 396 V8 375hp

* (COPO 9561) 427 V8 425hp

* (COPO 9560) 427 V8 430hp

Could you consider making the base class for 1969 Camaro TTF along with the 71-73 Mustang due to the weight difference between the '69 Mustang and '69 Camaro? My Camaro is not a Z28, it started out as a basic coupe w/ 350 c.i.d. and an automatic transmission.

• National Staff
what comes first, base class or engine swap. Since there is no base class for a 1969 Camaro dont you think we should start there?

We don't need to. We now only take the time and resources to class cars (especially 40 year old cars) that will be competing with us. Since your car requires classing by Dynojet dyno testing anyway, there is no reason to pursue researching/classing a car that we likely will never see on the track (My guess is that if anyone else brings out a '69 Camaro, it will also not have the original motor, unless it was one of the higher hp options).

Greg's reply:

We don't need to. We now only take the time and resources to class cars (especially 40 year old cars) that will be competing with us. Since your car requires classing by Dynojet dyno testing anyway, there is no reason to pursue researching/classing a car that we likely will never see on the track (My guess is that if anyone else brings out a '69 Camaro, it will also not have the original motor, unless it was one of the higher hp options).

I will be competing which is why I am asking for your direction. There is no way that a basic '69 Camaro could compete with a '97 Camaro Z28 (base class TTE**) both straight off the show room floor. Based on your E-mail my car weighs 3700 lbs and puts out 255 h.p.. All I am asking is to be base classed as TTF along with the '71-'73 Mustangs <286 h.p., 3560 lbs

• National Staff

Engine swap: All engine swaps must be evaluated for new base classification by

the National PT Director on an individual basis, unless a base class for

the particular swap is listed above in 5.2.2 Base Classifications or in Appendix B. The

following factors will be taken into account in classing the car: wt./hp ratio, total weight,

high torque in the usable rpm range, body style, engine location, drivetrain type, advanced

technology/engineering in OEM suspension, brakes, drivetrain, and aerodynamics, and dry

sumps (if engine is lowered). Competitors should submit all of the above data to the

National PT Director with the request for re-classification of the vehicle. Most engine

swaps will require chassis dynamometer testing of the competition-ready vehicle and

submittal of the minimum competition weight chosen by the competitor.

You need to E-mail me your maximum hp and torque numbers, based on dyno testing with a Dynojet model dynamometer, along with your minimum competition weight (with driver), and then your car will be assigned a new base class. Also let me know what region you plan on competing in, so I can cc your regional TT Director. Thanks.

when will we have the final revisions for the TT-specific stuff, as well as any updated forms for the 2008 season?

thanks!!

- Ken, who is <5 days out from his region's season opener