Road Atlanta - August - Early Models

HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

American Iron (AI), American Iron Extreme (AIX), and perhaps American Iron Historic (AIH).

Last season my '65 Mustang finished fourth in points (NASA-VA Region AIX) and was the top ranking early model in the entire country. I believe if we can gather 8 to 10 early models for the August NASA event at Road Atlanta we can have our own class - American Iron Historic (AIH). Having done this for a couple of years, we simply use the AIX rules (no spec tire), but limit the entries to pre '72 models with no tube frames.

How many of you have early models and does this make sense? Our own class with our own trophy and our own kiss from the trophy girl! You can even "paddock" with me and we will claim our own "turf" at Road Atlanta.

What a great place and believe me the early models "fly" around this track and will actually out perform some of the AIX cars.

Put up your thoughts.

Henry

http://www.historicmustang.com

I would not be able to get qualified in time this year, but my goal for next season is to run my 67 fastback as you describe, at some point. Of course, that depends on quite a few variables.

Overall, I think its a great idea, anything to increase the number of vintage cars on the track is a fine suggestion!

HistoricMustang

Frank, yes me and the race rod are "still" retired.

However, if enough of the early guys show up I will give them a few "pointers" on how to take on those late models that are so easy to drive.

Seriously, there are a lot of early models in this area that run the "American Muscle Car Challenge Series" with Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) and I know for a fact they are DAMN fast.

Having raced with both groups I would not miss this show if we can get enough of them interested in the August date. I see no reason why Jim would not let them compete using the AIX rules, but have their own class.

Tim, Doc, John S., Craig, Gary, Brian, John C., Curt, Jerry and the rest, are you reading this?

Henry

• Members

Sounds good to me...

Of course I just happen to be building a '68 coupe

But I think you should change the cutoff to 1980 or earlier to get some of the musclecars of the '70s...

• Members
There were musclecars made after 1972???

I wuz ridin around in a '75 last weekend that had a leetle muscle...

HistoricMustang

Bobbie can do with me whatever she wants!

Hate to do it, but back to the topic at hand. Those '70's type cars will be OK for a AIX-Historic group. I think the general rule is that the car be at least 25 years old and made after 1960.

Vintage is before 1960.

I also think the "Tiger" and the Corvair should be included. Hell I had a Corvair pass me at VIR last year and my buddies were laughing their butts off until I got back around him. They can be very fast!

Henry

Frank Corkran
I think the general rule is that the car be at least 25 years old and made after 1960.

Henry

That means a '79 Mustang would be eligible? In a couple more years having an historic group won't do you much good, you'll still be getting left by Fox Mustangs

HistoricMustang

Asked the guys that raced with Andy Killian's '65 rocket ship last year. And I have seen numerous that are faster than his.

Trust me, an early model set up properly will hold its own against a '79.

Henry

Frank Corkran
Maybe we should call it AIV - American Iron Vintage - and limit it to pre '79...

Too bad the Mustang II's are below the wheelbase limit...otherwise everyone would be punted off the track by those crazy GTPinto drivers at Summit Point.

HistoricMustang

Here is my 2 cents.

Any race car should be allowed on the track if all rules are met except wheelbase - you simply make an exception and let them race so others of the same type will show up and compete. When they get 5 or 6 on a regular basis form another class. This is how you will build the series which will help ALL concerned. In fact that is what we are talking about with the Historic/Vintage group. Getting them to show up so it helps everyone.

Besides, I ain't seen no checks for winning being handed out.

Have some fun and it is a lot more fun with 35 or 40 cars racing rather than 15 or 20.

For you newcomers, the real fun is off the track after the racing is done! It is a social thing.

Henry

• 2 weeks later...
HistoricMustang

Jim, remember this special night at Lowes under the lights. An early model surrounded by all the later versions and even a Cobra. I see the Clown car in the background but it did not stay there long.

Henry

IMG_187.jpg

Ive never seen a 302 bored more than a 355, and thats on the ragged edge (like a .080 overbore or something). HTH do they get 374 cubes outta that block? I assume its a A4 block....can it take that kind of overbore?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, it's a mid-height block -

I saw all the pieces I need to build one last weekend at the Penske racing auction, a pair of yates heads sold for $125 and a M-6010-R452 block new inthe box sold for $1300 !!!

HistoricMustang

Frank, the neat thing about an early model (espcially one that Jim will build) is that he will have to add weight!

Heck, mine is in at 2650 lbs with a full interior.

Henry

• Members

True! I could run a 4 or 6cyl and get 275 rwhp! I might have to reconsider my engine plans! AI or AIX? hmmmm