what are fast TTF lap times at CMP

austincrx

I'm new to the time trial thing. I do mostly SCCA Club Racing, but never done any NASA stuff. I did a Turn 1 event at CMP a while ago and turned consistent 2:05's on Kumho Ecsta 711 street tires (300 UTQC rating) in my CRX, until I cracked a brake caliper (not fun).

What are good lap times for TTF around CMP. my car isn't set up for racing, I do have tokico's and GroundControl springs, as well as other mods (mostly suspension, I/H/E for power)

Thanks!

I heard a MINI Cooper S in TTF trim at CMP broke 2:00 right before the front brakes melted off the car.

not during any official event, or it would be updated on the official track records page

I was there with Turn One and the Mini S - it may have done that - but I am pretty sure it did not. Really nice guy who plans to run with NASA-SE this season by the way. A Mini S is base classed TTF?

But unless it is a NASA event on their timing loop it does not count....

yeah, looks like non SC'd new ones are F or G** base class... and that of course assumes the car in question added up the points correctly for everything, etc, etc

but if so, it'll be good to have a "rabbit", as it was good for about ~2 seconds for me at Mid-O

A Mini S starts in TTE base class - so you can run them in an upclass role...

you mean downgrade, lets say they get enough points back with width credit to drop down?

at any rate, bring on the rabbit!

I thought you run TTE at times?

the car is prepared for TTF, but when/if I slap on 225 width Hoosiers instead of Toyos the points bump me over into TTE

I thought you run TTE at times?

the car is prepared for TTF, but when/if I slap on 225 width Hoosiers instead of Toyos the points bump me over into TTE

Same thing happens with me if I put on 315 tires instead of 295s - I bump to TTS....

yeah, i'm really looking forward to doing some time trials in my street car. I want to get a roll bar and some race tires, as well as other safety equipment.

I do have another question for anyone who has an answer. I have an SCCA regional competition license, but I'm not sure what I need to do to get a time trial license for NASA. Can someone help me out please

Thanks

bring your SCCA License with associated logbooks and whatnot

assuming the same license would let you get a NASA comp license with paperwork, you'll be ok to apply for TT since its lower

Austin,

to let you know a TTF Legal car has run in the 1:56 range.. of course not at a NASA event.

I have run the Neon which is TTF in the 2:01 range, but that's on an SCCA AMB and not NASA, so it don't count.

Of course, the Spec V should run a 1:58 or so around there.. maybe a bit faster. Hopefully I won't have to bring that out in February.

Jon K

btw: we'll be on the "new" configuration anyway...

This new configuration?

clip_image003.jpg

New turn 12 with the existing track to your right

clip_image001.jpg

The new configuration will cross over the existing track just before the original turn 13

clip_image002.jpg

Turn 14 Revision

btw: we'll be on the "new" configuration anyway...

This new configuration?

clip_image003.jpg

New turn 12 with the existing track to your right

clip_image001.jpg

The new configuration will cross over the existing track just before the original turn 13

clip_image002.jpg

Turn 14 Revision

Nice - fix those brakes yet?

yeah, but the new configuration doesn't satisfy my car's abilities well......little power, little tires, and light weight.......speed is not an option

and John, i'd like to see some friendly faces at the event in february at CMP. I've never run with NASA, but i'm looking forward to it. No replacement for track time!!!

yeah, but the new configuration doesn't satisfy my car's abilities well......little power, little tires, and light weight.......speed is not an option

what do you think the rest of TTF is?

(119whp, 2700lbs, and anywhere from 195s to 225s depending on mood, compound, etc)

oh, and you won't have to worry about me in TTF, the Phantom Grip LSD is a +3 modification and will bump me to TTE...too bad NASA is just a scared of the CRX as SCCA is!!!!

be afraid, be very afraid......of 105hp and 2174 lbs??

and mine is one of the really strong ones, 110-112 is common

you don't have a way to easily remove that P.G.? I'd do it anyway regardless of classing, seen 3 in person where the diff pin breaks because of that crap-pile of a part which shatters the trans case, diff, etc and heard of countless others that suffer the same fate

Actually Austin, the new configuration DOES help you out, much more than the "old" one.

The "old" course turns 11-12-13-14 worked like this:

Turn/Low speed SCCA G-Stock CRX, Low speed in AMS NASA TTU Evo

11 - 54mph, 47mph

12 - 41mph, 38mph

13 - 45mph, 43mph

14 - 47mph, 41mph

The CRX is 1910lbs with me in it, on 225/50/13 tires.. the Evo 2815 with me in it, 295/30/17 Hoosiers. The center-corner speed is not much different, same goes for a Vette, and certainly any other high-hp car with the ability to put the power down well.

The "old" layout gives a high-hp car the chance to accelerate from roughly 40mph four times.. the new one.. only three times, and I suspect with the new configuration that you will be flat from the apex of 11 to the braking zone for turn 14 in a CRX/Spec Miata/etc.. In the GT cars/heavier cars, there may very well still be braking for turn 12, and at a minimum a lot of throttle modulation. (sort of like 5-6-7, where you get to go back to the throttle much earlier in a CRX than you do in a bigger/"faster" car)

Which means it will be a slight advantage back to the lower hp cars.

Jon K