Miata with removable hardtop....

Falcon

• 2 months later...

I've been driving a street Miata at HPDE-type events for more than a dozen years. My 91 Miata has a Hard Dog Hardcore Hardtop rollbar which is designed to work with the Mazda factory hardtop. The hardtop not only makes for a debris shield (track worms for lunch anyone?) but keeps the officals away from me with broomsticks in their hands.

Many Miata drivers will remove a bit (or almost all) of the foam from under their seats to get lower and under a rollbar. The standard Hardcore bar will be just a bit too tall for the Mazda hardtop, but allows for taller drivers with soft tops. I agree that I'd rather have no top raised and a rollbar, or the hardtop (which locks the soft top down) with a rollbar. Always, a rollbar.

It can get gusty at high (Miata) speeds with the top down, however.

I've been using a set of six-point harnesses to keep me and a student strapped in. Many of my students have been using a seatbelt clip intended to lock in a baby seat ($3 vs $30 for the G-lock which doesn't lock the shoulder restraint). This will help you to control the car and not hanging on to the wheel for stability.

The Miata is a great car to drive at the track. Install top-notch safety equipment, fresh brakes, and go out and drive the heck out of it.