02 Z06 class: I'm confused

jason

[What are your plans for '08? What events are you guys planning to run?

Right now I'm aiming for both Atlantas, Barber, and both Putnums. That's about as far as I want to drive since our "tow" vehicle is also our race car. Throw in our usual 2-3 track days at Nashville Superspeedway, and still keeping our feet wet in autocross, it should be a busy summer.

Have you run with NASA-SE before? How far is Putnam from Nashville by the way?

Not yet. Guess I need to get my membership sent in soon, huh? Putnam is only about 5hrs from Nashville, straight shot up I65 through Louisville to Indy. I'm sure my plans are bigger than my budget/ability at this point. Plan on starting out at the bottom in HPDE1 at Atlanta since it's an unfamiliar track and I won't have tracked this particular C5 before. Hope to be in TT by the end of this season, early next at the latest, if everything goes perfectly. Of course, that always happens.

I've been asking most of these questing in TT so I don't waste time and money redoing modifcations I did to my previous car, then find out I'd have to undo them at a later date. I got myself bumped into a higher class in SCCA autocross that way with my last car, and I'm hopeing to avoid doing that again.

Thanks to everybody that has answered questions and pointed me in the right direction. It's helped a ton already. Danny P, I'll be in touch.

• National Staff
how do 04 shocks on an 02 car meet the OEM rule?

The Z06 is listed:

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ('01-'04) TTA* 3118

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ('01-'04) PTA* 3118

So, the update/backdate rule would allow it.

Updating and backdating of parts between different model years of the same vehicle model is legal provided that the competing vehicle is in the same or higher base class than the donor vehicle, and that the entire assembly is replaced. No interchange of parts between assemblies is

permitted in order to create a new assembly. Updating or backdating (without a point’s assessment) with specialty models or between two cars that have model names with different numbers or letters in them is prohibited, unless specifically approved.

Not yet. Guess I need to get my membership sent in soon, huh? Putnam is only about 5hrs from Nashville, straight shot up I65 through Louisville to Indy. I'm sure my plans are bigger than my budget/ability at this point. Plan on starting out at the bottom in HPDE1 at Atlanta since it's an unfamiliar track and I won't have tracked this particular C5 before. Hope to be in TT by the end of this season, early next at the latest, if everything goes perfectly. Of course, that always happens.

I've been asking most of these questing in TT so I don't waste time and money redoing modifcations I did to my previous car, then find out I'd have to undo them at a later date. I got myself bumped into a higher class in SCCA autocross that way with my last car, and I'm hopeing to avoid doing that again.

Thanks to everybody that has answered questions and pointed me in the right direction. It's helped a ton already. Danny P, I'll be in touch.

That is a wise plan - most guys throw mods before they understand the rules -

You need to watch the changes - particularly in tires (they should be stable now) - it has hit the C5/C6 and P car guys pretty hard over the last two years...

That is a wise plan - most guys throw mods before they understand the rules

Thanks.

I never said I was a fast learner, but sooner or later even I start to catch on.

That is a wise plan - most guys throw mods before they understand the rules

Thanks.

I never said I was a fast learner, but sooner or later even I start to catch on.

Welcome, you will love running TT, keep it stock save some money.

Run T1 Bars & 295s or 275s and a vararam like me. (Varam didn't help me in the HP dept)

Varam didn't help me in the HP dept

I am not so sure that I believe that......I have done a little "ram-air" research using a vararam several years ago..

If they had a chassis dyno in a wind tunnel, I think you would be suprised. Although they still typically pickup a couple on a dyno with no air speed. You may have been slightly low on the dyno when you were run due to your AFR being rich as the ramming effect was non-existant on the dyno, after it has ben exposed to the ramming effect at those engine speeds previously.

FWIW, I think you took some set-up risks , but I think it worked well for you.....obviously.

I may drive a TTA Z06 sometime in July for a session or two. I am thinking about it anyway...

Welcome, you will love running TT, keep it stock save some money.

Run T1 Bars & 295s

Thanks!

That's the plan. Already have the bars on my vert, just gotta get Jerry Onks home from Florida so I can use his lift to make the swap before I sell it. It's going to kill me running stock exhaust after having headers and Loudmouths all these years.

• 3 weeks later...
Varam didn't help me in the HP dept

I am not so sure that I believe that......I have done a little "ram-air" research using a vararam several years ago..

If they had a chassis dyno in a wind tunnel, I think you would be suprised. Although they still typically pickup a couple on a dyno with no air speed. You may have been slightly low on the dyno when you were run due to your AFR being rich as the ramming effect was non-existant on the dyno, after it has ben exposed to the ramming effect at those engine speeds previously.

FWIW, I think you took some set-up risks , but I think it worked well for you.....obviously.

I may drive a TTA Z06 sometime in July for a session or two. I am thinking about it anyway...

I'm sure you're right, but my GPS data shows me only 3-4 MPH faster at the end of the back straight with the Vara Ram & C70s, but I was tracking out 3-4 MPH faster as well. So from what I recall my increase in speed over the entire back strech was the same, I believe the gain was more from the tires allowing me to track out of the keyhole faster.

Now I have seen some good numbers from Vararam equipped cars, but my car only trapped 114-116 in the 1/4 with the Vararam, not the 118-120 a lot of people are seeing, I've also been told that the Vararam is useless with out a tune, but ofcourse I believed it would help me or I would't have put it on. But both the GPS data and the Dyno say different.

I'd welcome you with open arms in TTA, can I run the gps in your car so I can see what your doing