3" Track Increase - fender flair question

JCraven

Since TT/PT allows up to a 3" track increase, what are people doing to their cars if they are increase their track to the maximum?

Lightweight Fenders are legal, cutting metal is too, are people just cutting fenders and letting the wheel tire combo hang out in the wind?

I don't recall flares being specifically allowed, so those lightweight carbon fiber fenders would pretty much have to follow the stock contours so couldn't be modified to cover up the wheels.

I guess one could and I recall a thread discussing the safety implications of open wheel type issues with wheel/tire combos sticking out of wheel wells up to a couple inches (which could happen on one of my cars but the rules are the rules ...(correct me if I am missed something in the rules!) I personally don't have an issue with it, especially in TT.

Flared fenders (as long as they're not lighter) and fender lip rolling are "no-point" mods.

NO-POINTS MODIFICATIONS:

1) Rolled fender lips

2) Flared fenders (if no weight reduction from OEM fenders)

If the front fenders are lighter it's +1 unless the alternative weight method is used.

17) Lightweight front fenders (composite or gutting) +1 (for each)

From what I've seen in the MidWest region, maybe half or more of the TT'ers just let the extra tire hang out in the wind and roll the lip.

Thanks guys, read the freebie section quite a few times (30+ times by now) and I kept missing it. Hmm, TTDD?

Good to know, it didn't make sense to me and I'm glad that I can flare to my hearts content!

• 3 weeks later...

What about a situation like mine here. I removed a small amount of thin sheetmetal and replaced it with a large piece of fiberglass that's probably awfully close to the same weight. Is this just a +1 point add for the flares?

http://gallery.indystars.org/d/94277-1/flares1.jpg

As you can see there's not alot of tire sticking out, but enough I didn't want it running open in the wind.

Front.

http://gallery.indystars.org/d/94214-2/S6000130.JPG

Rear.

http://gallery.indystars.org/d/94218-2/S6000131.JPG

Of course I do know I'll be taking the hit for the added tire width over the puny stockers.

Because you modified the stock fender, it would be a +1 if you're counting each weight point, but I highly suggest you take the alternative method for weight reduction points. I've yet to see a case where the alternative method didn't result in the least points.

Because you modified the stock fender, it would be a +1 if you're counting each weight point, but I highly suggest you take the alternative method for weight reduction points. I've yet to see a case where the alternative method didn't result in the least points.

Oh most definitely I'll be getting it weighed once this season begins.

I've seen 1-2, but its still a very low percentage