Helmet painting

RSCoupe

I've been really curious about this as well. If someone wanted to do a home-done paint job, what's the best approach to this? Even if that simply means painting the helmet a different color than the blah white.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure about how painting will/will not affect the SA rating of the helmet - hopefully someone with actual facts can post on this.

I know some manufacturers have a policy that custom painters send the helmet back for fitting of materials after the paint in order to certify the helmet as SA.

At any rate, I've painted non-racing helmets (mainly goaltending).

You should use water-based acrylic paints on protective helmet made of kevlar/fiberglass.

Water-based coatings will not weaken the integrity of the helmet and being water based they have a lower flammability than other coatings.

I would expect that the clear coat would probably need to be specifically flame retardant.

I have used Createx (auto air) which are water-based. I have used House of Kolor on other applications and they are great, but if I recall correctly, they are urethane and not water based.

I am also interested in this process. I have heard good things about the water based automotive paints. I am curious to see what other info lands in this thread.

That is a fantastic document! Thanks for sharing.

The doc does not mention (at least I did not see it), but an important point is to use WATER-BASED acrylics as opposed to urethane or some other solvent. As I mentioned I like the Createx auto air products and have used them to a lot of success on goaltender helmets, but they don't have to be non-flammable so I could use urethane on those helmets.

I take from the steps listed in the paint section that a regular non-intumescent clear coat was used (since the author just mentions going to the auto store) and this is where I am curious and would like some guidance. Would a water-based clear coat be OK or does the clear coat need to be intumescent to retain the SA "certification"?

Here is my very first attempt at helmet painting. I did not get fancy and did this on a spare helmet I have just in case I jacked it up. With even my very basic knowledge of painting and such it was fairly straight forward. This started out as a standard white Pyrotech helmet with the sun visor on it. Sanding (both wet and/or dry) took place between each coat

Without getting into details this is what I did.

Removed interior padding and the black edge trim.

3 coats Grey Primer

3 coats White Primer (so orange and green stood out more)

3-5 coats of each color

3 coats laquer to seal it up

Attached chrome edge trim

Replaced interior

Being as it was an experiment, I did not get too anal about making sure all the lines were straight.

helm01.jpg

helm05.jpg

helm03.jpg

I take from the steps listed in the paint section that a regular non-intumescent clear coat was used (since the author just mentions going to the auto store) and this is where I am curious and would like some guidance. Would a water-based clear coat be OK or does the clear coat need to be intumescent to retain the SA "certification"?

I know that the Bell manual that came with my helmet mentioned painting. I looked in my box but it is gone.

From Bellsports.com:

It is ok to paint my helmet?

We would recommend using a professional painter who specializes in painting auto racing helmets. Use acrylic enamels and avoid lacquer paints. Never allow solvent or paint to come in contact with the inner liner as they contain chemicals that can cause serious damage. We also strongly recommend trying on the helmet to make sure the size is correct prior to sending it to a custom helmet painter.

My painter removed the eyeport foam seal, vents and rubber molding from the helmet. How can I get them replaced?

Any authorized Bell dealer can sell you replacement eyeport foam and forehead vents can be replaced at no cost. (To replace a broken vent simply use a dab of “instant adhesive”) If the rubber molding has been removed from the bottom of the helmet or eyeport area the helmet must be returned to our service department for replacement. For a $20.00 fee the rubber molding can be replaced and installed by Bell’s customer service department.

From Simpson:

PAINTING

Use 320-grit sandpaper to prepare the helmet surface. Sand evenly until all the shine is removed. Paint only with acrylic enamels. Lacquer paints are not compatible and will weaken or destroy the shell. Do not allow any solvent or paint to come in contact with the inner shell.

Orkboyz that's a nice job you did there...you'll look stylish riding that goat

So you used lacquer clear right? I am pretty old school and do like lacquer since you usually don't need a catalyst and it will typically lasts if done well.

What products did you use exactly? Was the clear a water-based lacquer (I hope)?

Since this thread started I am now dying to free up a weekend to do my helmet

I contacted a couple of professional painters and the concensus is that painting will not affect the SA certification.

While there are intumescent paints out there, none are apparently appropriate for this application so water-based acrylics it is.

The important aspect is when you rough up the helmet to establish the surface, don't sand through the gel coat that is essentially the protective coating applied by the manufacturer.

I've got so many designs floating in my mind now I can't wait. But I will have to..not time till car is done .

Orkboyz that's a nice job you did there...you'll look stylish riding that goat

So you used lacquer clear right? I am pretty old school and do like lacquer since you usually don't need a catalyst and it will typically lasts if done well.

What products did you use exactly? Was the clear a water-based lacquer (I hope)?

Since this thread started I am now dying to free up a weekend to do my helmet

It was all water based stuff. Though I did not like the way the lacquer coat came out. I felt it could have been more reflective but it is OK for a first attempt on a spare helmet used for passengers. I think the next one I do will be using the GM colors for the GTO and I'll actually take my time and plan it all out.

... there are intumescent paints out there...

in·tu·mes·cence

–noun

1. a swelling up, as with congestion.

2. the state of being swollen.

3. a swollen mass.

[Origin: 1650–60; < F; see intumesce, -ence]

—Related forms

in·tu·mes·cent, adjective

A swollen mass. lovely.

An intumescent is a substance which swells as a result of heat exposure, thus increasing in volume, and decreasing in density. Intumescents are typically used in passive fire protection and require listing and approval use and compliance in their installed configurations in order to comply with the law.

Someone needs a new dictionary

dictionary.com

I honestly was not familiar with the word and looked it up. I just thought that what I had found, although very close in definition, was funny too.

Nice DIY paint job!!!

If using automotive paint, is it difficult to get it in small quantities? Any idea what it cost you in materials to paint the helmet? This is great - I'm really looking forward to having the helmet painted and changing it to something other than boring white. Wahoo!

Createx has products sizes ranging 4 fl oz for all their colors up to 32 floz (just base, clear, black and white I think).

I used to be able to get 2 fl oz which was the perfect size, but I don't see that available anywhere.

For the final clear coat, do you just use Createx Gloss Top Coat? Does it hold up pretty well? Will this clear go over pinstriping tape ok?

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions/help.

OK, so here is where I get off the Createx Auto air bandwagon and actually the reason I was curious on this thread....there is actually no clear coat in the Createx Auto air line AFAIK - I guess you could use the Createx Colors clear coat (the Gloss you mention) but I'd wonder if it would hold up - its meant for fabric, plastic and wood and not metal, fiberglass - I actually have a 16 oz bottle that I got 5 years ago in a kit and have never used. It is water based so that would be a safe option I'd think, if not as durable ...heck since the SA cert goes every 5 years that might be good enough?

For the clear, I've typically used Dupont and other products but then I have not been concerned about fire safety as much. The last goalie helmet I actually used a spray can of model painter's clear (Master Modeler I think?)...seriously...it came out great and the helmet took several years of abuse including a least a dozen 100mph pucks square on and still looks great.

• 1 month later...

my understanding is that for the first coat of paint, this paint must be one which will not chemically damage the helmet surface and structure correct?

Also, the helmet must then be covered in fire-retardent material, correct?

Does this mean that as long as i apply primer coats to the helmet which are water based, i can then use whatever type of paint i want as long as it is again coated with a fire-retardent clear-coat?