Newbi question

brainsboy

I have been drag racing for over 15 years now, and this is the first time I have heard of NASA. Also its the first time I have built a sports car for handling verses straight drag. Anyhow I have a 1992 Mazda Miata with a V12 engine in it. I would like to race it occasionally on the track just for fun. Would this vehical be allowed in the HPDE, or any other race events?

Ben

your race class could put you up against some interesting stuff, but thats a bridge to cross much later

as long as the swap is done safely and will get through simple tech inspection that'll get you out there to work your way up the HPDE ladder (which leads eventually to racing if thats where you want to go)

+1

Pics or ban!

I dont agree with your post. Modifications could have been made to the front end. I just want to see pictures. Then ask questions. I am highly curious.

+1

Pics or ban!

I dont agree with your post. Modifications could have been made to the front end. I just want to see pictures. Then ask questions. I am highly curious.

Look, "pics or ban" is a common internet phrase used to encourage the OP (as in "original poster") that we'd like him to post pictures because we're enthusiastic about seeing it. It has nothing to do about banning his car, which I hope wouldn't happen. Clear now?

I was refering to the use of the word ban in general. Not a word that should be lightly used in any forum.

But my appologies to you if I spoke out of hand.

I was refering to the use of the word ban in general. Not a word that should be lightly used in any forum.

But my appologies to you if I spoke out of hand.

No problem, man. No apologies needed.

I guess I need to stop hanging out at the Honda forums. Those guys use that phrase all the time

Anyhow I have a 1992 Mazda Miata with a V12 engine in it.

Interesting. I would think that an engine swap like that would make a Miata handle like crap, totally throwing off its inherent neutral balance. A miata will need a roll bar at minimum to get on track for HPDE.

I would like to race it ....

Keep in mind that first you need to go through HPDE which is expressly, NOT racing. Also, you will need a full cage, safety gear and a log book for wheel to wheel racing. This of course is if you had intended to "race" the miata.

Welcome to NASA. come on out to the next event in your region....which ever one that may be.

Im at work now and dont have any current photos here, I will post some this weekend. Here is an older photo of the build up and in the process of tiging my own intake manifold..

Being that the motor is all aluminum its not as heavy as you would think. I must of dropped at least 100 pounds in smog junk off the motor, plus dropping off the 4 cast iron exhuast manifolds, makes for a much lighter motor. The motor actually sits lower then the original motor so that should help out with cornering too.

for some reason the photos not posting