Kermit the Mustang

black94cobra

black94cobra

Being the Chief of Pit & Grid for NASA SE does have some perks. At Road Atlanta last weekend I had the pleasure of driving Kenny Browns' Kermit the Mustang (club racer)which the fine people at Kenny Brown were nice (crazy) enough to let us use as a pace car for the weekend. For those of you who were there, you saw one hot looking mustang even if you are not a mustang fan? For those of wondering what the heck I'm talking about go to kennybrownperformance.com or follow the link on this web site. Anyway as the proud owner of a 94 mustang cobra I thought I had a nice car until I got my hands on Kermit. Although I could only go 60 mph at the fastest (pacing at 120 mph might have pissed off the race director) I could tell that this car is hooked up and very easy to drive. Going into the tighest corners on the track I didn't even think about braking, just turn the wheel and the car goes like it's on rails, unlike my stock cobra which would slide and squeal and probably spin out. I'm convinced that Kenny has got mustang handling figured out and you are a mustang owner you need to get his handling kits. I know that I will.

They have told me that they will be coming to our August event at Road Atlanta and hopefully bringing an AIX race car and Kermit. If they do bring Kermit for a pace car, come see me and I will give you a ride and you can see for yourself how good it is.

On behalf of NASA-SE, many thanks to Kenny Brown for supporting NASA and letting me drive one sweet car

Jim Price

Chief of Pit & Grid

NASA-SE

• Members

I have to admit that after taking "Kermit" out a few times for pace laps that I was thoroughly impressed myself!

I only wish they made parts for my '68 Mustang!

HistoricMustang

The Jim and Jim show! Oh boy, NASA-SE is going to be really special.

One question? Down the back stretch how far did you go past the flag stand (you know, the one that has thrown me the black flag a bunch of times) before getting on the brakes. Be honest and let us know if you made it over the crest of the hill before doing the binder thing. If you say you were still "upshifting" then we need to talk.

Did the pebbles in the trap look like boulders?

Damn I miss this stuff...................

Henry

• Members

Henry,

I hate to admit it but that is exactly what I was doing in this:

98gtf_400.jpg

I was upshifting at the 'black flag' station into 5th and then breaking (HARD! ) at the 2 marker... looking at those stones and thinking that the red paint would chip BAD if I went too deep!

I only wish I could've taken the pace car lights off of Kermit and see how it compares!

We really missed you Henry!

black94cobra

I was braking down at the 2 marker in my car and I think I was going about 120 or so. But you can do that when you have a modern cobra with BIG brakes. I rode with Bill Johnston in his Z06 vette and he brakes at the 2 marker but we were gooing 40 mph faster. What a ride that was

I only wish I could have taken the lights off Kermit and see how deep it would go

Jim Price

Chief of Grid

• Members
I was braking down at the 2 marker in my car and I think I was going about 120 or so. But you can do that when you have a modern cobra with BIG brakes. I rode with Bill Johnston in his Z06 vette and he brakes at the 2 marker but we were gooing 40 mph faster. What a ride that was

I only wish I could have taken the lights off Kermit and see how deep it would go

Jim Price

Chief of Grid

Sounds about right, I think I was up to 115-120mph at the 2 marker with the 4.6L GT... My only regret was that I never broke hard enough to activate the ABS!

I'll have to try harder in august!

black94cobra

You know the wildest part of the track is when you come under the bridge and down the hill to the start/ finish line. If you can do that without lifting..........yoohoo!!!!!!

Jim Price

Chief of Grid

Has to Lift