How far past the rear bumper can an exhaust go?

mcolangelo2005

I'm signed up for Laguna Seca HPDE next week and will be bringing along a Supertrapp muffler (in addition to an angled tip) in case my car has problems meeting the 92 dB sound limit. In the event that I need to use the Supertrapp muffler, it'll probably extend 12"-14" beyond the bumper cover.

Is this legal for HPDE purposes? I couldn't find anything in the NASA CCRs regarding this. Thanks for any info.

I would leave scrutiny up to the tech inspector. Contact them prior to the event.

Case in point, what if I brough my Carman Ghia or early bug with a rear ward pointing stinger style exhaust? Would I be turned away for HPDE? Where cars wont be that close to each other anyway?

This is a great question. I am sure that others will be curious given changing noise restrictions.

I've seen a lot of people install a 90 degree to their exhaust outlet and run an extra muffler along the rear bumper. Makes it easier to support the weight also (if that is an issue). On one car, the guy fabbed a bracket to attach the bumper to the license plate bolt/screw.