Approved racing seats

Spectator Racing

I'm looking for clarification on seat rules for ST. The CCR gives some suggestions in section 15.16.1, but I see nothing concrete there or in the ST specific rules regarding what constitutes an "approved racing seat." Just suggestions such as no "tube and cloth" seats.

Thanks.

You cant go wrong with a sparco, momo, OMP or similar FIA approved fiberglass shell.

15.16.1 Racing Seat

Some series require an approved racing seat. It is strongly recommend that a racing

seat be installed in all vehicles. A racing seat is of solid design; not “tube and cloth”

designs commonly found in passenger cars. It can be very difficult to properly brace a

“tube and cloth” type seat and the vehicle may not pass technical inspection.

Additionally, the cloth or material on a “stock” seat is typically not flame retardant.

Therefore, the proper installation of a racing seat is strongly recommended.

Thanks, but that's exactly the rule that brought upon my question...

What is an "approved racing seat?" All that rule says is that it must be a solid construction, not tube and cloth.

It suggests that the material in a passenger seat "may not" be flame retardant, but never says if that is a requirement in an "approved racing seat".

I think that requirement needs clarification.

if a particular series requires an approved racing seat, then that series' rules will specify what "approved" means. Otherwise, the CCR language prevails - there are no "approved" racing seats but there are guidelines (15.16.1), and you have to have a seat back brace if it is not FIA approved (or is expired).

Safest route is to pick one out and touch base with your regional tech steward for acceptability.

Don't skimp on your seat choice.

cheers,

bruce

Thanks, but that's exactly the rule that brought upon my question...

It is often helpful to include the rule you are asking about in your post. This makes follow up posts more in line with the original question. Often if I have time, I will include the rule in question to aid the thread.

What is an "approved racing seat?" All that rule says is that it must be a solid construction, not tube and cloth.

If you follow the basic rule of thumb that either an FIA approved fiberglass or carbon/kevlar shell, or a braced aluminum seat will always be accepted, then you are good to go.

look at all the cars in the paddock. You will see they have either an FIA shell or a braced aluminum seat. Simple.

Thanks, guys.

That's the assumpiton that I've made, but if you read closely, many of the Sparco / Momo / Cobra / etc lower level composite seats (below $700) are NOT flame retardant, even though they are of composite construction or FIA approved. I wanted to clarify whether or not this is mandatory, or most likely most of the seats out there are illegal.