Fuel Cells and Bulkheads

dillehayd

Is a carbon fiber bulkhead acceptable in lieu of a metal one? My GTS-3 car is already overwieght, and I'd really love to save the few pounds. Anyone know?

Version 2008.6 of the NASA CCR's:

Section 15.4 Fuel Cell/Tank

A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules. It is recommended for all NASA classes, unless specifically listed otherwise. All cars having a fuel cell MUST comply with the rules in this section, even if a fuel cell is not required. [Note: There are good fuel cells and bad ones; and it may be better to have a stock gas tank than a bad fuel cell.]

• There must be a solid metal bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel cell, filler neck hoses, and/or vent lines, from the driver compartment.

• Good quality fuel cells contain a bladder constructed of Nylon or Dacron woven fabric impregnated and coated with a fuel resistant elastomer and are FIA FT-3 (or higher) rated.

• The cell should be in a container made of at least 0.036-inch steel, 0.059-inch aluminum, or 0.125-inch Marlex, fully surrounding the bladder.

• Foam internal baffling is required, as per FIA FT3-1999 (or higher).

• The filler cap, line, vents hoses, etc. should be designed so that no fuel will escape if the car is partially or totally inverted.

• There should be a small drain hole in the outside box to purge fuel trapped between the bladder and the box.

• Filler necks should not be mounted through a window panel (exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Chief Scrutineer)

Thanks, Adam. I did see that, but was hoping that there was an allowance somewhere that I wasn't aware of. Many org's simply require a bulkhead that seals w/o specifying a material. With all the crossover to NASA from other org's, I had hoped that I'd find something. Cest la vive. My metal bulkhead and I will see you at the track in March.

SCCA says:

Internal body panels may be modified to accommodate the installation of fuel cells as long as modifications serve no other purpose. In the event If installation includes encroachment into the driver’s compartment,

a metal bulkhead must prevent exposure of the driver to the fuel cell. The fuel cell must not be installed any closer to the ground than 6 inches, unless enclosed within the bodywork or OEM floor pan.

a. There must be a metal bulkhead between the driver/passenger compartment and the compartment containing the fuel cell. This includes fuel cells that are flush mounted with driver/passenger compartment panels or otherwise exposed to the driver/passenger compartment.