How many HPDE schools before a comp school ?

nevr2L8

I just read on the NASA/MA site that 10 schools are required to get to the Level 4

drivers catagory which is what I need to go to comp school, right ?

I'm in Level 2 now after 4 schools. At this rate it will take me 2 more seasons of HPDE before I can get into a comp school. Is the 10 school rule hard and fast in all regions ? I'm in the Northeast Region but was looking around for comp schools in the other regions that are close.

Thanks

Paul

What's the rush? I did HPDE for six years before going to TT last year, and I'd still wait another year before W2W. I would suspect that after only 4 events, you are still learning to drive, let alone turn fast AND constent laps.

Kyle

I'm not in a rush, I just want to have the straight scoop.

I'm judging from your answer that 10 schools is the norm.

I was planning on at least another year anyway. I can't afford more than 5 schools in the same year. If it takes two, that's OK too.

More time to sort out my new track only E30 before joining the

SpecE30 group.

Thanks

Paul

most regions try and move you up when you're ready, the "10 event" figure or whatever is just a rule of thumb

better to move up too slowly than too fast though

most regions try and move you up when you're ready, the "10 event" figure or whatever is just a rule of thumb

better to move up too slowly than too fast though

Ken is correct,

The best thing you can do is make it known to the region that you want a path to racing. Some are content to do HPDE forever, some want to instruct, some want to race. If the powers that be know your intended path, things will be better for all involved. You can request an Instructor that also races/raced the kind of car you drive....things like that.

Ken is correct,

The best thing you can do is make it known to the region that you want a path to racing. Some are content to do HPDE forever, some want to instruct, some want to race. If the powers that be know your intended path, things will be better for all involved. You can request an Instructor that also races/raced the kind of car you drive....things like that.

On that, I have noticed that every instructor I ever had asked me "where do you want to eventually go?" Most instructors seem to like to have an idea of why you are there. If the instructor knows you eventually would like to start racing, I have seen that they will try to cater their teaching toward what you want to do.

I had an instructor at Roebling for HPDE 2 and once he was happy with all the skills he wanted to pass on he used the rest of our time to show me some different lines and other racing skills. A student and instructor relationship is a lot smoother when they know your aspirations.

Just my point of view.

--Doug

Gentlemen

Thanks for the feedback.

The instructors at NASA Northeast have been great. I will let them know that I am a SpecE30 wannabe.

I just have a hard time waiting for winter to be over when the Southern Region guys are chatting up Sebring and VIR.

Come on Spring !!!

I guess that makes me a Honda Challenge Wannabe. I let all of my instructors know that my ultimate goal is to race H1 or H2, but I am in no rush. Every time I go to the track, I feel like I get closer and closer to getting my competition license. Working up the HPDE ladder slowly also allows me to prepare my car gradually without breaking the bank.

I like to watch the H1/H2 Racers when they are on track because it shows me how I really need more track time. Usually H1/H2 is out on track with the fastest cars that are at the track. (and with the drivers that have the most experience) I ask myself, "am I ready to be on track with them with open passing?"

The answer is simply "No".....I need more track time.

... If the powers that be know your intended path, things will be better for all involved. You can request an Instructor that also races/raced the kind of car you drive....things like that.

...every instructor I ever had asked me "where do you want to eventually go?" Most instructors seem to like to have an idea of why you are there. If the instructor knows you eventually would like to start racing, I have seen that they will try to cater their teaching toward what you want to do.

Excellent posts guys. I always ask my students what their goals are for the day, the weekend, the season and the next 5 years. Just simply knowing the students goals for the day helps a great deal. NASA has a mentoring program. You might look into it.

As for the topic, every driver is different. Some require more time at each level and others move upward rapidly.

Best of luck and have fun !

I actually inquired about the mentor program last year and got no response...

I emailed the following to Chris Cobetto on 12/29/06 before my first HPDE:

"""""Chris, First allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tom Maimone. I am 23 years old and I live in Richmond, VA. I am currently scheduled to participate in HPDE1 on February 24-25 @ VIR. I will be driving a 2000 Honda Civic Si and I intend on participating in alot of the Mid-Atlantic HPDE's in 2007. I want to eventually race Honda Challenge. I am in no hurry and I want to learn right. I was reading on Nasaproracing.com that a "Mentor" Program was offered and it seemed like it might be a good idea for me to look into. Once again I want to learn right. I am basically looking for a contact that I can Email and and ask questions pertaining to my car, the HPDE's, and might be at some of the HPDE's in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Here is some additional information that may be useful:

I went to the last race weekend at Summit Point in 2006 and established contact with Adam and Pete Curpier, and met the Honda Challenge competitors in attendance. I have emailed them a few times and they have been very helpful.

I have printed out a full version of the 2006 and the current NASA CCR and the Honda Challenge Rules and Regulations and have been studying them for the past year. I feel like I have a general knowledge of the rules and regulations.

I plan on eventually competing in H2/H3 with the 2000 Civic Si.

I am a NASA-Mid-Atlantic Member.

Please let me know if the "Mentor" program is still offered. I appreciate all of your time and help Please call or email with any questions. """""

Maybe I should have emailed this to Sean Thompson??

I know alot more now, especially after participating in HPDE's at VIR, CMP, Summit Point and VIR North, but maybe the mentor program would still benefit me.

Oh and by the way, I know my email from 2006 inquiring about the mentor program makes me sound like a huge douche bag.

... I know my email from 2006 inquiring about the mentor program makes me sound like a huge douche bag.

Did they come in multiple sizes?

What you did was fine. Chris is busy and admittedly has trouble getting to ALL the emails.

Some of us joke that he just slacks and makes everyone else do the work....but how could that possibly be true?

Check Snopes.

I believe that the mentor program is in place although I can not confirm that officially. On my own I am mentoring 3 drivers toward comp school ( God help them ). Have you followed up on your request AT THE TRACK? Talk to the class liaison and director and perhaps they might have better luck getting something together for you. All of the people that can help you are usually at the track the day before things get started.

I know that there are so many experienced people within our region that help new members get going that there should be no problem getting the guidance you are looking for.

Best of luck. It seems your head is in the right place.

See you at the track.

I also thought there was nothing wrong with your e-mail.

In relation to how many, you need to be comfortable on the track and awareness is huge. It's really not so much a factor of how fast you are, but how safe you are in various conditions. When first starting out, it can be challenging to be aware of all flaggers and the communication they're telling you. If you are not able to see all of them lap after lap and process what they're telling you, more seat time is required. When a faster car is coming up behind you, you should quickly recognize this and be predictable. Attend races and learn as much as possible. Sorry, there's no quick & easy answer as it totally depends upon the person.

Anyone can ALWAYS email me relating to NASA MA issues...

registration AT nasaracing.net

I am a computer geek in the real world and am regularly available via email or less frequently this (and other) boards. Chris, not so much geek as busy and travels a lot. For many things I can provide an "official" answer, others need to come from Chris. If anyone has trouble getting a reply, shoot me a message.

Your first mistake was listening to Adam and Pete. Just kidding guys. I spent a year and a half going to races with John Oldt; #75 H1 Honda S2000, and then spent last year in HPDE. Meeting and getting to know the guys I will be racing with was one of the best things I did. I can't speak for other race groups, although I suspect it is the same, but the Honda Challange racers are a great group and extremally helpful. I would suggest hanging out in the Honda Challange paddock are and getting to know the racers. Ask tons of questions, they'll be more than willing to answer. John Oldt is always willing to show video of his runs from any of the tracks he has been to. I have been very fortunate to have had instructors who either drive or actually race Hondas'. If you run any Mid Atlantic events I would highly suggest requesting the following instructors, if available: Adam Penn, Spencer Anderson, or Oscar White. This may be difficult since Adam has moved to the Chicago area and Spencer will be racing H2 this year but I think Adam will be running a couple of events at Summit.

Take your time, have fun. We'll see you at the track.

Erik Olson

Noob/Rookie #10 1992 H2 Honda Civic - Comp. School here we come.

kbrew8991 - How ya likin' Clemson. I was there from 1989-1993 and was back this year to see us choke against BC.

OP, one thing that hasn't been mentioned, you said you can only afford 5 events per year. If that's the case, I think you'll want to stick to HPDEs for awhile, regardless of ability to compete. Racing tends to get much more expensive than HPDEing, and you have to take into consideration more things than just the entry fees. Tires, brakes, wear items (bushings, axles, blah blah blah), safety gear and so on all add up. Then you have to consider damage to the car (body damage, eh, but what about bent suspension arms?). While some do it for less and others do it for more, then average seems to be around $1000/weekend to race competitively. That includes travel/hotel stuff, but also hasn't been updated with the rising gas prices. If you're really on a budget, find and talk to Zephyr Belski and Spencer (above). I know the two of them push that money to the limit and do it on the cheap. I do it cheap too, but I'm also not racing.

And thanks for the kind words Erik Have fun in H2, and get some video!

HPDE's are beautiful thing. Great folks, lots of fun. I did them for 10 months before I went to comp school, something like 25-30 DE weekends and it helped alot.

On the other end of the spectrum is my teammate Rhett O'Doski who never did a DE, went to Skip Barber 11 months ago, and has run 2 Grand Am KONI races already. It's all up to how it feels to you and what much you dedicate to it.

HPDE's are beautiful thing. Great folks, lots of fun. I did them for 10 months before I went to comp school, something like 25-30 DE weekends and it helped alot.

On the other end of the spectrum is my teammate Rhett O'Doski who never did a DE, went to Skip Barber 11 months ago, and has run 2 Grand Am KONI races already. It's all up to how it feels to you and what much you dedicate to it.

LOL!!1

Derek, some of us don't have the "available" time you do......

25-30 weekends in 10 months???

You must've travelled all over the country to find that many events that quick.

We did. From Florida, to Virginia, to Wisconsin, to Nebraska, to Alabama. It was fun and as folks who have driven on the track with me will attest, still not enough!!!

While the DE's might be a bit boring after W2W, they are the best way to learn!

... I know my email from 2006 inquiring about the mentor program makes me sound like a huge douche bag.

Did they come in multiple sizes?

What you did was fine. Chris is busy and admittedly has trouble getting to ALL the emails.

Some of us joke that he just slacks and makes everyone else do the work....but how could that possibly be true?

Check Snopes.

I believe that the mentor program is in place although I can not confirm that officially. On my own I am mentoring 3 drivers toward comp school ( God help them ). Have you followed up on your request AT THE TRACK? Talk to the class liaison and director and perhaps they might have better luck getting something together for you. All of the people that can help you are usually at the track the day before things get started.

I know that there are so many experienced people within our region that help new members get going that there should be no problem getting the guidance you are looking for.

Best of luck. It seems your head is in the right place.

See you at the track.

I live near Oshkosh so Road America is only 20 minutes away, awesome!

I am new to NASA but with Road America as my local track it is an opportunity to not only get a solid instructor but also maybe become one for the track.

I compete in the C-mod class with Midwest Council at Blackhawk Farms and Autobahn with what I would call a unique vehicle to road racing, my pickup truck. I have been on Road America twice the last 2 years with the Milwaukee Region at the March of Dimes benefit event. I have ran in the top group #1 both years and was also a ride along instructor for the drivers in groups 3/4.

With NASA midwest running at RA I can be of great help since I am local not only to get instruction from an instructor willing to ride in a truck at 130 but also maybe someday I too could become an instructor at RA for NASA.

Having a truck comes with responsibility, the first Milwaukee Region event I attended they blasted on the intercom for me to help with cone cleanup which became my duty since then. Then later the next year my first time at Autobahn they came up to me and asked me for help in deploying corner workers and water coolers at the turns for the group hosting the event. So I would expect if NASA needed some help I could do the same, etc...