Announcement R888's, does that mean we can use either now??

Red Tornado

You think that most of the guys feverishly mounting 14's to their spindles are other than the top sprint race guys? You also think its no advantage?

The guys that I have been running with in AI over the last year have been running thru 13" brake rotors like water. In sprint races. Wilwoods, Stop Techs, kyro treated....

I know its seems like the fast guys in my region are going 14. It has nothing to do with a dual purpose race car.

In my case I have two cars and can run 17's if I need to, but on 13" brakes that will set me at a disadvantage.

If you have to run with guys who have been burning down 13" rotors like water, I'm sure there is an advantage. I also think it might make more sense to conserve the equipment a little, but that's just me.

I also think, that if you have the budget to go through 13" rotors like water, upgrade to a 14" brake setup, and buy a couple of sets of 18" wheels, what difference does $100+ a tire make? From what you're said so far, you're going to spend the money to run up front anyway.

Besides, there have been guys running 14" brakes before under 17" wheels. If you really don't like the cost of the R888 in 18", give up that hundreth/tenth/half a second a lap (whatever number the exagger-o-meter is up to today) and vote with your wallet.

Actually, I don't have the budget for all that. My friends were the guys using up a pair of $250 rotors every other track weekend. I wasn't because I couldnt afford the first set of those.

I had cheap rotors. I didnt feel bad about going cheap when even the expensive rotors weren't lasting.

You would recommend conserving the equipment and running in the back?

The guys that I have been running with in AI over the last year have been running thru 13" brake rotors like water. In sprint races. Wilwoods, Stop Techs, kyro treated....

That's interesting...I have 2 full seasons on one set of stock cobra 13" brembo rotors and they show ZERO signs of heat cracking...rears have been on for 3 years.

What do those cars weigh? I am at 3050# but was as high as 3250# at the beginning of 06.

I don't necessarily think I need the 14" brakes but that 18" tire with a short sidewall and nearly zero camber since there is less roll under...and I might need the brakes for the better traction afforded. The R888 says that larger contact patch and center rib are supposed to help braking.

Guess I need to look at that 14" brembo kit and how much the brake pads are...now that the cat is out of the bag! Which wheels clear with the creative clearancing?!

You would recommend conserving the equipment and running in the back?

This is racing, you gotta pay to play, right? If you can't afford to run up front, run mid-pack. Do what you can with what you have. We all pay for our own equipment, so sometimes you've got to stretch it out and make the budget last. How many rotors can you buy for what a 14" brake setup costs?

Anyway, what are you guys doing to crack rotors so often? From what I've seen, that's a result of poor ducting or abusing the brakes.

I am one of those going through $250 each rotors every 6 sessions or so on average.

I firmly believe and have seen many of us with willwoods that have this same issue. They just crack early even with pre-bedding, good ducting, etc.. I am going to brembo's regardless of 14 inch size or not due to quality and lasting power.

Besides a 3,400lb car with a late braking nut at the wheel needs all the help he can get.

both of the cars I was talking about were more than 3200lbs as far as I know.

mine is 3380(3180 empty) with me in the seat and a heavier 351w under the hood.

We ran the 3 hour ARRC enduro in November in 50 something degrees at Road Atlanta. We cracked brand new rotor #1 during the final pitstop just past the 2 hour mark. New rotor #2 cracked in victory lane after the race.

We cracked two rotors during the test n tune day that weekend as well.

We cracked at least one rotor each weekend for several months and I its generally accepted that I am very easy on brakes.