rechargeable versus wired transponders

brian1234

Hi, I've been graduated to HPDE4 although I haven't run in 4 yet. Not sure if I'll do 4 or TT, but in any case I'm looking at transponders. The rechargeable sounds handy, but I'm wondering how long they last? A lot of battery operated devices seem to die after a few years and go to the trash heap. Are there any issues with the rechargeable transponders like that? Are there batteries replaceable?

I have a second question, the 2008 CCR states that everybody has to have a head and neck device. Does this include HPDE and TT guys?

H&N requirement is for W-t-W racers only (so no, not HPDE, or TT (which runs under the HPDE flag))

I've had my rechargeable for only about 18 months now, still runs strong... but I've got no idea how long they generally last. Maybe someone else can chime in here on that?

I bought 32 of them in 2001, 4 won't accept a charge anymore. Sold some others, of the 24 remaining, all still take a full charge.

It's important to charge them regularily (about once a month or so) even when not being used (i.e. off-season).

Brian, I suggest you go with a wired transponder unless you're planning on sharing it with someone else. You'll simply install it once and be done with it. When wiring it, tap into power that is only on when the car is. If you were to purchase a rechargeable unit, you'll have to deal with the hassle of keeping it charge for events and remembering to turn it on before going out on the track. With the wired transponder, I forget that it's even there and never have to worry about it.

Brian, I suggest you go with a wired transponder unless you're planning on sharing it with someone else. You'll simply install it once and be done with it. When wiring it, tap into power that is only on when the car is. If you were to purchase a rechargeable unit, you'll have to deal with the hassle of keeping it charge for events and remembering to turn it on before going out on the track. With the wired transponder, I forget that it's even there and never have to worry about it.

Wired is also cheaper.