2004 Viper Convert "Hairpin" Roll Bar OK for HPDE?

ExRacer

A consistent tracker's Dad wants to come out and explore his son's passion. Will a stock 04 Viper ragtop meet rollover protection requirements for us?

Interested in NASA official tech comments.

Thanks

I would post a picture of your application so people will see exactly what you are talking about because you will most likely not get a response otherwise. Is the rollbar similar to the photo below?

viper_srt_04_1.jpg

A consistent tracker's Dad wants to come out and explore his son's passion. Will a stock 04 Viper ragtop meet rollover protection requirements for us?

Interested in NASA official tech comments.

Thanks

It is up to the Regional Director in the region where you want to run the car to make the determination. Some tracks have more stringent rules than others and there cannot be a "blanket rule" nationally.

Thanks Sean. I figured that would be the case. You know we let the S2000, TTs, BMWs and other asst. units out, but I think to err on the side of safety these days.

I'll get a "heads-up from Mike our tech guy. Thank you for helping me think this one through.

Later,

MD out

Thanks Sean. I figured that would be the case. You know we let the S2000, TTs, BMWs and other asst. units out, but I think to err on the side of safety these days.

I'll get a "heads-up from Mike our tech guy. Thank you for helping me think this one through.

Later,

MD out

Glad I ould offer some insight. As an example, VIR will NOT allow an S2K on track in stock configuration.... Willow Might..I can't say

There is the "Broom Handle Test"

Lay a broom handle on top of the windshield and the roll bar. If you head with helmet on is 2" under the broom handle then you are good to go.

If you helmet is taller than the roll bar it does not do you much good.

Well here's the "official" HPDE poop from our region. VW, Audi, BMW, MBz, Honda all "certify" their bars as a rollover protection device. Chrysler does not evidently. So we have been letting the roadsters in on a case-by-case basis.

This is interesting 'cause with another sanctioning body we had a brand new Z06 coupe with a misplaced pseudo-advanced individual driving it who rolled at Streets missing the entrance to the esses. The A pillars collapsed as well as the hoop behind the driver. We have seen Viper verts roll-over and not suffer this kind of collapse. Of course all incidents are different, but it is a very interesting concern for the HPDE techs as well as NASA in general.

Thanks to all for your interest and time.

If you put an Autoform Hardtop on that snake you will not have any problems in HPDE....

See Viper Challange Series Rules. In their School Gen3 vipers must have hardtop.