roll cage specs

jimbo310

My name is jimmy and I am planning to become a part of the racing family. I have a 1991 acura integra i would like to input into the sessions but I really am experiencing a smaller budget. Is a "street roll bar" enough for roll cage coverage or do I have to buy the more expensive 8 or 10 point system. If someone can answer this question it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody

Jimmy,

The answer to your question is pretty simple. If you intend to race wheel to wheel you will need to have a rollcage as specified in the Club Codes and Regulations which can be found here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

Since you said you want to join the racing family, I assume that you do not have much track time. NASA offers a High Performance Driving Event program (HPDE for Short) which is basically driving school which makes you safe on the track in a controlled environment. When you start off you will be assigned an instructor to guide you while you are on the track. Once you gain more track time and have demonstrated to the instructors that you are able to drive alone on track, you will climb the HPDE ladder.

Once you have climbed the HPDE ladder you can choose to race wheel to wheel or you can participate in time trial events. Time trials allow you open passing on track with other cars that is timed (your only racing yourself) and doesn't require all of the safety equipment of wheel to wheel racing (although most reccommend it). You could also stay in HPDE if you dont want to time trial or race wheel to wheel.

If you do have aftermarket equipment on your car (partial rollcage), it will be up to the tech inspectors in your region to verify that they feel it is safe to be on track and it should comply with the same requirements as listed in the CCR.

Since you have an Acura, if you are planning on eventually racing, you might as well start building your car to a Honda Challenge spec. The specs can be found here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Honda-Challenge.pdf

Have fun and see you at the track.