Norcal Infineon results

mtm68

I would say buy J. Meris's four dour EK.. but im not sure if it's still for sale.

I was farting around online earlier, just doing some research on the wheelbase of the popular honda's.

I just realised that the EK hatch, coupe and four door all share the same 103.2" wheelbase.

I always thought the Integra DA and DC2 had longer wheelbase's than the civic's but i guess im wrong. The DA has a 100.4" and the DC2 shares the same 101.3" as the EG hatchback & DC5 RSX.

Lock's del sol has at 93.3"wheelbase, but the CRX has the shortest overall with 90.6".

Hartanto's TSX will end up with longest at 105.1".

Dave, go with a EK civic coupe since you have so many parts for them already. You could just swap everything, including your carbon hatch & wing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveWright

• slammed_93_hatch

• ekim952522000

• Redstone

well everyone always talk's like a longer wheelbase chassis will be more stable and easier to drive. I'm not sure what the advantages or disadvantes are. I was just curious for myself what the difference between all the chassis were.

I've only ever driven a EG civic, dc2 integra and ek civic on track, which all have very similar wheelbase's. I honestly couldn't say i feel a difference between the EG's 101.2 and the EK's 103.2, but maybe i might in the CRX's 90.6".

Maybe Bob Gill or Mike Lock can chime in and give their opinion on long vs. short wheelbase. They both have driven or currently drive the shortest wheelbase cars honda made. They both also have driven Integra's which are quite a bit longer than the CRX & Del Sol.

I have driven both a Del Sol and an DC integra. I cant really say its a wheel base thing, (both cars did have diffrent suspention) but the del sol was WAY more twitchy than my integra. I took a bit more paying attention to the rear and when I did come out you had to catch it really quick..

I concur with the findings of Dr. Z above. The CRX was a beast at the limit....I routinely ran out of talent trying to drive the thing on the edge....also why i never bothered to make a splitter for that car....should have made a front lawnmower attachment though.....video night was always a blast watching me go off track at full speed and full throttle then right back on again losing maybe a few car lengths.

The integra on the other hand is quite benign so far..I have not pushed very hard yet...but the difference is already very apparent...very stable at speed, very stable during braking, confidence inspiring in the turns too.all traits the CRX lacked.

But then look at what Jeremy can do in his car......Proper setup is really key in any car I think.

I'm curious,

Why the concentration so much on wheelbase? IS it thought to have that trmendous effect upon how easy these carsare to drive?

Wheelbase effects the moment upon which the forces of the tires act on the chassis. A longer wheelbase typically mean longer moments if the center of mass is constant. Cars with longer wheelbases, and thereby longer moments, react slower to changes in net force at the different axles.

In english? Cars with longer wheelbases react slower, both to changes in traction and driver inputs. This generally gives the driver more of an opportunity to react to these changes, and stay on top of them, and allows you to make finer corrections and drive closer to the "limit". It also has the negative effect of making them harder to turn if you get behind the curve. So the shorterwheelbase cars are more nimble in traffic and in tight corners.

But the fact that most road courses do not require fast changes of direction at the speeds we are traveling, generally mean that most people benefit from the advantages of a longer wheel base more than they suffer from the disadvantages.

In general, the design convention for race cars is: the faster you intend to go, the greater the wheelbase:track ratio becomes. Go look at some F1 cars for an example of this.

Wheelbase does make a difference, but you must include other effects in order to make any judgement call. Our 2dr DC2 is about 2" shorter in wheelbase than our 4dr, so we thought the 4dr would be more stable to drive. But we were only partially right. The weight distribution for a hatch vs. coupe is different enough that they call for totally different spring rates and shock setup. And like chris said, you can feel the higher rotational moment for the 4dr, it is not as "light on its feet" as the coupe. Weight distribution and wheelbase are joined at the hips. You can get long and short wheelbase to handle similarly well, just takes different setup.

If you are happy with the way your civic drives, get another identical chassis to reduce R&D time. None of this really matters, bottomline: get something you like.

I have driven both a Del Sol and an DC integra. I cant really say its a wheel base thing, (both cars did have diffrent suspention) but the del sol was WAY more twitchy than my integra. I took a bit more paying attention to the rear and when I did come out you had to catch it really quick..

Well,

I'm new to Honda's, FWD, and short wheel-base cars, coming from an Evo, and the 214 WHP CRX I'm driving is a freaking handful....I'll get used to it, but it does require hyper-vigilence compared tot he Evo. I think if I had to make th epurchase again I woud have looked for a similarly powered Integra. I watch videos of Jeremy in the CRX and I'm amazed...he is constantly making little corrections, keeping that thing on the limit when it is seemingly crazily loose...It's going to take a lot of seat time for me to have that kind of control with this car. Sorry for the off-topic thread jack.

So should I biuld a new EK coupe or EK hatch? I can't decide which would be better.

NEITHER-Better yet buy a ready to race, sorted 4-door and be on track before the March event and not lose any points!!!!

I would say buy J. Meris's four dour EK.. but im not sure if it's still for sale.

Now there's a man with a clue!!!

Dave,

pm me if you might be interested in buying my car. I can give you the low down on what it comes with and I'll certainly work with you on the price since it would be going to a good home.

jmeris

***edit-Dave, check your pm.

I'm new to Honda's, FWD, and short wheel-base cars, coming from an Evo, and the 214 WHP CRX I'm driving is a freaking handful....I'll get used to it, but it does require hyper-vigilence compared tot he Evo. I think if I had to make th epurchase again I woud have looked for a similarly powered Integra. I watch videos of Jeremy in the CRX and I'm amazed...he is constantly making little corrections, keeping that thing on the limit when it is seemingly crazily loose...It's going to take a lot of seat time for me to have that kind of control with this car. Sorry for the off-topic thread jack.

I thought when people were telling you the car was going to be a hand full, you said you were ready for it, because of karting?

Watch this guy in his CRX, he won, arguably, the two biggest club races in the USA. The ARRC and NASA nationals. These guys, its a father sun combo, have been racing CRX's for a really really long time. Some one was saying that the dad used to drive them when they were a SCCA showroom stock car (latest that could have been was 1994).

The crx is a HARD car to drive. But these guys make it look easy.

Well,

I guess I spoke out of my ass (re-Karting), and I'm not afraid to admit it. This Freaking car IS hard to drive, and maybe I have just got to face the fact that I'm just a very average driver:). If I had a chance to do the purchase over, I would NOT buy it again, but would have boght the D Mod E-36 M3 I was looking at. But, that being said, I do not have the money at this point to start over, So I'm just going to have to learn to drive the F***** thing. IT feel like I'm just fighting to keep the thing on track at times...tried to keep a stiff upper lip and pretend I love it after the first few outings, but...it is difficult. Last Whine here.

Maybe there are some changes you could make to the setup to make it easier to drive.

Have you thought of changing the spring rates or sway bars? What about the alignment?

Well,

I keep finding out stuff about the car I did not know. For instance, it is on Koni Yellows, with 800 pound springs...I have no idea if they have been revalved to handle those type of rates. the guy I bought it from told me they were 3011's...the set-up is unorthodox, to say the least, with equal spring rates all around, , no front bar, and a 22mm rear bar... but that all should contribute to a tad bit of understeer, which the car exhibits on turn in, and which is increased mid corner, only to be a bit loose on corner exit...It has a type R LSD, and could benefit from a 1.5 way I think...So the handling changes throughout the corner. I feel like I cannot get on th egas soon enough mid-corner, buthane to be REAL careful on exit. The guy I bought the car from laded it's handling, but...? Maybe it's me, and I'm not giving the car th einputs it needs. It's also unstable under heavy braking, but I have also never driven such a light car w/o ABS...I'll confine any nore discussion about this to another thread or board. Thanks.

Edited by Guest

here are some pictures from the weekend, courtesy of my girlfriend, Devin there is a special sequence in here for you.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Devin these are for you

28.jpg

27.jpg

26.jpg

Podium

29.jpg

30.jpg

Sorry they took so long, been kinda crazy

Well fellas looks like i have a new car sitting at home waiting for my arrival. Hopefully with the help of Mike we can get my new car out there for T-Hill.