Frist time enduro. any hints

Gr8-96GT

Hi, Im looking to run my frist enduro at buttonwilliow in april. Just wondering if anyone had any hints or tips they would like to share. The car will be a cmc2 mustang. Thanks

Read the rules closely and do everything they say. Many are different from normal sprint rules/procedures.

Do a really good nut and bolt of the whole car before the weekend.

Practice driver changes in full gear with HANS' on.

Make sure all drivers fit in the car and drive before the race even if it's up and down the paddock to make sure they can reach the clutch & switches.

Practice refueling without spilling anything! This is huge with NASA rules. Build a really neat funnel if you need to. This can win the race.

If you can find/afford radios...get them. Or have a good pit board and predetermined hand signals (not the best).

If this is a 2 or 3 hour enduro, your CMC car will do fine. We ran a CMC Firebird in a 2 hour last summer in hot weather and it did great. We measured the brake pads before and after the race with calipers and used 3 mm. of pad. We both felt a 3 hour would have been a piece of cake both on the car and drivers.

Good luck,

cool I got a copy of the rules.

Looks like its a 3 hour night day induro. I dont have a second driver so I can rule out the driver changes. What fuel jugs did you use? I got some sribner sp? but I believe they hold over 5 gallons if you fill them up to the top. Thanks for the help.

Not to missed is eat and drink accordingly a good week in advance and hydrate during race. If you do 1.5 hours and only one switch that makes a huge difference over a normal 30 minute sprint race.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all, the above post are all spot on ,also make sure your pit crew is prepared for any & all posible problems. Also I would say use your practice time wisely,get the car working consistantly,not purely looking for fastest lap(if your quick your quick).Know what I mean GOOD LUCK

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote up this list a while back for the 25, but most of them apply:

Tip 1: Finish building the car at the track, the Friday test day before the 25. Bonus points if it sits at the cage shop for 2 months with no work done to it.

Tip 2: Use your first stint to measure your fuel consumption. Bonus points if you run out of fuel on track. Double bonus if the crash crew drags you across the front straight within 100 yards of oncoming traffic.

Tip 3: Make sure the seat is positioned so that your helmet gently thumps the cage halo padding with every bump. After 45 minutes of this you will have a migraine, and the pain will keep you alert for the rest of the stint. As a bonus the migraine response time drops with each repetition, so by the final stint it only takes about 10 minutes.

Tip 3: Make sure you have at least one exhaust leak inside the car. Nothing helps keep you awake like asphyxiation.

Tip 4: Make sure you route your fuel cell vent near the exhaust outlet, nothing keeps a driver on his toes like a fire. Bonus points if your car actually catches fire, but only if it happens on the practice day. Double bonus points if your driver is able to put the fire out on the back straight

Tip 5: If given the choice of colliding with an overly agressive d!ckhead in a Miata or careening across a cow pasture at 90 miles per hour, choose the d!ckhead every time.

Tip 6: Bring a welder. Bonus points if you use it more than 3 times in the course of the race. Double bonus points if the stuff you weld on during the race weighs more than the parts that fell off after not following tip #5.

Tip 7: Only bring enough food to last half the race. Bonus points if some of the crew (always the hardest workers) and drivers don't get any food at all.

Tip 8: If one of your crew says "That ain't right!" ignore him. There is plenty of time to replace a loose bolt once it falls out completely.

Tip 9: Don't worry about flaky driving lights. When they fail, you can see just fine with the 55 watt apex lights which are aimed at 10 and 2 o clock. Don't wire up your stock headlights as a backup. Having functioning lights is just extra drain on the alternator, and that robs power.

Tip 10: If anyone on the crew decides to stick a sponsor sticker on the crash truck, make sure to put it on the brand new vinyl stripes where it is nearly impossible to remove without damage. Don't put it on the paint, where it is easy to remove. Jerry won't go berserk, honest.

Tip 11: If you are entering an EVO, make sure you have at least 3 street cars you can rob parts off when they break.

Tip 11a: Make sure you invest three times as much effort in securing matching sponsor-branded clothing, including two types of matching hats, than in practicing your pit stops. That way you look like morons during the race and prompt laughter, contempt and a little pity from your pit neighbors.

Tip 12: If you are using a fuel rig, don't check the length of the fuel hose, you can always move the car closer to the rig during the first stop when you discover it is too short. Well, once you locate and reinstall the steering wheel.

Tip 13: Make sure you use the cheapest crappy radios you can find.

Tip 14: Ensure anyone acting as a spotter is blissfully unaware of the concept of brevity, or for that matter how to talk on cheap crappy radios. Have them talk quickly with lots of unnecessary detail, so they sound exaclty like Charlie Brown's teacher.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it.