New guy looking for mentor!

Wanna be Speed Racer

Hey guys. Just wanted to throw this out there. I know it sounds desperate but here goes. I have always had a passion for racing and anything with exhaust, but never had family or friends that were into racing. I would like to get to know some people in my area (100 miles) that are out there doing it at any level in NASA. So here is the rub: You teach me what you know. Get me pointed in the right direction so that I know enough to be dangerous and I will help you with anything race related that I can. Work on the car, pit, etc. I guess really I'm just looking for someone to help me get started and in return I will help you.

Oh. If it matters, I'm 33 years old, married. And have a great job to support the habit!

Thanks for your time guys.

Glad your recognized it as a habbit.

Have you done any HPDEs yet? If not, start there. While doing this, also begin attending NASA race events and don't be bashful speaking with various racers there. I'd suggest that you focus speaking with people who drive in the class you're thinking of.

I was in the same general situation you are in now (minus a good paying job to support my habbit). If you don't get any bites here, don't let that slow you down. You will be absolutely amazed at how much support racers provide fellow racers!

Best of luck.

cocaine would be a CHEAPER habit!

the best way to start out is to spend the least amount of money possible. don't modify your car. buy cheap tires and cord them

Hello and welcome to NASA,

Even before you spend any significant money, you can go a long way by volunteering to work for NASA, riding shotgun with an instructor and watching in car videos of the tracks where you hope to race.

I would wholeheartedly encourage you to jump into HPDE1 and drive right from the start but if for any reason you are reluctant to drive your first day, you will learn a lot, have a blast, and build valuable relationships just helping out and riding shotgun.

Dave Royce is the director for NASA's midwest region. In addition to being internationally-recognized for his driving ability, he is an articulate and passionate communicator.

You can find his contact info on the NASA main site under regional contact information.

Dave has a lot of responsibility but if you can get a few minutes of his time, I am sure he will guide you in the right direction.

Best wishes and don't hesitate to contact me directly if you need more help.

God be with you,

cocaine would be a CHEAPER habit!

the best way to start out is to spend the least amount of money possible. don't modify your car. buy cheap tires and cord them

Volunteer to work at an event.

Volunteer to work at an event.

Absolutely! You will be amazed at how much you can learn volunteering, especially if you work in different areas over the course of a season. Plus you earn free track time.

We have yet to have too many volunteers...