Don't forget: Setup on SPEED tonight at 8pm!

Skeen

Congratulations on your first Setup win, Mike!

Just being friendly.

You're right, we do want to see a nice guy finish first... especially a nice guy whose facial expressions cause us to question his carefully groomed Mr. Nice Guy image.

You're not fooling me, man. You'd put that nice young lady a lap down if you had the chance.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skeen

• Mberglo

• Varkwso

• mpowers

Top Posters In This Topic

Got home late, but saw the replay at midnight.

Awesome! Congrats MSkeen! Great first race.

Very late in the show they spent a bunch o time with a cute blonde and her dad. You seemed to be in the background quite a lot

Mike, were you looking to see if her flags would wave at you?

She sure did enjoy showing them off

mpowers

Mike always get the checker

Way to go Mike. You're doing us proud on all fronts.

I love how they made Christopher look bad. He complains about the car, then his female co-driver says it was perfect. See Ya Christopher.

Also loved to see Kaitlin's dad struggling with the car and she's over there knitting.

trackaddict

I am really enjoying this show particularly when I have someone to root for. It makes it better that you are a class act. I have a good feeling about how you finish Mike. I can't wait until next Thursday!

Go Skeen!!!

Now that Skeen's talent is on display for all to see, us lowly SpecE30 racers in the SE don't have to feel quite so bad about being a consistent 3-4 seconds off his qualies...Damn, it's not just the hidden NOX system, the guy can flat drive!

Keep kicking it Mike!

• Members

Oh the Drama! We were rooting for Mike (not Jr) - it would've been cool to see him pull it off IFUstyle!

When Mike didn't win the 2lap sprint, I was thinking, "No way they can send Mike home! What a shitty way to go" It was ballsy to take the challenge, and I'm glad they didn't make you hold the commitment.

The girls are cute, but they're way outmatched. Couldn't they find some real competitors?

It looks like all the teams get new fenders, hoods, bumpercovers. They should issue hammers and rolls of duct tape like the rest of us have to use.

kbrew8991

where are they looking for female talent - they need to pick up our chief instructor for next season along with some SCCA National Autocross Champs from the ladies division... some of those chicks are fast

Let's see if I can answer some questions.

IFU=Inverted Field Unlimited. The SpecE30 inverted fun race we had at Roebling last summer/fall.

The Sketchers thing wasn't my decision--it was Stan's. Really, if you have a good team mate, it doesn't do much for you. You still go home if you lose and you have double the opportunity to do that (you drive each race).

The Challenge wasn't much of a choice either. After Ryan spoke up, the producer jumped all over it and pretty much had his mind made up.

The girls (like everyone else) aren't recruited. It's whoever applies. Laura (the older girl) actually has some MX-5 Cup experience, among other things.

As for damage, there were a limited number of spares. You'll see more and more "home made" fixes.

Mike, it looked like you did sustain a little damage. Remember what happened?

The only real damage I had was on the passenger side door. I was the car that went around the outside of the spun car in the middle of the track. I cut it so close that I caught the rear tow hook of the other car and scratched the whole side of the car. Had a tiny bit of rubber on the LF if I remember right from light contact with someone.

SilverEIGHT

I don't watch a lot of TV but Mike, this has me glued to the tube. I can't wait for my next fix. That little challenge race you guys had was a nice little addition that looks like could be the beginning of a rivalry. You know how those reality TV shows go. I wish the cars were different colors because it's really hard to see who's driving which car.

My wife hates racing and she also hates reality shows and every time you were own I'd say... "There's Mike!"... "Look at Mike!"... "Wow, did you see Mike!"... "They don't show Mike enough". She'd just roll her eyes and go back to reading her book. She's not easily empressed.

Good luck and I hope you go all the way.

SilverEIGHT

Oh crap! Mike ran off on the last lap! I thought he was going all the way.

DANG, that was dramatic! What suspense! I thought you were gone. Everyone hated it when they told you, you were going home. Your face was total disbelief.

Yeah, I really couldn't believe it. Here's some background I posted on the Setup website:

Episode four wasn't without its drama for the Geico team, that's for sure. Stan did an awesome job in race one to keep up with the leaders and capitalize when Chris Prey and Danan got together. Win number two for Geico!

In race two, I started in sixth place and had a great race to get up to the front. As you saw, I had a good battle with RJ, taking my time to setup a pass for the lead. After getting around him, I managed to set consistent laps and build a lead. Then there was a caution to bunch everyone back up. Of course, on the final lap, you see me flying off the track, giving up the lead.

Let me give you some background. Before that race, lexan windshields had been installed on all the cars and the rear view mirrors were not installed. All we had for rearward visibility were the two side mirrors. On the last lap, going into the uphill braking zone, my car did not stop as well as normal, but I felt like I had gotten pushed in the rear bumper by RJ. This was not the case, but I could not see behind. Into the next braking zone, I was not pushing my braking any farther than usual, but the car would not stop. As I said on the show, there was not lock up for roughly the first half of the braking zone. The left front did later lock and I drove it off the track.

Some more information on the brakes: these cars were designed for ABS. Without it, the brakes were heavily biased towards the front. Add to that an aggressive front race pad, stock rear pads, and street tires and you get problems. I spoke with most of the drivers in the Tech Center the day after the race and everyone agreed their brakes were not going to last much longer. Fact is, we were just the first team to encounter a significant problem. The Solstice brakes are actually quite good, but with the format of the show there was no time to test and develop a working knowledge of the car.

All that to say, I'm glad we're going to get a second chance. I'm very happy my crew chief, Ryan, brought up the point about RJ. Since I was not on the sidelines, I really had no knowledge of what happened and we would have gone home if it weren't for his input. At this point, we'll try to work out some of the kinks in our preparation now that we have more knowledge of the car and we'll give it our all in the shootout next week!

This is the word of the day....

Team Work

Ok thats 2 words...but point made. It takes an entire team to make things happen. We all just watched this in action.

Skeen...It has been a pleasure to watch how you conduct yourself on the show. If your ever at an event in MA or SE that I am at...I would like to shake your hand.

Man, I was bummed when you went off. And, I knew you were going home. I kept thinking it was so unfair that they weren't enforcing penalties against the other drivers. But what's really fair about life anyway?

Then all of a sudden, there's Brennamen going at it like he's arguing on front of the Supreme Court! After getting you into trouble last week, it was a cool turnaround to see him get you back out of trouble tonight. You guys rock.

Best of luck.