Setup- Season Premiere

tacovini

Just watched the season premiere of Setup on Speed.

Congrats to AI racer Ernesto Rocco for making the field!!!

Awesome job and I'm surprised I'm the first to post this...where's the love for one of our own?

Congrats also go out to fellow CMC racers Brady Flaherty and Pat Stone.

There were also a few other infamous NASA racers who made the first cut.

Great show and I'm hoping to see NASA go 2 for 2 in winnings.

(Anyone know if Jeremy ever got his pro-ride after winning season 1?)

-=- Todd

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pederb

• tacovini

• Jeremy C.

• Renntag

Watched it also... congrats to fellow racers who made the cut....... it's alot more interesting watching when you see guys you know and reced with out mixing it up...

Brady racing in Belgium and Germany. hmmmmm impresive ... I think Tommy likes Brady I thin k he will do well

I guess very few people watch Speed Channel these days.

Well I was watching, but was not sure it was Ernesto. It looked like him, but I figured we would have heard something if it was him.

Congrats on getting in, Ernesto!

I guess very few people watch Speed Channel these days.

not much to watch anymore... lets see.. nopi vision, barrett jackson or good old PINKS.......Am I the only one that can't stand that show.... OH now nascar.. we have nascar weekend , nascar morning , nascar race night and nascar after hours.. and nascar at the shop ...

Yea, it was me.

Just getting in the show felt like a feat in itself. Getting the time off work and committing to a very intense schedule was tough, so tough that I got laid off my job a week before the show..

I had it easy, some of the contestants were from all over the country/globe really.

The show was a pressure cooker on high heat

The layoff was actually a blessing in disguise, it's all good again..

Ernesto,

Sorry to hear about your job,

I have to find a download of the show, since I have to subscribe to the sports package to get Speed (Comcast).

When is the big finale?

Well I watched the show last night and it almost gave me a headache, the cameraman thought it was a rockvideo he shot. I had a very hard time to keep up with the whole thing, it was very poorly produced and aimed for the below 18 group.

I think I saw also Ross Murray in the back ground during this constant camera back and forth panning.

I hope episode two will be better and I'm keeping my finger crossed for Ernesto and Brady, and Ross if that is him.

Yeah that's Ross. He was crew chief for one of the girls. I believe it was the shorter blonde one. She was in HPDE 3 at Willow Springs a couple weekends ago.

Ernesto is the man! Seems like the competition is a little more concentrated on the road racing discipline... last year at the begining of the show I think they had a more diverse group - drag racers, auto-xers, etc...

I missed the premier episode and would like to watch it. Anyone know where it is online for download? Todd, could you list the dates this will air and repeat for everyone else?

I applied to be on the show early last year for season 2. No love. I am glad to hear more NASA members made the cut !

As far as I know Jeremy did not get what he was promised. I am not sure if he can legally talk about it, but I havnt seen him listed as a driver for Pontiac. Anyone have better info?

As far as I know Jeremy did not get what he was promised. I am not sure if he can legally talk about it, but I havnt seen him listed as a driver for Pontiac. Anyone have better info?

Consider this speculative.

I think (yes, I'm hedging) I read on the Setup forum that what Jeremy really won was a test drive; though it was stated much differently than that during the first season.

For the second season it's more clearly stated that the Setup winner will recieve a "test" with Pontiac.

Use at your own risk.

It was a check ride ONLY! Not a driving gig for pay. It was a fancy tryout at best. Now this year, they might have a real driver on their hands with Ernesto and our local favorite, Jordan Musser! Those pontiac drivers might need to be worried about their jobs!

• National Staff

It was a check ride ONLY! Not a driving gig for pay. It was a fancy tryout at best. Now this year, they might have a real driver on their hands with Ernesto and our local favorite, Jordan Musser! Those pontiac drivers might need to be worried about their jobs!

What exactly is that suppose to mean AI#97?

Did you even watch the first season? If so, where did you get the idea that it was a "fancy tryout"? Maybe I and the rest of the world missed where they said that part...

Legally, I can only talk about what you guys saw on the show. What you saw on the show is what I and the other racers in season 1 were told as well and the impression I think everyone was under.

Still funny some of the stuff I read on the net and I'm sure more and more of it will begin to pop up now that season 2 is running...

It's available on Piranha

Not sure what that is.

As to the other comments above, not sure it was supposed to just be a test ride, but I dont think that has happened either.

I am hoping another NASA driver wins this year.

• National Staff

Oh man, I would race a V8 anyday.

CMC, AI, AIX! I'd love to race any of them.

I've actually had the chance to race a CMC car once and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'd like to do it again in the future.

It feels like a MUCH bigger heavier H4 car with a lot more power.

Same lap times though for the most part.

• National Staff
JC,

Can you share any lap times from the test?

thx,

jb

Jeff,

Sure.

I got somewhere around, but definitly under 20 laps I think by the end of the day during 4 sessions if I remember correctly.

Each lap was a little quicker, but by the end of the day when I was comfortable with starting to push the car, I had over-cooked the front tires and the car didn't have any front end grip.

All said and done, I was 1.1 seconds off Kelly Collins time.

I was happy with it, but know I could have closed that gap to nearly identical times if I'd had more seat time in the car because I was leaving stuff on the table.

As with the whole show, the pressure during the test was pretty intense too...

Kelly Collins after all drives the exact same car every race weekend for Banner Racing, is a paid factory GM race driver, and has 1 hell of a racing resume!

So, take all of it for what it's worth...

Those that have raced at Mid Ohio or know about the track will understand it's not the easiest track to try and learn a new car at and set some fast lap times in...

I was happy with the day and it was one hell of an experience.

Most importantly, it was good to know that if I had the funding (and we all know that's the most important part of "pro racing" in North American), I could be running with the best in "pro racing" in just about anything at any track...

BTW, congrats to the NASA guys and all the other people for making the show! I have a pretty good idea just what your in for and I hope you at least have a good time doing it...

What exactly is that suppose to mean AI#97?

Predominantly that they people they had on the show last year had little to ZERO experience door to door, excluding yourself, and that it wasn't really that well thought out. Don't know too many race teams that would have put the fat guy who desert raced into a G6...? It seemed they were looking to meet a demographic or have a drama story line instead of really putting someone qualified out there to potentially join the pontiac team.

What I took away from last years show was that the winner would get a chance at a test day in the pontiac factory team...no guarantees of anything other than a try out to make the team. Beyond that it seemed very "open" and ambiguous.

This year, the group of drivers, with some exceptions, seem to have a significantly higher degree of experience. I believe the girl's father last night made it pretty clear when he said they had his daughter on the track with a bunch of guys with 10+ years of real racing experience.

I also get a chuckle at the AutoX/Solo guys and how "detailed" they are in car prep. They really don't have a clue what they are in for when the seasoned road racers start leaning on them!!!

Oh man, I would race a V8 anyday.

CMC, AI, AIX! I'd love to race any of them.

I've actually had the chance to race a CMC car once and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'd like to do it again in the future.

It feels like a MUCH bigger heavier H4 car with a lot more power.

Same lap times though for the most part.

There are several cars forsale at http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com

jb