• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pederb

• tacovini

• Jeremy C.

• Renntag

I was laughing at the AutoX guys too, but they were the only ones who had the smarts to do a set down on the car before changing anything. It is gonna be fun to see how they handle the real racing

I was laughing at the AutoX guys too, but they were the only ones who had the smarts to do a set down on the car before changing anything. It is gonna be fun to see how they handle the real racing

Yeah, while they are chasing that .001 second to win against the clock, someone punts their ass on track on the last lap to take the win. And after the race while they are crying...the winner stands on the podium and says "welcome to Road Racing, thanks for attending!"

I too AX'd for several years prior to jumping into AI...WAY DIFFERENT!!! I just hope they don't get their hopes up because they won their first race from outside pole. Wait till they start from the back and get to learn about traffic!!!

• National Staff

Yeah, while they are chasing that .001 second to win against the clock, someone punts their ass on track on the last lap to take the win. And after the race while they are crying...the winner stands on the podium and says "welcome to Road Racing, thanks for attending!"

I too AX'd for several years prior to jumping into AI...WAY DIFFERENT!!! I just hope they don't get their hopes up because they won their first race from outside pole. Wait till they start from the back and get to learn about traffic!!!

Careful there 97! With talk like that, people will start to think you hate all autox'ers!

• National Staff

What exactly is that suppose to mean AI#97?

Predominantly that they people they had on the show last year had little to ZERO experience door to door, excluding yourself, and that it wasn't really that well thought out. Don't know too many race teams that would have put the fat guy who desert raced into a G6...? It seemed they were looking to meet a demographic or have a drama story line instead of really putting someone qualified out there to potentially join the pontiac team.

What I took away from last years show was that the winner would get a chance at a test day in the pontiac factory team...no guarantees of anything other than a try out to make the team. Beyond that it seemed very "open" and ambiguous.

This year, the group of drivers, with some exceptions, seem to have a significantly higher degree of experience. I believe the girl's father last night made it pretty clear when he said they had his daughter on the track with a bunch of guys with 10+ years of real racing experience.

I also get a chuckle at the AutoX/Solo guys and how "detailed" they are in car prep. They really don't have a clue what they are in for when the seasoned road racers start leaning on them!!!

Agreed! The pool to pull from this year was much larger than last year.

The whole "test" thing was not really brought up until the very end of the show.

The whole premise behind the show was "the winner gets it all, 100 thousand dollars, and a factory ride".

Now, I guess you could say "factory ride" means a test, but I don't think 99% of the people out there would agree with ya.

"Factory ride" at least to me meant a seat in a factory supported team for 1 season.

"Factory ride" at least to me meant a seat in a factory supported team for 1 season.

Techically, you did have a factory ride....the yellow Solstices you guys drove in the show!

Is that what it said in the contract? Considering how competitive road racing is and how odd it sounds to allow an unknown, amateur driver into a funded seat, I wouldn't have assumed anything.

C.

I'd be willing to bet that if you asked 100 people here on the Forums that the majority would agree that "factory ride" with regard to racing is a full ticket, full season of racing.

last year they only got to try out to see if they could cut it to drive the car. haven't heard if the guy last year made it into any races or not.

I'd be willing to bet that if you asked 100 people here on the Forums that the majority would agree that "factory ride" with regard to racing is a full ticket, full season of racing.

Yes, I'm sure they would, however, that doesn't answer my question. Everything I heard before, during and after the first season of Setup was that the winner would get a test for a factory ride. My question to last season's winner was if he was personally told something different by the producers before he began participating in the show. How did the contract read? I assume the participants had to sign off on something before things began.

C.

• National Staff

C,

Having been involved in the show, I would probably have heard more about the "ride" than anyone else (except for the other participants).

I would bet to say that what you head about the "test" was after the show and if not, I'd love to hear where you heard that the winning driver would get a "test" and not a factory ride like what was used during the show.

Because the contract was not part of the show, I can't really discuss it. It did take a very long time to read because it was long and full of lawyer.

Is that what it said in the contract? Considering how competitive road racing is and how odd it sounds to allow an unknown, amateur driver into a funded seat, I wouldn't have assumed anything.

C.

See, i think your looking at this with the knowledge you have now that we've all seen season 1 and the beginning of season 2.

My take before it all began, this was a show to find a talented driver. The idea behind the show was to put you through a bunch of "tests" to see if you had what it takes to play with the big fish.

So, let's break down your thought there.

I guess I had a different perspective of road racing in the US. It doesn't sound that odd to me to allow someone that has proven talent to step into a funded seat. (At least, I thought that was the purpose of the show, to find someone with talent. So, the driver is not a unknown anymore.)

The only thing that makes someone "amateur" is the fact they don't have the funding to be a "Pro". So, Amateur is out as well.

Into a funded seat? Well, again, I (and I think a majority of the other people that saw the show or heard about it) took what we heard to mean what we heard.

Just as a hypothetical, if someone from ford called you up and said "would you like a factory ride", would there be any doubt in your mind that they were talking about racing one of their cars for free? Or would you think they meant "just a test".

Just a different seat of circumstances that would lead you to the same conclusion.

I'm just trying to say that I don't think it's something "I" just assumed. It's confirmed to me every time I go to the track and without a doubt, I always have a conversation with someone that goes a little something like this.

"So, what are you getting to race now" meaning, what Pontiac are you racing because you won the TV show.

"Well, I'm doing some more Honda Challenge and I'm also branching out to do some Enduro's this year as well".

"Uhh" they say with a bewildered look on their face. "I thought you'd be racing a Pontiac this year".

Then I get to tell them that it was actually a "test" and that there wasn't a "ride" in it.

Then they tell me "but they said the winner got a factory ride?".

To that I say "Well, yep, don't know what to say. That's life right? I did get 100k for winning though"!

Hard core racers know that it's not really about the money and it's usually why they don't bring it up until the end!

Just some thoughts I had on your questions.

Oh, and I am great full to Pontiac for what they provided me with. It was an unbelievable weekend that I'll never forget and the experience of a lifetime!

Cheers...

It would really be sweet revenge to pursue a ride with a competing team and beat them.

" Hey wasnt that Jeremy driving for team XX that just beat us? "

got me lost. did you get to drive the pontiac and how long and where.

was it like another "race" car, or was it on a totally different level?

above "prkiller" shares a link to his website that has a full description of what happened.

By "totally different level" I wouldnt be quite sure what you mean. He got to drive a factory Pontiac road race machine with a V8.

I've watched all of season 1 and 2 thus far and enjoy the show. It's certainly better than all the NASCAR and bike coverage, mixed in with re-run after re-run of good ol' PINKS

The reality is that the show is basicly.........American Idol / road race edition - Sponsored by Pontiac.

My perception was clear throughout the show when Tommy Kendall kept saying "test for Pontiac". At the end they were gonna see if the winner was a Carrie Underwood or a Reuben Stottard.

Considering the budget for a factory team, if that were guaranteed why bother with the $100k? That would seem pretty superfluous given that amount now wouldn't it?

Anybody that can't see what the show is REALLY about is sitting too close to the television set. The producer is a jackass just like the guy on PINKS. It's all about HIM and promoting HIMSELF. At the end of the day the show is about ratings and generating more work for himself. Everyone cast on the show is handpicked for a reason. It's more politics than racing and obviously more so this season. It's nice to see familiar faces on there that we have connections with this season but really - WHO are these people? The cast don't fit the model for the show. They are on there for a reason and hey that's fine I think this season will be more enjoyable. It comes down to the truth that the majority of the people on the show are there because of connections rather than meeting the requirements as listed for entrants. Although the guy is a dick, the producer was pretty slick this time around. The ratings will be much better this season because the cast actually meets the demographic of the people watching SPEED. Most of the people watching SPEED either personally know or have a familiar connection with.

Don't get me wrong, what Jeremy accomplished last season was great for him and for NASA. I'd love to see Ernesto win and secure a factory ride - he deserves it. I'm just saying that we should all recognize that the show is just entertainment and not really a selection tool for talent. There are just as many starving race teams as there are rock bands - that's just the way it is.

BTW Jeremy...........

NOTHING will be a better moment on the show than...."Learn to race - AUTOCROSSER!". That was awesome.

Thursday nites.

The promos indicate that in this week's episode Brady Flaherty calls over the in-car radio "I just got hammered!"

Should be a fun one...will he go toe to toe with the parking lot bully?!?!?!

Did Brady have an on track altercation or an off track soiree?

Stay tuned....

Same bat time....same bat channel.

-=- T

Everyone cast on the show is handpicked for a reason. It's more politics than racing...

Racing is always about politics.

C.